Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Remembering 9/11/2001

For me this exemplifies what remembering is all about...inspired by the cell phone calls from the Towers...

God Bless all...

Yahoo! Video Detail for Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - If this is goodbye [Bingolotto -06]
Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
tomorrow is mom's 94th birthday; she said this is one birthday she'll never forget, but whishes she could.
"may the souls of the faithfull departed rest in peace"
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Nice song. I posted it on FB and it went Viral....All 8 of my friends liked it.
Seriously though, I appreciate the post Robert. One of my sons woke up in the USA instead of Afghanistan for the first time in nearly a year today. We still have a son and daughter in law over there in the war.
We can't wait for them all to come home so we can take our Airstream and go visit...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
I just want you to know, Chuch and Skye and everyone else, we pray every single night at mealtime, for all our wonderful men and women who have fought and still fight and will fight for our country!
Tell your family THANK YOU!

Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
I suggest that it should not be necessary for a given date to remember those men and women in uniform be they in the armed services (especially) or firefighters or police. I was just south of the WTC on 11 September 2001 and would like this day to fade into the background just as the attack on Pearl Harbor has. I saw too much for my brain to assimilate to have so much commemoration. Virtually everyone I know who was actually in the area or in the WTC feels pretty much the same way - one does not need to be reminded of the worse day of your life (for me that includes the deaths of my parents and others that were extremely close to me).

I was back at work 3 weeks later in the same office. The dust blowing in a southerly direction lasted for months and the smell lasted for about a year. No one talks about all those who went back into the stuff to necessarily help normalize the country as quickly as possible. But those working at the site cannot receive too much credit for doing the job with which they were tasked.

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Trekkers View Post
I suggest that it should not be necessary for a given date to remember those men and women in uniform be they in the armed services (especially) or firefighters or police. I was just south of the WTC on 11 September 2001 and would like this day to fade into the background just as the attack on Pearl Harbor has.
Pearl Harbor, will NEVER fade.

The attack on Pearl Harbor, will always be remembered, as it's a vivid lesson to NEVER forget.

The Pearl Harbor visitor center, was rebuilt and opened last December 7th, 2010, at a cost of $56 million dollars.

Not one cent was from any form of government, BUT that money and every penny of it, came from donations from people and businesses, who till this day, more than not, strive to remind all of us, how a simple mistake, turned into a huge war.

The Pearl Harbor visitor center, every year, becomes busier and busier, with more visitors.

It's the kind of place, that cannot be visited just once, just like a church.

I for one have been there, over the course of years, over 25 times, each time I visit Oahu.

The scene always changes, in that the oil coming to the surface, continues at a faster rate than ever, and is expected to last another 10 to 12 years.

It's sad indeed, that many of our new generation, has no idea, what the Pearl Harbor Memorial is.

As a suggestion, when anyone visits that Memorial, I strongly and humbly suggest, that you bring a clean hankie or Kleenex, as you will need it, no matter how many times you may have paid it a visit, in the past.

Be supportive of the Memorial, as it's supportive of mankind and peace, for all.

Anyone can be a member, and be supportive, even if you never pay it a visit.

In it's own way, that memorial is trying to keep AMERICA BEAUTIFUL.

LETS NEVER FORGET IT.

Mahalo.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Trekkers View Post
I was back at work 3 weeks later in the same office. The dust blowing in a southerly direction lasted for months and the smell lasted for about a year. No one talks about all those who went back into the stuff to necessarily help normalize the country as quickly as possible.
It must have been horrible. I cannot imagine. Just getting back to work was all most of us could do. But only those that were there and at the Pentagon, had the daily sensory overloads you must have experienced.

Thanks for everything you did and do.
Chuck

WBCCI 3805
Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
On September 11, 2008 Lynn and I were attending a four day Airstream Club rally in Malibu, California. There was nothing planned for that afternoon so we decided to go to the park across the highway from Pepperdine University and fly our Kites for an hour or so. As we came over the rise, and Pepperdine came into view, we saw the entire front lawn covered with American Flags, one for each person who perished on 9-11-01.

Well, there was nothing to do but get out our patriotic kites and fly on the lawn at Pepperdine.

Lynn and I took photos of each other, me flying over the flags on that lawn, and Lynn flying across the highway at the park with the flags in the background. When we returned to the Airstream gathering I made a quick slide show for the group. Some time later I posted it on You Tube.

You can see the video slide show (turn up your sound) here:

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Beautiful video. Thank You. Like Andy said before, keep a handkerchief ready. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
As luck would have it, we were in Canada on 9/11/01.

I never realized the Canadians had so many US flags.

God bless you all.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I shall NEVER forget 9/11/01 and 12/7/41, both are dates that will live in infamy.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Just received this, and more from the folks at the Arizona Memorial.

Pacific Business News compiled a list of Hawaii's 25 most-visited sites, ranked by number of visitors in 2010. At the top of that list was World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument at Pearl Harbor. This year, to date, the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center has received 1,147,432 visitors, a 25% increase than this time last year.

More and more, have vowed, "To never forget".

Andy
Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
As I wandered around the memorial, I read the names of the men on the ship. I tried, but could not to comprehend the force of an explosion from inside her as she buckled steel plates and pushed rivets outward. I looked at the American flag that still flies from her and remembered that she is still a Naval Vessel and was never decommissioned. I watched the oil drops that still slowly leak from her and form rainbows when they hit the surface of the water.
I gradually recognized that there was noise around me from other visitors, mostly Americans with kids running, pointing, playing. Moms and Dads carrying on loud conversations that had nothing to do with the Arizona. And then I saw a small group of Japanese visitors, in quiet prayer off to the side, by themselves. When they finished their prayer they all slowly dropped flowers into the water, showing the utmost respect for our sailors that died that day.
New perspective, sometimes we all need new perspective.

WBCCI 3805
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Arizona Memorial

This is a photo of the ticket counter where you pick up your ticket for the movie and harbor craft trip to and from the Memorial.

The entrance, movie and harbor craft trip, are all FREE.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ticket_line.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	140050  
Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Get this off my chest....

The last week has brought something to the fore that has been bothering me for awhile now....our National Anthem and how it's being presented.

PLEASE....if you can't find anyone who can sing it.... just play it, we can all sing along.

I love Cyndi but this is not right....

Bob
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The last week has brought something to the fore that has been bothering me for awhile now....our National Anthem and how it's being presented.

PLEASE....if you can't find anyone who can sing it.... just play it, we can all sing along.

I love Cyndi but this is not right....

Bob
Just this last week at the start of the race in Richmond, Va, they had a military band that simply played the National Anthem. I remember thinking, ” this is so much better”
Concur with you Bob. I don't need a big name singing. A local high school band means more to me.

WBCCI 3805
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Or five little girls from Texas...
Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Oh my. Gotta luv Texas!

WBCCI 3805
Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
This is a copy of a post I made on my Thread... "The Old Girl needs New shoes."

As a retired fireman, today, (9/11/2011), holds a special meaning... I was working on a wildland fire on the Eldorado National Forest on Sept. 11, 2001. In fire camp, we had a "State of California" communication trailer with satellite TV showing real time video of the planes crashing into the towers.

All the hard work that my fire team and I had done on that fire met nothing! I felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach, I felt beat-up... I felt mentally & physically exhausted! And I just wanted to go home, and see my family...and be with them.

For myself and many other fireman, that day was surreal, more like a dream or nightmare... It was really hard to process what had happened that day.

It wasn't until I got home from that fire, did I allow myself to cry for my fallen 343 brothers. And to truly realize how much that day had changed my life, and the world around me... forever!

10 years later... I just want to thank our brave serviceman, (and servicewomen), firemen, and police for their service to our country. I honor you everytime I ride my harley, when someone comes up to me, and asks, "What is the meaning of the "343" on your bike?" I can tell them what that number means!

Engine 57 is another sad story of loss...which I will share on a later date....last pics is our new apparatus here in Shasta Lake City.

Thank-you for your public sevice!

Name:	SANY0058.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	140207Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0071.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	140208

Name:	SANY0073.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	140209Click image for larger version

Name:	New%20engine_thumb[1].jpg
Views:	94
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	140210

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Arizona

Took the family to the Arizona Memorial last January.Watched The Marines Raising the American Flag aboard the Missouri. something special.

then there's this sign along the road on the west coast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Seals.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	140743  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote