Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I just wannna ride my motosickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
I'm imagining a young man sitting on the group "W" bench. (the place you sit when rejected for military service) I ask him why the situation? His reply "Well I was having text in my convertible" Well I'm off to Alices for breakfast hoping that kid rehabilitates himself.
You boomers should remember when Arlo addressed a parallel situation in his "Motorcyle Song" as he was playing guitar while riding his cycle. The wind resistance being greater on the box side than the neck side he drove off a cliff. As luck would have it he landed on a police cruiser breaking his fall. Arlo ends the talking blues part of the song with the admonition to sing the song "with the same gusto like you just squished a cop". Not very PC but neither was a lot in the 60's including at times yours truly. PS, being older and hopefully wiser I can truthfully say some of my best friends are cops.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
Relax! Take a pill. Point is that we are all guilty of of avoidable concentration lapses while driving. Folks talk like there is a "them" out there that includes every one but themselves. Has to do with this human tendency we have to always see ourselves in a better light.
I'm at a loss. I am relaxed I simply don't agree. Is it not okay for me to express my opinion if I disagree with yours. I have no idea where the thinking I'm better than someone comes from, had nothing to do with the subject of the text. As I told someone else I should not have even responded this being the Christmas season and all. So even though I don't need it I will "take a pill" but I warn you it will be worn off by the time Christmas is over and I'll be right back to my same old argumentative self(My wife tells me all the time I should have been a trial lawyer as much as I enjoy arguing). Let me say to you and others it's nothing personal against you or others I simply don't agree with the idea of more laws, more government control and less freedom. Heck I didn't even get into banning the eating of a Wendy's burger or fries while driving. Anyway forgive me for arguing at Christmas and have a very merry Christmas.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #43
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
I have no idea where the thinking I'm better than someone comes from, had nothing to do with the subject of the text.
You made the comparison with Hitler.
"This is what Hitler said when he had laws enacted for the safety and betterment of Germany and of course you should all be good German citizens and turn in your fellow citizens for breaking these laws or on the suspicion they might"

This is the thinking of Hitler. He viewed his race as better than.

May be if you used a different comparison that thinking would not have been thought.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #44
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good point, Action. I agree with mrmossyone's sentiment - that we ought not be a bunch of tattle-tales and informers, despite the stupidity of some drivers' actions. But the point is lost with an overboard comparison.

Happy Holidays to all, by the way. Safe travels.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Stop all the reading and cell phone use and just say... Merry Christmas!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #46
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Stop all the reading and cell phone use and just say... Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all. Now, if I can just figure out how to text this from my cell phone.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Good point, Action. I agree with mrmossyone's sentiment - that we ought not be a bunch of tattle-tales and informers, despite the stupidity of some drivers' actions. But the point is lost with an overboard comparison.

Happy Holidays to all, by the way. Safe travels.

Pat
It all starts with a seemingly innocent, well meaning law and the slope becomes so slippery that momentum can't be stopped. I will agree it might be a little over the top but this gets me going. How about this is what our government officials said about the seat belt it's for the safety of all and you'll only be cited for it if your stopped for another citation but now they can stop you if it appears your not wearing your seatbelt. Now it's a law used to pad the coffers. I'll even go back and edit the previous post for the good of all. As the previous poster said I shouldn't have worried about it, it is Christmas after all. Sorry.

Heinlein
Old 12-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Well it wouldn't let me do it. I know someone around here knows how to make it disappear, so say poof and make it go away.

Heinlein
Old 12-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #49
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I declare a violation of Godwin's Law in post #39, and further discussion will not be tolerated.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
That's not the case with my post #39 but I see it's pointless to argue it here. PM me if you would like to continue and I can show you how it's jermaine to the topic. You would be surprised at what laws he enacted first you would say that's no big deal. You know what take Hitler's name out of it and substitute your dictator or communist regime of choice and it still applies. Does everyone think that tyranical dictators start out with the terrible, unbelievable laws? No they start w/ seemingly innocent laws and slowly get the populace used to being controlled before they lay the big whammie down. Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it. This is my last word on this publicly, anyone who wishes to continue this with me please do so privately after Christmas. I'm sorry for stirring this up at this time. Forgive me and merry Christmas to all.

Heinlein
Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #51
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
That's not the case with my post #39 but I see it's pointless to argue it here. .
Oops. Now you've made a double Godwin.

The first person to bring Hitler or Nazis into the argument automatically loses the argument due to Godwin's Law.

If you accept the loss graciously, you may reopen the argument at a later date. But if you claim exemption on any basis, it a double Godwin, and you lose permanently.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Oops. Now you've made a double Godwin.

The first person to bring Hitler or Nazis into the argument automatically loses the argument due to Godwin's Law.

If you accept the loss graciously, you may reopen the argument at a later date. But if you claim exemption on any basis, it a double Godwin, and you lose permanently.
Dang it. From now on I will avoid Godwin's law by using Stalin instead.

Heinlein
Old 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Well it looks as if I need to eat some crow. I've thought about it and I am wrong for using the Hitler comparison or any dictator for that matter. This is hard for me but I have made a mistake. We were not talking about a particular person/leader/regime but an idea so it was wrong of me to use that comparison. I wish to offer up a humble apology, especially to the person who's post I replied to. I believe what I said about how dictatators or government regimes gain control over their populace(by starting small and seemingly innocent and working their way up to total control) this simply doesn't pertain to this topic. Merry Christmas.

Heinlein