Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sleeping Beauty is hereby banned!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...hool-promotes/

What next?

Peter Pan? For an able bodied person (Peter Pan) competing against a person with a physical affirmity (Captain Hook).

Jungle book: Baloo the bear becomes a transgender bear dancing with the great ape?

Snow White: For calling a diminutive vertically challenged person Dopey?

Beauty and the Beast........don't need to go any further.

101 Dalmations: Animal abuse; for giving your dog fertility treatments.

Cinderella: unreasonable curfew time and child abuse.

Goldie Locks....no Amber Alert issued?

Humpty Dumpty: Equal rights for women; no women in the Kings men?

Jack and the Beanstalk. unnecessary force in trying to detain a thief? The Giant's second admendment rights were infringed upon as he clearly wasn't allowed to use a gun to blow the thieving blighter away.

Any others?

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Well Bless her Heart.

If you're from the south, as are we, you know EXACTLY what that means.

Two things.

1) Somebody needs to explain to this individual what the word fiction means.

2) We all need to keep her away from the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales. I'm sure those stories would cause her to want to change society for decades to come. I can hear it now, "Oh, the Horror".

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Well Bless Her Heart, indeed.....
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
LOL!

Rapunzel- what's wrong with a little surrogacy? No hair extensions??? Weak manufacturing sector...

Little Red Riding Hood- elder abuse and lack of animal control. Must be a diversion of county resources...
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
If she had not been kissed, maybe she would not be explaining this to,her six year old.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Oh, brother.
Will the lunacy never end?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
AF...where Fantisy rains suppreem.

Bob
Old 11-27-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Whats next? Well of course it’s not fair that some people can afford Airstreams and others can’t.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Charlie Brown for bullying......

And if the mom thinks the Disney versions are bad, yes stay away from Grim and the other originators. Giambatusta Basile's Sleeping Beauty, that king does much greater harm than a mere kiss.

The disneyfication of the nation, all happy endings, just rewrite what is unpleasant. Sounds familiar.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Political correctness has taken on a life of its own, and as it turns out, he is an authoritarian busy body.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Time to go camping!

Honestly, sometimes it is difficult to substantiate claims. THERE ARE bad things but perspective has a lot to do with it, hey, look at Cinderella, with the right shoes, a girl can go anywhere! Isn't that what many women learned from that one?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Another opinion for consideration.

Can you find any merit in her argument at all?

I wonder what the reaction in America was like toward Susan B. Anthony while she was discussing her views on it being time to change the culture and stop denying women the right to vote. There were probably plenty of dismissive reactions about "political correctness" - or whatever it would have been called at the start of the 20th century - perhaps a few gentle "bless her hearts" as well - but if it weren't for her shaking things up and causing society to pause and think about long standing traditions differently, 50% of the US population wouldn't have a vote.

Food for thought.... [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Another opinion for consideration.

Can you find any merit in her argument at all?

I wonder what the reaction in America was like toward Susan B. Anthony while she was discussing her views on it being time to change the culture and stop denying women the right to vote. There were probably plenty of dismissive reactions about "political correctness" - or whatever it would have been called at the start of the 20th century - perhaps a few gentle "bless her hearts" as well - but if it weren't for her shaking things up and causing society to pause and think about long standing traditions differently, 50% of the US population wouldn't have a vote.

Food for thought.... [emoji3]

Woman’s suffrage, akin to the elimination of slavery, was going to happen with or without mindless censorship, and both did in fact happen in the absence of censorship. Political censorship exists only to narrow worldview and the collective intellect.

We have spun our culture into a quest for limited intellect, all while the the individuals access to information is at a new historic precedence.

What I am saying is that in an atmosphere censorship, the merits of an event or story are not discussed, and neither are the pitfalls. The individual is denied the standing even to make the right choice when the only choice becomes a form of collective ignorance.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Woman’s suffrage, akin to the elimination of slavery, was going to happen with or without mindless censorship, and both did in fact happen in the absence of censorship. Political censorship exists only to narrow worldview and the collective intellect.

We have spun our culture into a quest for limited intellect, all while the the individuals access to information is at a new historic precedence.

What I am saying is that in an atmosphere censorship, the merits of an event or story are not discussed, and neither are the pitfalls. The individual is denied the standing even to make the right choice when the only choice becomes a form of collective ignorance.

How do you come to the conclusion that Hall's recommendation equates to "mindless censorship"? She actually argues that removing the book entirely is not her goal and suggests using it as a platform for discussion with older children as well. That's the opposite of "mindless" or "censorship" to me - it feels like an invitation in a suggestion that there's a discussion worth having about something that isn't examined all that much but is sort of taken for granted. It sounds like an invitation to explore merits and pitfalls just as you suggested DON'T happen in censorship.

Wouldn't examining the issue raise, not lower, our intellect?

Someone much smarter than I once said the unexamined life isn't worth living... [emoji3]

I'm interested in exploring it further.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #15

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I wonder how many job offers she has had after getting world wide notice for her non-supported-British free speech statement?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
How do you come to the conclusion that Hall's recommendation equates to "mindless censorship"? She actually argues that removing the book entirely is not her goal and suggests using it as a platform for discussion with older children as well. That's the opposite of "mindless" or "censorship" to me - it feels like an invitation in a suggestion that there's a discussion worth having about something that isn't examined all that much but is sort of taken for granted. It sounds like an invitation to explore merits and pitfalls just as you suggested DON'T happen in censorship.

Wouldn't examining the issue raise, not lower, our intellect?

Someone much smarter than I once said the unexamined life isn't worth living... [emoji3]

I'm interested in exploring it further.

How can something be examined when it cant be discussed, and who gets to decide what is proper and improper?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
banned books: " Little Black Sambo" for those of you old enough to remember. Need I say?
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
banned books: " Little Black Sambo" for those of you old enough to remember. Need I say?

And still, why is banning, instead of being unbanned and discussed as a monumental and degrading atrocity seen as the superior position?

How is pretending that events and atrocities never happened not a form of ignorance?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Reading the linked article...a parent has asked that the fairy tale be banned because she sees the handsome Prince waking with a kiss the slumbering Beauty as “inappropriate sexual behavior”.

She is unlikely to succeed, nor to garner much support, in my opinion, in her quest to have the book banned.

I shudder to think, were she successful, what rabbit hole she would descend into in order to properly and thoroughly purify her child’s environment.

Maggie
Old 11-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
How can something be examined when it cant be discussed, and who gets to decide what is proper and improper?

J. Morgan - she recommended discussing it with children of an older age, not banning the book entirely, just having a reasonable age limit from which to discuss it. Like we have age limits for drinking, driving (never together!), service in the armed forces, etc.

I think you may be reacting more to the headline than the actual substance of what she said.