Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #101
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sarge, if you load the bike so you can exit forwards, you can emulate Evil Kneivel. How many Airstreams can you jump?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Sarge, if you load the bike so you can exit forwards, you can emulate Evil Kneivel. How many Airstreams can you jump?

Gene
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX
No can do, if I loaded it with the rear first the wind would rip off the windshield and dash because it would act as a parachute. The alternative to that would be to have a special made topper that sits tall enough to cover the bike and allow me to sit on it at that moment of unloading. Standard toppers are not tall enough for this purpose which only leaves loading the bike in the forward position.
After I wrote my last post we (wife and I) happen to be looking through some pics and run up on a system that I seen at one of my trips on the Run For The Wall to DC. It used a rail system that slide back and tilted with winches, then loward the bike to the ground, taking this and putting together what he has his set up gives me a viable system to load and unload without having to ride it up and out of the truck or purchasing an expensive load/unloader. I do have the knowledge to make either one, I will have to weight out in my mind which one is most ecomnomical and has as least amount of wear and tear on my medical conditions.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #103
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good luck with your engineering, Sarge. We're trying to figure out how to take a mountain bike, spare tire, generator, 5 gal. gas cans, hoses, etc., etc., in the back of the pickup. Deciding how to take all the toys and travel light is quite a challenge.

Gene
Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #104
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Here is a pic of our 2 bikes with a total weight of about 500 pounds.
mtnman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06927.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	64553  
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Good luck with your engineering, Sarge. We're trying to figure out how to take a mountain bike, spare tire, generator, 5 gal. gas cans, hoses, etc., etc., in the back of the pickup. Deciding how to take all the toys and travel light is quite a challenge.
Gene
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Thanks Gene, its not the engineering is the problem because I have seen a viable working unit, it was the fact that I was trying to make sure there is not a little cheaper way of doing it. I also was considering the other things such as generators and such as well to carry. I was recently looking at a trading post that sells trucks and equipment and seen a wrecker that would work for all of the above.
There is an L shaped arm that sits between the frame with the top of the L being attached to the front top of the bed, the bed sits on rollers and as the arm rotates it pushes the bed back and tilts it pushing it down a slide, when fully rotated it leaves the bed sitting on the ground flat. So my thinking is one of these is not that costly to make or even purchased and because it does not have to be made to hold 20,000 LBs, but only 2000 lbs. This would allow me ride the cycle up on the deck and tie it down, have the generator mounted on it, tool boxes for the other things then just load it to the truck. At the same time when arriving all you have to do is unhook the TT, pull to the rear of the trailer or stay at the front unload the bed, then no one can just walk off with the generator or your other stuff.
Given my medical conditions I have this may be the most viable method, even when I get so bad that I can no longer ride it will still work for other things such as go cart, kids bicycles and such.

Sarge
Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 AM   #106
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
Bike carrier for Airstream

How do you transport a bike?

I image you put it on the back, does anyone have any pics of the bike holder??? or have a carrier model they could link me up to.

Dg
busybuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybuoy View Post

I image you put it on the back, does anyone have any pics of the bike holder??? or have a carrier model they could link me up to.

Dg
Nope. The extra weight will ruin your trailer frame. The bike needs to go into the back of your tow vehicle.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #108
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dg, look around the forum. There are threads on this topic. Some people put them in the TV, other within the trailer though I can't really figure out they prevent them from falling into things and causing damage. Collapsible bikes are a solution, but the cheap ones are probably low quality bikes. I assume you are talking about bicycles, not motorcycles.

Gene
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Here is a pic of our 2 bikes with a total weight of about 500 pounds.
mtnman
What kind of motorcycles are those?
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #110
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000 View Post
What kind of motorcycles are those?
They look like Yamaha 250 dual sports.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Dg
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
DG,
depends on what kind of bikes you are talking about, if it is a bicycle then I dont see why you cant put it on the bumper, anything else would have to go inside the trailer or in the TV.
but what I was trying to figure out is a motorcycle and the cheapest way to load and unload from the pickup because of its size and weight. It is a HD Ultra Classic and weighs in at a little over 1000 pounds.

Sarge
Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #112
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
DG,
depends on what kind of bikes you are talking about, if it is a bicycle then I dont see why you cant put it on the bumper, anything else would have to go inside the trailer or in the TV.
but what I was trying to figure out is a motorcycle and the cheapest way to load and unload from the pickup because of its size and weight. It is a HD Ultra Classic and weighs in at a little over 1000 pounds.

Sarge

Sarge,

I better say that I was referring to an Airstream Land yacht 26 -32'. Also, the bikes will be a single Motor cycle about 250 cc or less. I know there are carriers around and wondered if anyone has had any experience with them. I'll have to put it on the MH or have it put on.

Dg
Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Sarge,

I better say that I was referring to an Airstream Land yacht 26 -32'. Also, the bikes will be a single Motor cycle about 250 cc or less. I know there are carriers around and wondered if anyone has had any experience with them. I'll have to put it on the MH or have it put on.

Dg
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
DG,
A cycle that small on a MH should not be a problem, in fact on most MH you can put all the way up to a 750/800 Jap bike or a HD Sporster. I would strongly suggest though you find the lift that is elect or hydrolic that lowers to the ground, this way if you have to access the rear of the MH you can lower it to get it out of the way. it also saves on the muscles on pushing the bike up and down the ramp of a fixed carrier.
Sarge
Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #114
Rivet Master

Someone asked earlier onthis thread about an "alternative vehicle"...Tesla Motors

I think 2air said he'd take 2.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up Vespa

I love my Vepa GS 200 and carry it behind the MH with a "Tilt-A-Rack" aluminum carrier.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
DG,
A cycle that small on a MH should not be a problem, in fact on most MH you can put all the way up to a 750/800 Jap bike or a HD Sporster. I would strongly suggest though you find the lift that is elect or hydrolic that lowers to the ground, this way if you have to access the rear of the MH you can lower it to get it out of the way. it also saves on the muscles on pushing the bike up and down the ramp of a fixed carrier.
Sarge
Thanks Sarge,

I have googled a couple and see what you mean about lowering the carrier to the ground.

POP Rivet,

Tilt a Rack is perfect for smaller bikes. So easy to install too. Have you seen the racks that hold the big Harleys? Gawd.. wouldn't that be the way to travel. wooga... sort of see myself with my bitch on the back seat. Oh.. did I say that sweety !! or the 50 cc scooter hmmmmm
Old 08-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #117
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post
I love my Vepa GS 200 and carry it behind the MH with a "Tilt-A-Rack" aluminum carrier.
Pop Rivet,

I see you are from Florida. I'm flying over from Australia next month and considering going directly to Lazy Days. They look huge. Free coffee too.
Have you heard good things about these guys or should one consider another means of purchasing a LY MH. Not many around 26 or 30 ft.

Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #118
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Pop Rivet,

I see you are from Florida. I'm flying over from Australia next month and considering going directly to Lazy Days. They look huge. Free coffee too.
Have you heard good things about these guys or should one consider another means of purchasing a LY MH. Not many around 26 or 30 ft.

Any ideas?
BB,

LazyDays is all about SALES............and they are NOT an authoirized Airstream dealer but may have some used, as they take many trades in their rush to sell you whatever they can.

They, like most RV dealers in this country are hurting and have had a couple of rounds of layoffs. Their service department.......huge as it is......is definitely lacking in quality and attention to detail. I am called on regularly by some of my customers who bought their units there to 'clean up' the messes that their service department leaves when they 'attempt' to make repairs.

Good luck if you visit there and remember, the strongest weapon you have against hi-pressure sales tactics is to just walk away!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #119
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
BB,

LazyDays is all about SALES............and they are NOT an authoirized Airstream dealer but may have some used, as they take many trades in their rush to sell you whatever they can.

They, like most RV dealers in this country are hurting and have had a couple of rounds of layoffs. Their service department.......huge as it is......is definitely lacking in quality and attention to detail. I am called on regularly by some of my customers who bought their units there to 'clean up' the messes that their service department leaves when they 'attempt' to make repairs.

Good luck if you visit there and remember, the strongest weapon you have against hi-pressure sales tactics is to just walk away!!
Yes I agree, in fact they only have the one LY 26 fter. The rest are the square bricks that everyone else ends up with when they can't find the right Airstream MH . Wish I could find a few others for sale out there. I'll be flying in from LA so anything in between is possible. I would have thought there business was recession proof with other peoples MH to sell at any price.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Do a search on Bates RV near Tampa
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote