Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 04:47 AM   #1101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good.old rvs forum or talklk. And vintage trailer or might be vintage camper talk or forum. Getting old cannot remember. You can ask a specific question on the tin can facebook page, or contact tim heinz one of the mods and an expert. I Also Used The search Function On The Tin Can Facebook And Came Up with some info On Layton.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #1102
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
PR, And we have missed you too.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #1103
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I can’t change my user info... wonder if it’s because I’m not a paying member any longer. Anyways, thanks for the tips, Avionstream!

Been so long since I’ve been on here that I forgot you have to pay to be able to upload photos. Went to post up a picture of this tiny trailer I’m working on, and was denied...

Anyways, after all I went through with the refurb on the LoveStream (tm), this thing has been a piece of cake. On the Panama Red Longneck Scale of Difficulty, I’ve yet to do anything rated over 6 Longnecks. A few tidbits of knowledge I’ve acquired through the SOB refurb: Screws are just as much a pain in the butt as rivets, possibly more. Wood rots more than aluminum. Everything over 50 leaks. Camper refurbs require beer, no matter the brand of trailer...

It’s good to be missed. Sometimes you go through life thinking no one would notice if you weren’t around. I’ve run in to people from high school that I just couldn’t remember, but I thought that was as probably because of all the damage I did to my brain cells back in the 80’s. Ran in to the first person that I remembered but they didn’t remember me... which is odd, because I’m pretty loud and obnoxious, and most people remember that.

-Red, fading to gray...
Old 11-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #1104
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
I can’t change my user info... wonder if it’s because I’m not a paying member any longer. Anyways, thanks for the tips, Avionstream!

Been so long since I’ve been on here that I forgot you have to pay to be able to upload photos. Went to post up a picture of this tiny trailer I’m working on, and was denied...

Anyways, after all I went through with the refurb on the LoveStream (tm), this thing has been a piece of cake. On the Panama Red Longneck Scale of Difficulty, I’ve yet to do anything rated over 6 Longnecks. A few tidbits of knowledge I’ve acquired through the SOB refurb: Screws are just as much a pain in the butt as rivets, possibly more. Wood rots more than aluminum. Everything over 50 leaks. Camper refurbs require beer, no matter the brand of trailer...

It’s good to be missed. Sometimes you go through life thinking no one would notice if you weren’t around. I’ve run in to people from high school that I just couldn’t remember, but I thought that was as probably because of all the damage I did to my brain cells back in the 80’s. Ran in to the first person that I remembered but they didn’t remember me... which is odd, because I’m pretty loud and obnoxious, and most people remember that.

-Red, fading to gray...

Red is a doer, doers never fade to gray,,, they just ride away.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #1105
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Wrap your canned ham in aluminum and hang around here. You could claim it's a reimagined Torpedo, 2018 version.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #1106
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Wrap your canned ham in aluminum and hang around here. You could claim it's a reimagined Torpedo, 2018 version.

Post anyway, you can make the play....

I have considered making my own canned ham out of aluminum from scratch.... I am pretty sure that would be “vintage kin”.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #1107
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
I totally under-rated how inconvenient the rules that came with my new house were going to be. We moved a little over a year ago, and put the trailer in a storage place 6 miles away. I brought it home Friday afternoon, and got more work done in the last 48 hours than I did in the last year. I finally have ALL of my lights working (one of the backup lights needs replaced, but it works for now), including two replacement marker lights, and two new reflectors on the rear quarters. My coupler is working as designed. I resecured one side panel to the belly pan, and made substantial progress on resecuring the belly pan as a whole (finishing a job started by the previous owner). I removed one of those dreaded 2 pound globs of silicone, as well as a half-pounder just a few inches away, to uncover two holes on lower streetside, that I can now look forward to patching. I replaced a dozen rivets (still need to shave them).

talked to the neighbor who used to be the HOA president. He encouraged me to leave the trailer in the driveway (as he does with his whitewater rafts regularly during the summer), await the letter that should arrive in 2-3 weeks, take full advantage of the demand that I remove the trailer "within 14 days," and get a month or more worth of work done, before putting it back in storage for a couple weeks and starting the whole process over again. He assures me it is a process that has worked for him for years.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #1108
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
I totally under-rated how inconvenient the rules that came with my new house were going to be. We moved a little over a year ago, and put the trailer in a storage place 6 miles away. I brought it home Friday afternoon, and got more work done in the last 48 hours than I did in the last year. I finally have ALL of my lights working (one of the backup lights needs replaced, but it works for now), including two replacement marker lights, and two new reflectors on the rear quarters. My coupler is working as designed. I resecured one side panel to the belly pan, and made substantial progress on resecuring the belly pan as a whole (finishing a job started by the previous owner). I removed one of those dreaded 2 pound globs of silicone, as well as a half-pounder just a few inches away, to uncover two holes on lower streetside, that I can now look forward to patching. I replaced a dozen rivets (still need to shave them).

talked to the neighbor who used to be the HOA president. He encouraged me to leave the trailer in the driveway (as he does with his whitewater rafts regularly during the summer), await the letter that should arrive in 2-3 weeks, take full advantage of the demand that I remove the trailer "within 14 days," and get a month or more worth of work done, before putting it back in storage for a couple weeks and starting the whole process over again. He assures me it is a process that has worked for him for years.

Lol, that sounds like something I would do.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #1109
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
You guys are a hoot. Glad I subscribed this thread, lo those many months ago. Red, gray, doesn't matter keep it up.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #1110
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Since our HOA is just full of folks with boats and RVs aplenty, the only thing we hear is either “store it long-term behind a gate” or “Hey folks, RV/boating season is officially over, so please get them off the street...” sometime in late November.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:11 AM   #1111
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We are pushing our luck to even have the trailer on the street during the day in our HOA as we have make believe "sheriffs" who have nothing better to do than harass folks. We have parked in a culdesac one night but the big rig is about 52' overall and it is hard to not block a driveway.

Our storage unit is about 10 miles away and opens at 0600 so we can just leave the rig connected there and stop for breakfast at the Waffle House about a mile away (open 24 hours) at0500 and then pull out at 0600.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #1112
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We are pushing our luck to even have the trailer on the street during the day in our HOA as we have make believe "sheriffs" who have nothing better to do than harass folks.

I can break a few legs for you if you need me to...

-Red, cracking skulls for justice and the American Way!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #1113
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We’re gonna have that issue when we finally get home and have to park it in the driveway a couple of days to unload everything into the house. [emoji38]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #1114
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I suppose it takes all kinds. We live close to a neighborhood where the HOA rules are very strict, requiring the same color drapes in windows that face the street, limited choices of house paint, no screen doors in front, and no cars (let alone RV's!) parked on the street overnight. I guess they like it that way, so more power to them.

Our rules (?) are just the opposite, which suits me just fine. Fortunately, the houses are fairly expensive, so folks generally keep them up without needing a lot of rules in order to preserve the value. I've left my Airstream in the driveway for 3-4 days before or after a trip with no complaints. Other neighbors have other habits that would no doubt be frowned on in the neighborhood I mentioned earlier.

Evidently, everyone must not like our lack of rules, because there was a petition circulated around a year or so ago to hire a law firm to update our HOA rules. I voted against it, and enough others must have also because I haven't heard anything about it since.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #1115
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Try using the "attachment" icon.
Write post, click "go advanced" if you're not already there, look for the "Paper Clip" icon on the top, just right of smileys.
That will open your image folder (in my case Downloads), select the image you want, don't forget "upload", save the post and voila', an image!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #1116
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I’ll give it a try... on my iPhone here, so no guarantees.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #1117
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Still won’t let me attach a picture... pretty sure it’s because I let my paid membership lapse. Will have to renew that to stay in on all the fun.

-Red, after too many bourbon and cokes...
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #1118
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Random Thoughts

So, PR, kick in a few bucks so we can see what you are up to?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #1119
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I will. If everything goes according to my master plan, we’re retiring in under a year. My plans have been known to go awry though. And, I do have a cushy job that pays very well and gives me a lot of vacation time, so we may just stay an extra year or two and bank some coin. Either way, I’ve got to get out on the road a little more. Opened a CrossFit gym in our town here in North Central Florida last year, so that has been eating up my afternoons... but I’m probably not supposed to discuss religion on here, so I’ll leave it at that. And now this canned ham refurb is taking my weekends... oldest daughter is getting married in January, on the beach, at sunrise, and Mrs Red and I are camping for the weekend at said beach, in said canned ham, so’s I gots to get rolling on this thing. My black water tank isn’t due to arrive until December 27th, so that will be cutting it a tad close. But the axles on The LoveStream (tm) didn’t come in until a couple days before our first trip in it, so I’m used to taking it to the wire...

-Red, eating problems and crapping solutions...
Old 12-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #1120
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We had missed you but realizing what I also missed were your fantastic signature/tag lines

You appear to have great blend of dry whit, sarcasm and self deprecating humor. My favorite kind.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote