Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Seeking RV technician advice for a friend / Bounder motorhome

I have a friend who has a 1998 Fleetwood motor home. Both of this roof top airconditioner compressors were working and cooling the coach. All of a sudden both A.C compressors quit working but the fans will run. He is scrambling trying to solve this compressor problem. He was told there is a small fuse somewhere in the coach that controls the compressor. Does anybody have knowledge of this type of problem? He has searched everywhere except behind the paneling on the walls

I know this is airstream forum. I am just trying to help out a friend. He has posted on other RV forums but has not received a response. I figured there might be a professional RV Tech on this forum who works with different types of motor homes and has been confronted with this problem before.

Brian
Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I have a friend who has a 1998 Fleetwood motor home. Both of this roof top airconditioner compressors were working and cooling the coach. All of a sudden both A.C compressors quit working but the fans will run. He is scrambling trying to solve this compressor problem. He was told there is a small fuse somewhere in the coach that controls the compressor. Does anybody have knowledge of this type of problem? He has searched everywhere except behind the paneling on the walls

I know this is airstream forum. I am just trying to help out a friend. He has posted on other RV forums but has not received a response. I figured there might be a professional RV Tech on this forum who works with different types of motor homes and has been confronted with this problem before.

Brian
Brian,

PM lewster, he should be able to help you.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is more likely a thermo activated "klixon' mounted on the sides of the compressor and the tripped because of low voltage which results in overheating. Normally klixons will reset with time but they may have a fuse component also. If the fans are running the problem is within the unit rather than in the coach. There is only one supply voltage to the units.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Howie is right. Only one power line to the ac unit. the fact that both units went out at the same time does indicate low voltage, and the fans working indicate voltage is getting to the unit. He should check with the ac mfg for fuse locations, or pull the cover and inspect. It should be accessible pretty easily.
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote