Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #301
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Maggie, isn't it just HUMBLING to read the posts of all these folks who just exude wisdom, kindness, and forgiveness. The folks who post on this forum are a visible reminder of how wonderful people are -- and when you come back and read this outpouring of wisdom it will most definitely help you let the negative energy dissolve. Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I wish this forum had a "LIKE" button, like Facebook does. There are so many wise and kind posts on this thread, that I keep wanting to hit "LIKE."
Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #303
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Dear Maggie. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I don't have a trailer of site yet but came across your tread. Sending warm thoughts & prayers your way. Michael
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #304
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
What an outpouring of love for you, Maggie!
It is only the kindness that you have shared on this forum come back to you magnified 100 fold.
There is such a thing as karma! You are richly deserving of many blessings.
All will be well.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #305
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Maggie, you have such a caravan of love and support here. I know it's hard to steer away from those potholes, a.k.a. the hypocritical relatives, but they do not matter. What matters is what you shared with Doug. That ribbon of road will never end.

Thinking of you.....
you will get through it.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #306
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Really struggling yesterday, better today....thank you.

Heading up soon to Iowa, and it begins.

Love to you all,

Maggie
Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #307
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I wish this forum had a "LIKE" button, like Facebook does. There are so many wise and kind posts on this thread, that I keep wanting to hit "LIKE."
There is. It is the "thanks" button. Different from Facebook, only you and the thankee will know.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 AM   #308
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Thoughts and Prayers

Our thoughts and prayers go with you on your journey today. I think RangerJay wrote it perfectly: patience....tolerance...forgiveness. That sounds so much like a passage from the Sermon on the Mount.....it really struck me as kind and loving guidance offered friend to friend. Safe travels, Maggie. Tom
Old 03-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #309
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Maggie, you and your family are our thoughts and prayers.

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #310
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Maggie,
Our prayers are with you today as you lay Doug to rest. Prayers for courage and strength to make it through this day with dignity and grace.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #311
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Praying for truly amazing grace to carry you through this day and to help you focus all your energy on wonderful memories without being distracted by family members who themselves need to find a little grace in their lives. We all do.

You've done a truly beautiful job preparing for this day. May Doug rest in peace and may you have great comfort through your mourning.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #312

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Have a safe trip today. May the good things in your life together with Doug dominate your thoughts.

Love, SuEllyn and Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #313
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Sellersvile , Pennsylvania
Very sorry to hear this tragic news and we will be praying for Doug. God Bless.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #314
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Dealing With Phony Relatives

Maggie, a look can say more than words, and unlike words, a look can't come back to haunt you.

A few years ago I was so tired of my phony relatives, especially after spending one Christmas all alone. I couldn't take it when I bumped into one of them a few months later and he started blathering on about how we really should get together etc. I gave him a look that was the epitome of the same feelings you are dealing with now: hurt, disappointment, anger, and frankly....$crew off. He got the message and scampered away.

The phonies never bothered me again.

Stay strong, and don't be afraid to send your message via the look.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #315
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Maggie,

Thinking of you tonight and tomorrow. Sending prayers.

Chris & Kay
Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #316
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Sending thoughts and warm energy your way during this difficult time. Loren & Mike

Sent from my DROID4 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #317
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
brooksville , Florida
praying for your strength to get through the events coming and to find peace in knowing you did a great job in preserving the memory of Doug.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #318
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Maggie,
Think of you often throughout the day. Pray that God gives you strength and grace. Wonder how Doug's Mom is doing especially at 94. I am sure you are a blessing to all; as you have been to your many friends here. Everyone here thinks only good thoughts about you and Doug.
Mockinbrd
Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #319
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maggie,

Having been away from the Forum for several days, I just saw your post about irritating family members. Stress can make people childish and that's irritating. Family members who act out are especially irritating because we expect a lot of our families. I doubt anyone gets the family they wish they had, but some of us have an excess of jerks in our families. I don't know your exact situation, but it seems like family drama (or melodrama) entered a couple of days ago.

Such things are not surprising when you are as far from events as I am, but they always seem a surprise when I'm in the middle of things. I think—why can't they just can it or go away? But they don't and it is a test for, as Jay said, forgiveness. I have plenty of jerks in my family, but my wife's makes up for it in kindness and love. Try to focus on those who offer unconditional love. If you falter in being kind to the jerks, so what? You have more important things to do that worry about them.

I think the funeral is today. I trust you'll get through it, perhaps like a sleepwalker at times, but I'm sure you'll make as best you can—and as best you can is all anyone can do.

In a few days when the friends and relatives are gone and the flowers have wilted, that will be the time for more introspection, adjustment and moving through grief. I trust you will move through that too. Some days will suck, some will be good. I'm sure you can count on support here.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #320
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, it's over and I survived.

We had a lovely, well-attended visitation last night, a short visitation prior to the processional to the little church today, then a simple service and internment. A childhood friend of Doug's gave a eulogy and the niece-in-law sang 3 hymns, a cappella. Short and sweet. The church was perfect, and Doug is now buried under a huge pine tree, next to his Dad.

I could imagine him smiling.

Eugene Engel, the narrator on the video about Grace Hill Moravian Church that was posted here, attended the funeral. Knew Doug's 96 year old mom since they were children. She recognized him, he recognized her, they hugged and said each others name. Both of them deaf as posts, very touching.

No harsh words exchanged, didn't even have to give "the look". Bad behavior seemed to have dissipated in the last couple of days....perhaps some timely self-reflection, but at any rate everyone stepped up.

Have a nice chunk of donations to FaithWorks, too.

My kids are here with me til tomorrow. Going to visit the cemetery in the am, then head home. So much still to do.

He was a good, kind man, and I'm going to miss him.

Thank you all, again, so much. You helped me get through an unbearable situation.

XO Maggie