Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Safety First at Home!

My hubby and I just got back from our first neighborhood watch program class!..how many have you been to one?

We apparently live in a world where we can no longer just leave windows, doors, our vehicles open and feel safe from those who would bring us loss of home, property and most importantly our lives.

What was discussed was the valuable resources we have in our own neighborhood, knowing that our next door neighbors can be that extra set of ears, and eyes, and voices for each other..given that the patrol or the more accurate term Response offices are overloaded with calls coming into the stations, it seems that residents must band together to be more prepared in those situations necessary for our safety..

Please share your thoughts and tips you may have ..thnx..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We also have a neighborhood watch program in place on our rural street. It's enhanced by an annual "earthquake party" (Oct. 17 is the anniversary date of our "big one") when we meet at rotating homes with potluck dishes. We gather info. from each property and update as times change: Pets, seniors, health issues, chain saws, generators, propane tank locations, neighbors w/ keys, emergency numbers, etc. etc. We feel like the more informed we are, the safer we'll be if the time comes to use the info.
And of course, we call the designated "watcher" for our homes when we'll be away. We're very lucky to have neighbors who are also friends. I know that's not always the case, but it does make it easier.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Good neighbors are wonderful,,, recently 3 young teen age boys were in my yard and trying to open my Airstream door,,, a phone call to me sent me flying outside in time to warn the offenders with a threat to tell their parents,,, thanks neighbor,,, i will return the favor should her property be threatened,,, keep your eyes open,,, be a friend,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
We're trying to start a neighborhood (community) watch program in our area. Our community probably has less than 1,000 residents in the immediate town area. We have a dozen volunteers but we're having difficulties getting more people interested. Our problems have primarily been petty theft and vandalism - with the latter being the number one priority. Most of the damage has been done to community property. As such, it seems like the residents just aren't interested if it doesn't affect them directly.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I live in an active block watch neighborhood. We know everyone on the street, and at least once a year get together for a potluck and neighborhood watch meeting. We have at least two ways to contact each neighbor if needed, and keep our phone list handy. We've gotten calls on several occasions - leaving our headlights on, leaving our front door ajar when running up to visit another neighbor (the caller tracked us down at that house to let us know our door was open!). It feels great to have neighbors like this, especially since it's very obvious when we are out camping (the shiny silver trailer missing from the driveway is a pretty good clue).
Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread topic!

Great points made in the posts here!

We are lucky that in our community the police have time/resources to do a property watch (they check the place once a day) while folks are on vacation. This is such a great program, we feel so much better about leaving with our trailer (as Mel pointed out its obvious when the trailer is gone if you keep it at home...) for two weeks knowing that the neighbors are watching and the police are also patrolling more in our neighborhood while we're gone. We're lucky to have a neighborhood watch too.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Great thread Cody Bear.

Sadly our official Block Watch Program here and our region has been abandoned. I don't know why, I was told but I've forgotten. It doesn't matter - in our cul de sac - crescent we've all met because when the BWP was in place a grow-op was discovered and reported by the BWP leader. It was busted, and the whole area met out on the street while watching the thing get dismantled. Since then we all make a point of telling the rest of the folks when we are going way, and in all but a couple of cases each person has provided a neighbor on each side with an emergency number to call if something should happen, and many of us (only those comfortable with this) have exchanged keys and alarm codes and notified the alarm company to call them if the need arises and we are away.

We all have everyone's address, names, phone numbers and usually email addresses. The latter has helped us stay in touch due to different work/play hours. What's worked the best is a quick email to the group letting them know that we are away and who to contact if something looks amiss.

It's worked so far. A few "visitors" have had a major surprise to find themselves caught on a back deck looking in windows and several young and bored folks have found themselves no longer bored as they spend some time weeding gardens and mowing lawns because they got caught being bad - and no one has lost anything of any significance, there's only been one vehicle theft and it was at 3 in the morning - and we saw it being driven off and the police did the chase and recovery thing.

But we don't have an official BWP any more. Instead this is officially a neighborhood and it's a great place to be. And we joke that NO ONE is allowed to move. And I need to ask someone why the Block Watch Program in the region was abandoned.

Barry
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Funny that Mel should mention the missing Airstream as being a dead give-away that we're gone. I've often worried about that very thing! Talk about an unmistakable flag!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Cracker, you're so right!..anytime the safari isn't parked inside our fence, neighbors know we've gone away!!!..what a dead giveaway indeed! (it doesn't help that we live on a corner either!)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Funny that Mel should mention the missing Airstream as being a dead give-away that we're gone. I've often worried about that very thing! Talk about an unmistakable flag!!!
Well, it looks like there's only one thing you can do about it. Buy another one, just a shell that needs restoration even, and then most folks won't realize that one is missing.

The advantage we have is that our trailer is never in view from the roadway. It is parked out back in the trees or in it's air'hanger so only one neighbor would even notice it's gone. We never load it up front, we don't want people to see us getting ready to go.

I always know when the fellow across the street is gone, though as first we see them loading on the driveway and then the trailer is gone. For anyone watching the neighborhood they would have a pretty clear signal that no one is home there and although I've suggested to him a couple of times that he should consider putting the trailer in his large back area for this reason he doesn't seem to care.

Barry
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
CB.
Get an inflatable one and set it up when you leave.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We bring the trailer home for a few days before we go on trips, but we are in a Cul-de-Sac which is set back from the rest of the homes and we have only two neighbors. My one neighbor is on patrol all the time. We had a person jump into our back yard several years ago and this guy chased him about 5 block going over numerous fences and wound up on top of him in the middle of the road. Cops come, arrest the bad guy and ask me if I want to press charges. Are you kidding, book em Dano! Found out later this guy had several outstanding warrants, all for B & E. I think he is the same guy that made my custom plate for my trailer...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My rig sits up high on an elevated driveway like a billboard. I could probably sell advertising space on the side! No room to put it in the back yard. I like the idea of an inflatable place-holder Airstream!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
CB.
Get an inflatable one and set it up when you leave.
Gee whiz, Richard, you just hit on THE idea. This way for those folks who are also just looking or trying to decide they could buy one of these inflatables and put it in their yard and determine if it "works" with the rest of the yard/neighbors etc.

You could be a very wealthy man with this one....

Barry
Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Barry, I told Steve about Az's idea, he chuckled at the thought and we both agreed, that would be a cool idea!!..I was 0nline looking for a dog bark alarm that you can plug in to the wall and as a person nears the premises, the bark becomes loud, then louder with each bark, and subsides as the person leaves...hmm, thinkin'
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Like many of you, I seem to have good neighbors. There has been more than one occasion when I have been notified of a water leak or other problem. A couple of weeks ago I drained my pool and two neighbors called or came by to see if I had a broken pipe when they saw water running down the street.
There are also three law enforcement officers and another firefighter that live on my block. Not too much goes on that shouldn't. And then there's my dog...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
That's terrific that you have all that neighborly protection on your street, Fyrzowt!!!..
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #18
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Barry, I told Steve about Az's idea, he chuckled at the thought and we both agreed, that would be a cool idea!!..I was 0nline looking for a dog bark alarm that you can plug in to the wall and as a person nears the premises, the bark becomes loud, then louder with each bark, and subsides as the person leaves...hmm, thinkin'
Paula, its called a labrador retriever (no plugin/batteries required to activate barking) ask me how I know about that alarm
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Ok, Steph, I'll bite: how do you know about that alarm?..

I did see one for about $75, but it was a plug/in 24 hour one..wonder if you can get one that attaches to the doorbell, so that everytime anyone rings the bell, the bark would start?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have not had a problem with AS vandalism or attempted break-ins in our neighborhood (so far), and since I work at home one of us (if not both) are home most of the time...that, plus the fact that we live on a short dead-end street (not quite a cul-de-sac) and have very watchful neighbors... However, Airstreams are tempting targets and I do have concerns about people knowing we are not home when we are on a trip...

See post #33 in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...own-35036.html

for pictures of the new gates we have just added to our "Bambi Port" to increase security and shelter the Airstream from unwanted access and eyes.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

« On Ebay | Top | Service »