Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
grand rivers , Kentucky
Sprinter lemon buyback

everyone's entitled to one mistake and we traded out 25' safari in on a Sprinter/Pleasure Way b van this year. Within a 1000 miles the drive train was making a horrible noise, confirmed by the regional sprinter service supervisor who drove 500 miles to check it out. After another month of additional attempts to fix it we were told that Dodge would buy back the vehicle. We are supposed to hear from Impartial Services Group of Texas to negotiate the buyback. Does anyone have any experience in a b van buy back. I can't afford to lose a lot of money on this since I will have to get both a truck and Airstream again to get back on the road.
bfusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
In California, a buyback is a buyback. Either it qualifies under the "Song Beverly act" or not. Lots of information on the web on that one. However, you are not in California and you might get whats considered "Trade assistance". This is monies that can be applied to make up the difference between the problem vehicle and the new vehicle. Once a title is branded a lemon the value drops even lower than what the auction can bring for that vehicle with a clear title. You might ask about trade assistance in liu of the buyback... or incase you dont qualify for the buyback. Not sure what the problem is with the Sprinter but im sure I will get up to speed soon as our Mercedes dealership was just awarded the franchise. Daimler/Chrysler had an ugly divorce with this product so all the Sprinters are coming back to the MB franchises with the exception of some Freightliner service facilities. Good luck with your transaction and sorry it worked out this way.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you purchased new, and they're doing a buyback, it should be essentially a lemon-law transaction. The standard for that is your original purchase price less a charge for mileage. If you were having documented problems at 1000 miles, that is a good starting point for negotiation of the mileage they can deduct.

It sounds like you may not be going through the whole rigmarole of a lemon-law buyback (you haven't mentioned having a lawyer, for example) but they probably know you're eligible and want to settle without lawyers getting paid. Read up on your state's version of lemon laws and see what the usual outcomes are there. You shouldn't have to lose a lot of money because the new vehicle you bought couldn't even make it through its own warranty period.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, some buy-backs are done through an arbitration process, no lawyers involved. Some people lose a little bit, some people get every thing back, some people get the same exact vehicle in the next newer model year, and some get to keep the same vehicle with a free extended warranty if the lemon concern is minor. Your's sounds like a major concern. Good Luck.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
We recently bought a car back that had its first occurance at 1900 miles. Even thought Lemon law is 18 mos or 18000 miles this car had 3 years in service and nearly 40,000 miles on it. The client got nearly all his money back including tax ad license fees.

If there is truly a problem that cant be fixed in a reasonable time or repair attempts then I think its warranted but unlike you there are folks that make this a sport here in California and get cars repurchased for the wrong reasons...

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
We recently bought a car back that had its first occurance at 1900 miles. Even thought Lemon law is 18 mos or 18000 miles this car had 3 years in service and nearly 40,000 miles on it. The client got nearly all his money back including tax ad license fees.
In Georgia, IIRC, the mileage is based on the first occurrence and doesn't use the final mileage in the calculation. I would think that you should be entitled to a full refund of purchase price since the first occurrence occurred with so little mileage...there should be no depreciation for mileage in other words.

The way it works in Georgia you would get the original purchase price less a fixed amount (I think it used to be $.15/mile) so I would think you would have (.15*1000=$150.00) $150.00 deducted from your original purchase price.

Just remember, this is based on Georgia's law. When the law passed there was much fan fare so the above is based on memory and not on personal experience.

Good luck and keep us informed.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote