Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Renting a tow vehicle?

Hello all -

Looking for thought & advice from all of you.... I need to rent a truck - one way - to move a few items and PRIMARILY the 34' AS, SilverToy. This is from ABQ to NVa/ MD/ DC area....

Have cruised the sites (Ryder, Budget...) and no one lists wether or not they have hitches, balls, 2" receiver, nothing.... Does anyone know about any of the info I need or the best way to secure this info? The last time I was at a rental place, they were all 'weenies' that only knew how to sell boxes and hand you the truck keys - AFTER they got your money!!!

Will I need the get the 24' truck and HOPE that it has a hitch? I'm scr**ed if it doesn't...

Thanks for any and all help!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Check the uhaul web site. You can rent trucks and trailers and car haulers in combination, so yes the trucks do have hitch balls. Or just call and ask to speak to some one about towing capabilities. Just select a large Uhaul center that has plenty of equipment on hand.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Past discussions:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...eap-23965.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...uck-11260.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...and-20089.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f343...ing-30618.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I think the Uhaul balls are welded on to thwart souvenir collectors. I wouldn't surprise me if they were an odd size to discourage towing other than their trailers. You could call my next door neighbor, U Haul dealer, lodge brother Tommy in Estancia and ask him. 384-2579. He'll give you the straight poop.

Sorry you are leaving these parts. I was hoping to get a peek at the 34. If I happen to see you before you leave I will sing you a chorus of Red River Valley.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Axel,

From my past experience with moving cross country 3 times in rented trucks, I woud avoid U-Haul AT ALL COSTS!!!!!! I have had nothing but problems with their service, equipment and attitudes. You will be better served with Ryder, Pensky or just about ANY OTHER national rental company.

That said, IIRC, the car haulers and other trailers all used 2" balls and surge brakes. The only problem for you will be adding a brake controller to your rented truck. Don't expect any help from the rental companies!

You can add one 'temporarily' to the truck and remove it before you turn it in. I would highly suggest this considering the size of your trailer. I use clamp-over temporary wire taps that utilize 1/4" push-on connectors. If you decide to do this and need some, let me know and I'll shoot a few out to you.

I'll be out your way at the end of the month. If you're still around, maybe they can be 'hand delivered'?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Attn: Lewster/ off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
.I'll be out your way at the end of the month. If you're still around, maybe they can be 'hand delivered'?
Lew,

FYI Silver Toy and I are practically neighbors. If you are out this way maybe we can hook up about the latches. As soon as I get the parts off I will mail to you. Today or tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Guys,

I'll be in ABQ sometime around the end of the month. Where are you from there?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
This joint is JAMMIN!

Lew, Marshall et al -

Our packout date is June 18-22.... Leaving the SW near the 29th.... in SilverToy of course! We will be caravanning (hence the thread) and using the rental to pull the utility trailer.... or possibly the AS?

Ryder told me they don't "do" one way rentals!??? Heck, I'm moving their equipment FOR them...?! Whatever....

Any other thoughts, other than 'stay away' from Uhaul?? I kinda figured that but they may be the only realistic alternative....

Looking for input folks....!!!!

Thanks,

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy

Ryder told me they don't "do" one way rentals!??? Heck, I'm moving their equipment FOR them...?! Whatever....

Any other thoughts, other than 'stay away' from Uhaul?? I kinda figured that but they may be the only realistic alternative....

Looking for input folks....!!!!

Thanks,

Axel
SilverToy
Ryder no longer rents trucks, they lease them. If you want to rent a Ryder truck, you can go to Budget rent-a-truck, they are the ones that acquired Ryder TRS assets (or merged with them, whichever euphemism you prefer) when they discontinued renting trucks.
Most trucks you find that have trailer balls will have the 2" balls, a problem since you have 2 5/16" on your coach.
You MIGHT think about renting the truck, and having the welded trailer ball cut off, and a 2 5/16" ball installed, and have it removed when you arrive. (trailer ball? What trailer ball? I don't know nuthin' about no trailer ball)
Liability issues prevent me from recommending this, but it is an option. It is usually easier to ask forgiveness than permission.