Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
SOB Provides Entertainment

We camped at the My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown, Kentucky for a night last month and thoroughly enjoyed the park. The facilities are very nice, great walking paths and very friendly staff.
While we were there a large motor home of an unspecified breed pulled in. He prowled the camp sites for several minutes and eventually chose one directly across from us. After they made several painful attempts to back their rig into the spacious spot the feat was accomplished. Then the leveling started. They took the better part of the next hour plus almost a cord of wood under their levelers before they were satisfied. I could not resist taking a picture early the next morning before they awake. All four wheels were off of the ground! Needless to say this sight was more photographed than the wonderful scenery in the park. We had many visitors walking down our lane pausing in front of Chummy and staring at this anomaly. The owners of the rig, those master levellers, stayed inside all night with the curtains tightly pulled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sob resized.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	21312  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Just the alpha dog showing off.

"My hydraulic levelers are so powerful I can lift all my worldly possessions off the ground"

LOL! Thanks.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
We camped at the My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown, Kentucky for a night last month and thoroughly enjoyed the park.
Obviously a master feat of dealer training. This defies logic. I would have been hard pressed not to go over there the next day. Probably the first thing out of my mouth would have been "Hi, you having trouble with the levelers?".

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Off Ground NOT good

If I couldn't have done better in selecting another available campsite, I would have left. Glad you and others got a chuckle out of this, as I am sure I would if I had been there. The torque and frame flexing on these motorhomes can be great enough to pop windshields out of their mounts. I have had this to happen to several friends to the point that they will not use them at all.. So much for convenience. I'll keep my tires on the ground and use my BAL stabilizers.
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Poor fellow,
Either his control is not calibrated or he hasn't had proper instructions. I see he has an 'auxillary' entry step. It's really needed for that lofty perch.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Shock and Awe!!

WOW!

I should forward that pic to the folks at HWH Corp. (they make the jacks and leveling systems used on a majority of the MoHo's out there, plus the slide room mechanisms) as they would get an enormous kick from that one! That is a HUGE NO NO!!!!

What he should have done was drop the air from the air bags (if he had them) to lower the coach, then actuate the jacks. If no air bags, then he should have done what Silverhobby said....get another spot! Torqueing the frame is the least of his problems!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
That is too funny Chaplain....Now if Robin Williams were to get ahold of that idea in the movie RV I think I would have lost it
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote