Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Portland , Oregon
stolen airstreams

Last weekend my wife and I met a woman who owned a 1950's Bubble that had been redone (quite nicely). As she showed us the trailer she commented that the reason that it wasn't polished was because she had heard that if you polish a vintage airstream it contibutes to it being stolen. I was not aware of this problem. Is it fact or (Airstream) urban legend. Anyone know???
64tr0tter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tr0tter View Post
Last weekend my wife and I met a woman who owned a 1950's Bubble that had been redone (quite nicely). As she showed us the trailer she commented that the reason that it wasn't polished was because she had heard that if you polish a vintage airstream it contibutes to it being stolen. I was not aware of this problem. Is it fact or (Airstream) urban legend. Anyone know???
I would say maybe, but probably not.

If the trailer was stolen for a quick sale, a polished trailer would sell faster and at a higher price.

I would think that most stolen trailers wind up sitting in the woods on leased land or get parted out. I doubt a thief would take a highly polished trailer because it would draw too much attention.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I agree with Richard - the highly polished trailers are much more memorable to people so towing one any distance would be a risk. The more mundane it looks, the easier it is to secret it away.

Sure there have been polished Airstreams stolen, but I doubt it is because it is polished, but more for resale, use in some out of the way location, or parts . If I were trying to hide a trailer the non-shiny one would be far easier, even if it is out in the open.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Simply put, my next airstream will have unique markings like nonstandard colored trim, to make it easy for a non-airstreamer to recognize. It will have large, helicopter visible numbers on the roof. Something that looks the same from left or right, like 88 or 69. I will engrave the window glass with the VIN/SN.

It will also have a GPS tracking system/alarm. Because thieves are stupid and may ignore all of that. If it gets stolen anyway, I *will* know where it is. The GPS signal issue will be solved by running a 12v supply to the AC, and installing the device inside the AC shroud where it will be inaccessible, yet have a good, non-blocked view of the sky. Used car dealers can buy these units for around $200 now, with a certain number of location inquiries included in the price. Solar will keep it running.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I was thinking a polished Airstream would be less likely to be stolen, like a bright orange Corvette with yellow racing stripes. The more eye catching and distinctive, the less appealing to the discriminating thief who does not want to get caught.

It would also be easier to find even in Google Earth photos.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
It's been almost a month now since my trailer was stolen and nary a word. Police don't care, too many other more important things to look for. It's bright and shiny even if it's old, anything that looks sexy will attract a thief and Airstreams qualify. Cities have red light cameras and cameras up and down the highways but getting the right people to spot it is the problem. I will put a GPS tracker on my next rig, just need info on what to buy besides LoJack.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
It's been almost a month now since my trailer was stolen and nary a word. Police don't care, too many other more important things to look for. It's bright and shiny even if it's old, anything that looks sexy will attract a thief and Airstreams qualify. Cities have red light cameras and cameras up and down the highways but getting the right people to spot it is the problem. I will put a GPS tracker on my next rig, just need info on what to buy besides LoJack.
Onstar "in a box" will be sold soon through BestBuy. Don't know the details of exactly what all features will be in the non-OEM version sold this way. Stay tuned.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Just curious - how often are the trailers that are stolen locked up? I am assuming, as in most cases, it doesn't matter all that much to a dedicated thief as they can cut through most locks.

But what about one of those boot devices that cities put on cars when they want to immobilize them? I know from experience that those things are nearly impossible to remove Would be a pain to lug around, but especially when parked for any length of time at home or in storage in particular I would think these would deter a thief.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Nightwatch many posts on this, do a search.

It seems to me, from the reports here, that most trailer thefts are planned in advance with the thief arriving with tools and equipment and with a destination in mind.

I don't believe stolen trailers get parted out, because there is no ready market for used RV parts.

I believe that most of them end up being used as stationary living quarters so there is no need for title or registration.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #10

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Dave - just what sort of GPS/alarm system are you referring to? I'd love to have one that is solar powered and located up top so it would be out of sight to people but hopefully open to the sky for good signal.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
yea, Dave, me too....
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cedar Falls , IA
Putting GPS on your A/S is a great idea but please Mr. Park, don't put anything on the roof. Street cops can't see it and the fact of the matter is, most police departments don't have aircraft. You are just putting things against the metal that don't need to be there.

As far as GPS goes, LandAirSea make some very good units. You can find them on the internet at www.landairsea.com

Placing your VIN number on more than one spot is also a great idea but not on the windows, put it where only you know so if its stolen you can tell the Officer taking the report and he can add it to the NCIC record. That way, if a thief gets rid of the VIN he will be unlikely to find the one you've hidden and aids in recovery.

Most vehicle's (any vehicle) are stolen because they are easy targets. Making your A/S a tougher target will help. Try to store it inside and place an alarm on it that will make noise if broken into. Thiefs hate noise and light, they attract the attention they are trying to avoid.

Also, try to keep valuables out of sight when away from your A/S. A thief will look through a window and come back later when you aren't around and break into it.

Don't store your LP tanks with your A/S. A good number of thiefs want the tanks so they can make meth with them.

A little common sense goes a long way but try not to be paranoid, it takes away the fun we are trying to have with our A/S. Also remember, that no matter what you do there will be theft out there and nothing is 100%.

Shiny side up!!!
Hendrick2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
From this forum I think polished Airstreams are stolen more than non-polished and many have already been pre-sold for a pool cabana etc. or shipped to a foreign buyer, my guess. I'm getting that GPS when it comes out, but I don't think I have to worry about anyone stealing a 28ft shiny trailer, not as cute as the little ones, and can't fit in a Cargo box.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwatch View Post
Just curious - how often are the trailers that are stolen locked up? I am assuming, as in most cases, it doesn't matter all that much to a dedicated thief as they can cut through most locks.

But what about one of those boot devices that cities put on cars when they want to immobilize them? I know from experience that those things are nearly impossible to remove Would be a pain to lug around, but especially when parked for any length of time at home or in storage in particular I would think these would deter a thief.
While driving around in England a few years back I noticed that many parked caravans (travel trailers) did indeed have those bright yellow 'boots' secured to their wheels. Even my cousin in Cornwall had one on their caravan....and it was in their yard behind a locked gate!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Note: GPS on an Airstream MUST go on the roof. The double aluminum skin blocks enough of the GPS signal to make any interior or below location unusable. Note these units require a clear, uninterrupted view of the sky - only glass and plastic are acceptable, and even then, some glass can cut the signal greatly.

The car dealers buy units that have transmitters that can return the location within 10 feet, if they can get the signal out.

http://www.northlanddealers.com/medi...2012-07-09.pdf

Informer Lite - Advanced GPS fleet Tracking Solution by RMTracking

The first one is a better plan/cost... The second one is a more advanced unit.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
@Dave Park: Is there anything extra offered by the "Informer Lite" that is really useful for trailer security/recovery? The Northland Tracker is WAY cheaper... $100 less up front and it includes 3 yrs of airtime. I can't tell from the PDF if the "daily auto reporting" cuts into the included "500 locates" or not, but if you can turn off the auto-reporting as long as it's within the geofenced area, it seems like $199 for 3 years of tracking is a smokin' deal.

Hopefully you'll get that Sovereign from Princeton and need the GPS tracker soon.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Indeed, I have the first one in my truck, and I just log in to a website to get locates. I won't consider keeping a trailer without one now (plus a small solar panel to maintain the battery for it). It will fit nicely inside the AC shroud.

It's basically a custom cellphone with GPS, that is accessed by text message by the company, and texts back its position. Neat gadget. The one in my truck has line of sight to the sky through the dash and is accurate to about 7-8 feet - less than the length of the truck.

I'm not hopeful on the Princeton Sovereign, but if I am lucky, I'll post very detailed pics here! And fit a tracker!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So you've already purchased one of the Northland ones? Does the unit come with environmental specs? I'm thinking the inside of the AC shroud is a fairly harsh environment for electronics when the AC is in use in a Texas summer. It's the most logical hiding place... someplace a filthy scumbag ...er... thief isn't likely to look as long as the AC is working, but if the AC cooks the thing it would be counter-productive.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I've had one in a car in central TX heat for three summers with no problems and no ventilation - it still works flawlessly. I suspect in the shroud may get very hot, but with all those slits it'll never get up to the 160-170F of the car interior...

I test it with a ping each time I change my wiper blades (about 2x/year) and I pinged it a few times when I was loaning my car to a friend to make sure he was where he said he was (to make sure he was on time - not because I didn't trust him!)

All it needs to work is 12V and a clear view of the sky.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Jammer - honestly I have used the search function on this site, and maybe I'm using it incorrectly, but it seems to spit out a ton of irrelevant posts that don't have anything to do with my original search terms. Searching "Stolen Airstreams" pulled up the following results as an example:

Probably a better way to narrow down searches though...

Anyway, thought this link might be helpful as this seems like a great way to deter theft without going to all the lengths for a GPS hooked to a solar system with a direct hard line to the pentagon etc.

PitBull TireLock - Wheel Locks for your most demanding Parking Enforcement and Anti-Theft needs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	111986  
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote