Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should we post opinions on vendors
Yes 27 50.00%
No 16 29.63%
never 2 3.70%
use PM's 11 20.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Cool Questions about Vendors

I have a few questions about vendors herein.

In dealing with several of them over the past two months, they (some) tell me that they are seriously moderated in what they say to promote biz thru their advice or in response to questions.

Why would that be?

Do vendors pay a fee or is it free?

What are the guidelines dos and don’ts?

What are they allowed to discuss? Seems to me if you have people classified as vendors they should be able to “VEND”.

At least two of them (perhaps others) are now rarely seen because of this and are no longer contributing for the benefit of all.

A while back I commented on what I believed was a bad way in which a vendor does business; they had an opportunity to respond so both sides were heard on a level playing field.

The thread was closed; several people complained that the stream of information about that subject was halted. The thread was then reopened.

However all of my posts were deleted, I don’t think that was the way to handle complaints about vendors shouldn’t we all share the good and not so good experiences with the vendors herein?

Or do certain vendors have special privileges as what they can do.

This is a great resource of info but the moderation IMO is a bit too much.

Your thoughts.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
A member guided Forums -- not vendor guided

Bob -- The World Wide Web gives vendors a complete right to originate web material from their perspective. It might pay to review what each of us was instructed to understand when we signed up to participate in the Forums:

Community Policies
Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

Why AirstreamForums.com Exists:AirstreamForums.com is a forum provided to aid in the transfer of knowledge about Airstream trailers & Airstream motor homes. This site is intended for use by any person/party for the explicit transfer of knowledge.

Member Etiquette:
The basic rules for discussions on the AirstreamForums.com are simple: be polite, use common sense, don't break any laws and don't post any message that hint at advertising in a forum other then the vendor forum. We don't intend to censor messages based on the opinions expressed within those posts, but we will enforce the policies outlined herein. We reserve the right to remove, modify or move posts at our discretion and without explanation. If you have any questions, please ask us.

Forum members may use standard fonts available on the forum. The standard font size is 2. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion.

We take the "be polite" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
This forum utilizes a member warning system. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive will receive a warning (at our discretion), and if the member offends again the member may be banned or placed in a probationary status without notice. Finally, any abuse toward our staff and/or management will result in immediate suspension of your account.

Reader/Member Beware:
The opinions expressed in the forums are those of the members and do not necessarily reflect those of AirstreamForums.com, the moderators, management or owners. We are not responsible or liable in any way for advice that is given in the forums. BEWARE, the advice you receive reflects the opinions of the member(s) and may lead to property damage or result in a potentially hazardous situation. REMEMBER: Opinions, advice and all other information expressed by participants in discussions are those of the author. You rely on such information at your own risk.

Commercial Parties (For profit companies):
The forum does not discourage nor endorse any vendor. It is not intended for soliciting business by commercial parties (advertising info). Any thread or post that is seen as soliciting business can be moved, edited or deleted by a forum moderator at their sole discretion.
  • Members that have a commercial interest in participating in our community will be identified as commercial vendors.
  • The use of "call me" tactics will not be tolerated.Members are encouraged to share their knowledge in the forum so others can benefit in the future
We enforce a very strict policy regarding solicitation of our membership by Forum participants except in those Forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted.
  • Participants may not use the Forum for commercial gain.
  • Participants may not use the Forum to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website, including informational pages unless a vendor fee has been paid and only in forums where advertising is expressly permitted.
  • Participants may not use the Forum to direct others to any pages which they have a commercial interest in. These include commission or referral hyperlinks.
  • Participants may not use the Forum to direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
  • Participants may not use the main Forums to direct others to the advertising Forums.
  • Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their products or services.
  • If signatures are used, they must be setup in your profile and not manually added to your messages. Signatures must be kept to a maximum of four lines and contain no more than one website address (non-commercial). Signatures must be font size 2 or smaller. Inappropriate content or formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion.
  • Most importantly, our user base, is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit.
  • Participants may not instruct users to check your e-mail, check your PM, or inform them that they've got mail or a new PM, or any variant thereof. This rule is also applicable in the advertising forums.
  • Participants may not bump threads unnecessarily. Bumping can refer to posting useless information, making corrections or updates in a new post, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot. Moderators will use their discretion depending on the nature of the post as to whether to take action or not.
  • Participants may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading or something which clearly needs clarifying, the response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable, when in the above scenario, to contact us first.
Dealer/Vendor and Sales Disputes:
AirstreamForums.com is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. While we respect the fact that some buyers feel that they have issues with the dealer. manufacturer or seller, our community is not the place to carry on a vindictive mud-slinging campaign.

Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.

Miscellaneous:

Due to our policy of encouraging candid, open exchanges of views and the rapid distribution of information originating from many sources, the AirstreamForums.com cannot determine the accuracy of information that may be uploaded to the forum.

We are not responsible for Copyrighted material that is posted by a member. To report a Copyrighted violation, please contact us. We will remove the content and notify the member not to post material that is Copyrighted.

The owners of this site have the right to change the policies listed above at any time. If policies are changed, all posts, threads and/or members that are found in violation of the policy can be removed, modified or moved at our discretion and without explanation. The use of the forums constitutes acceptance of these policies.

No portion of these pages, text, images or code, may be copied, reproduced, published or distributed in any medium without expressed written permission by the owners of this site.

All content is Copyright © 2002-2005 AirstreamForums.com.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Further discussion on the place of vendors in Forums: http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post283362

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
No to "detailed feedback" on vendors...

I am very happy with moderation of "Feedback" on vendors here... This is non-commercial site, and every vendor will suffer "Customer Defects" which can evolve into flaming disparagement and libel if not controlled carefully by our moderators... A brief "I was disappointed with.." will probably get through the Moderator...

Vendors who want to sell harder can buy ads from Andy for sides of Forum, and positive general remarks always welcome... The "I got screwed by X and you shouldn't ever do business with them..." messages need to be toned down and moderated, as they are now..

Any further details can be handled, as now, via PM or private e-mails...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No.

The key here IMO is:
Quote:
Dealer/Vendor and Sales Disputes:
AirstreamForums.com is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. While we respect the fact that some buyers feel that they have issues with the dealer. manufacturer or seller, our community is not the place to carry on a vindictive mud-slinging campaign.

Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.
We as moderators can not, should not and will not get involved in the inevitable issues that would arise given the "no rules" approach to vendor solicitation and posts.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Every deal you do with a vendor has the potential to go south and then cause ranting and raving by the buyer. In other words even the best can screw up or be perceived as doing that.
Moderating and observing all the posts is a job we do well here.
Vendors often offer experienced opinions and gain thru exposure here as well in return. Seems a good system and one that has worked and IS working.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Questions about vendors

Quote:
However all of my posts were deleted, I don’t think that was the way to handle complaints about vendors shouldn’t we all share the good and not so good experiences with the vendors herein?
Quote:

T
his is a great resource of info but the moderation IMO is a bit too much.

Your thoughts.
I coud'nt agree more.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The key here IMO is:
We as moderators can not, should not and will not get involved in the inevitable issues that would arise given the "no rules" approach to vendor solicitation and posts.

Shari
The poll disagrees. But then, forums typically are not a democracy.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
The poll disagrees. But then, forums typically are not a democracy.
The forum IS NOT a democracy. It is privately owned and the rules are set by the forum owner(s) and enforced by moderators. Everyone (including the moderators) agreed to a set of terms when they signed up. IMHO if you want to complain about vendors there are other forums out there set up for just that. We try to maintain a civil atmosphere on this forum. I have been on several in the past that I no longer read because of the amount of bashing, flaming and general bad behaviour that went on. Not every person is going to have the same opinion of any given vendor and moderators are not able to discern facts from fiction, nor should they have to, when it comes to any type of disputes. FWIW we do moderate the vendors too when they step over the line.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hey Lipets; Here is my opinion. It should be very easily understood that the Forum Rules have been very carefully selected for a good reason. The discussion forums are not for advertising or promoting their product. There is another place for that in the Forums. However, when it comes to publicly discussing individual dealings or experiences with the vendor, [with the exception of praise] it becomes a very fine line issue. The saying, that you cannot please everyone is so very true. It may not be fair to a vendor to take a public whipping over a single issue that may have been caused by misunderstanding between the two parties. On the other hand, there are people who live by complaints. I have had a few of those, and my spotless reputation in Marine field reaches across the Country. Last but not least, is the reason itself as to why we deal with the vendor. It is because we are incapable of carrying the task at hand ourself. It may be because we do not want to do it ourself. Or because we cannot manufacture specific part in our shed. It is not up to the moderators nor it is their duty, to judge who was unfair in their statement. We need the vendors and if we choose to sign the contract with them, you should demand a detailed description what and how must be done. Your money dictates what, and how it is to be done. Customers version of his expectations in his head may not be what is on the contract. Bashing of vendors has no place in our discussion forums. If the vendor did not performed in accordance with the contract, take him before the judge. The vendor may be unjustly accused in Forums and has no time to prove to the world that the customer is wrong. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I'm not saying to bash them!

But others (66%) say opinions should be posted and 20% say to PM complaints. So 86% is now a silent majority!

There can be guidelines on complaints also.

Or how about a vendor opinion forum for praise and complaint.

If you allow vendors to sell their goods, you should also protect others from bad service or mis representations.

This is done on Ebay, and many other sites.

Please understand I have no complaint with any vendor at the moment. It was just a shipping cost policy that I questioned in a thread.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
As a moderator, I do not want to be responsible for playing referee to vendor complaints. We have had many times where there was a complaint, the vendor said it was unfair, the customer said they were ripped off, people were talking about lawsuits...

I'm just a vounteer. I'm here to tell newbies how to work the forum, stop trolls from junking up our forums, clean up spam, and make sure everyone keeps this a family-friendly, civil forum. I cannot judge who is right and who is wrong. And what happens when a vendor says "that guy is lying about me and hurting my business, and I'm going to sue him for libel, sue the forum for giving him a public soapbox to stand on, and sue the mods for not stopping it"? This has happened on other forums on the web, and real people have lost real money. As a volunteer, I am not willing to take on that kind of risk, and I don't know any reasonable person who would. However, if anyone wants to, they can start up their own forum for Vendor reviews.

Until then, if you have a complaint, take it to the BBB. If you don't like a vendor, when someone asks for a part, pipe up and tell them the name of a good vendor they can buy it from (without mentioning the bad ones). Eventually the bad ones will go away.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
In theory it would be nice to be able to post good and bad experiences with vendors on the forum. In practice this will inevitably lead to hostility and name calling. IMO, the best online resources are those that always maintain a civil tone, even if it means that some sorts of information (vendor ratings) is not available.

Here is a site which wants reviews about vendors: http://www.rvservicereviews.com/

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
21 votes is hardly a majority on a 16,773 member forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
But others (66%) say opinions should be posted and 20% say to PM complaints. So 86% is now a silent majority!
Yes. it's a majority of the total number of votes registered, but it is a far cry from a "silent majority"...more like 0.1% of the total membership.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 10-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
The poll indicates who has interest in the issue.

How many of the 16,000 members made more than 100, 25, or 10 posts

Members without participation means nothing.

Maybe this goes deeper, I believe the vendors pay or donate $$$ so if there's bad press no $$$. Is there a degree of protection by the Mods because of the $$$.

I don't know and I'm not saying there is either.

Be that as it may, the folks that operate this forum have to decide if they wish to sweep complaints under the rug or voice them in a democratic way.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Vendors do not pay any fees at this time. They do not have any influence over the forum, or the moderation team. I really feel insulted when people imply they do, because we work very hard to treat everyone fairly.

Another thing I might point out is that the BBB exists to take complaints about businesses, yet some of the vendors that get complained about the most have very few complaints filed with the BBB. Seems to me like that is the best place to take them, yet few people do.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently, there are:

6,372 members with at least one post
1,069 members with over 25 posts
663 members with over 50 posts
391 members with over 100 posts
119 members with over 500 posts
and 48 members with over 1000 posts

21 votes is still not a majority.

Shari

Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Vendors do not pay any fees at this time. They do not have any influence over the forum, or the moderation team. I really feel insulted when people imply they do, because we work very hard to treat everyone fairly.

Another thing I might point out is that the BBB exists to take complaints about businesses, yet some of the vendors that get complained about the most have very few complaints filed with the BBB. Seems to me like that is the best place to take them, yet few people do.
I have spoken to 3 vendors and they did need to make donations, to have better signature links, so that is not correct.

The BBB is the biggest sham in US Business ever. If you pay to join you will NEVER get a complaint it will always be settled. So a retailers record can appear spottless, to join costs $600 -1800 a year. Each BBB branch is a paid franchise. They are FOR profit branches.

Don't think for one second that it is worth a dime of credibility.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #19
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Currently, there are:

6,372 members with at least one post
1,069 members with over 25 posts
663 members with over 50 posts
391 members with over 100 posts
119 members with over 500 posts
and 48 members with over 1000 posts

21 votes is still not a majority.

Shari
Shari, you may define a majority any way you wish, I wonder how you rate polical polls?

Now to your numbers.

No majority of active members, but that is the way most forums are.

Not that there is anything wrong with having about 1,000 somewhat active members and 1,000 very active in a very specialized hobby.

In fact it great!

I'm at over 350 posts in 2 months, this forum is a plethora of valuable info which I enjoy.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
this forum is a plethora of valuable info which I enjoy.
It is more enjoyable in no small part because of the " moderation" which you contest, done earnestly by volunteers who have little interest but to help promote and enjoy our pastime. I have done this since day one, and report to you that we have put up and put out a number of people who thought it ok to have their say here in anyway they felt was acceptable and to heck with rules.
So I suggest you continue to enjoy it, glean what you can from the great info here and quit bellyaching because you paid someone too much for shipping. Maybe you should have asked for the shipping amount before you paid.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote