Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Maggie,

What can one say to help understand your situation that hasn't already been said in our prayers...

A close friend's passing, especially an electronically-linked friend such as we Airforum members, touches us all...

It would seem from your heart felt comments that Doug left us while enjoying life to the fullest, a testament to your loving companionship...

In time, I hope you and your family will again be able to enjoy your outings in your cozy Airstream...

I must say, that when camping with our family, around the campfire, we often remember our loved ones that have left us, saying, for example, "Wow, Grandma would have sure liked this spot right next to the river, we can almost see her standing there with a fishing rod in her hands..."

Love be with you and your family...
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #222
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Am at A&L RV in Murfreesboro, TN, who are winterizing and getting me back on the road.

Sweet little Jodi in the service center here asked if she could pray with me and did, for me and for Doug, for both our peace and comfort and my safe trip home. Her grandpa did the same. They are actually from just down the road from where we live.

I feel Doug is with me, am talking to him and telling him he needs to help me get home, handle the mountains, navigate thru Atlanta, to plan his funeral, music, etc.

I also believe...after 3 resuscitations still had him flatlined, then his heart just, miraculously, began beating again....that he came back so his body could be around a few more days. Give time for the kids to get here and us to work thru the process of having to take him off the ventilator. If I had had to deal with sudden cardiac arrest, from which he never regained a heartbeat, I don't know how I would have managed that. He is helping me, and will continue to do so.

I feel certain he was with me yesterday, when I nearly put unleaded into our diesel tank.....I of course know better, but am in a bit of a fog, saw a green nozzle and.... He also whispered " it's the prudent thing to do" this morning, when I debated whether I really needed to lock up the Interstate when I ran to take a shower.

If I listen, he will guide me, as he would never just go off and leave me to figure everything out by myself. He was a truly good and kind man, and I am so fortunate to have had him in my life.

Thank you for all the support, comfort and caring. I feel enveloped.

Maggie

Maggie,
Perhaps you will find this quote helpful.
Keep praying and remember Doug is still with you.

I'm Gone now, but I'm still very near.
Death can never separate us.
Each time you feel a gentle breeze,
It's my hand caressing your face.
Each time the wind blows,
It carries my voice whispering your name.
When the wind blows your hair ever so slightly,
Think of it as me pushing a few stray hairs back in place.
When you feel a few raindrops fall on your face,
It's me placing soft kisses.
At night look up in the sky and see the stars shining so brightly.
I'm one of those stars and I'm winking at you and smiling with delight.
For never forget you're the apple of my eye.
--- Mary M. Green
Old 03-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #223
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Stopped for food and fuel, should be home within 3 hours.
Thanks to all for your continued prayers and words of comfort.
Doug's daughter has composed his obituary, with just a bit of tweaking from me.
It is beautiful, and comforting to read. I am going to post it here sometime soon. Also the picture from my daughter's wedding that we will use.
Maggie
Maggie..I have never seen the like of this thread..
so many caring and for what its worth including us 2 over here ..
I just cannot for the life of me get you out my mind..
checking.. 1 am.. 3 am ..4 am.. 6 am ..hoping with all hope you reach home safely..your made of sterner stuff than I dear girl and I salute you ..
Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #224
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Memorare Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known
that any one who fled to your protection,
implored your help or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto you,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To you I come, before you I stand,
sinful and sorrowful;
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions, but in your mercy
hear and answer me.
Amen.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I've been checking in regularly for your updates, but not knowing what to say, except: hang in there, my heart goes out to you.
That makes two of us. Maggie, I hope you're home and safe by now.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am home, safe and sound, and Lily is here with me.

I have been aware y'all have been worried for me, therefore doing a quick post when I could on the trip home.

Remember that I am no longer the navigator, but the driver. Cannot post and drive, too. i was frustrated on the drive home, because there were phone calls I wanted to make, to-do lists to create, etc., and I just couldn't do it.

Doug has spoiled me so. He loved to drive, I sat over in the passenger seat and navigated, located campgrounds, crocheted, all tnat.

It's going to be a whole new normal. I cannot believe he is gone. But, I am strong, have a loving family and lots of support. I also know he will be here when I need him.

Thank you all so much.

Maggie
Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug, last year at my daughter's wedding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	207464  
Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You are an amazing women Maggie. Your strength is unbelievable. Hang in there. You are not alone.

Dan
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So glad you're home safe. Just wishing nothing but peace, comfort and well being for you and your family.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #230

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We're so relieved that you have made it home safely.

SuEllyn and Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie,

It was such a shock to read, today, of all of this then Doug's passing; it doesn't seem possible. I cried for you and your loss of Doug. Then, selfishly began thinking of how devastating it would be if I lost Frank, and more tears. It's all too soon, never enough time.

I immediately recalled our meeting at the Virginia Highland Haven 1 1/2 years ago. After we got settled, we took a walk around and I saw your Interstate and was so excited, telling my DH who you two were. We walked over, said hi to Doug (and Lily) asking if you were around. He stated you were in town with Paula, we met later. Frank recalls how Doug introduced him to Jamison's and Ginger Ale; Frank loved it and was amazed Doug so freely shared with all.

Since then we have been hoping to run into the two of you again. Now we'll continue to watch for you and Lily.

Take care and know that you are in our prayers. Peace Be With You.

Frank and Deb
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #232
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
prayer

there is no karma but there is a God and prayer to the one true God is a powerful
thing. i will keep you in my prayers.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #233

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'm glad your home safe and you will continue to be in my prayers.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Glad your home! Your an inspiration to me. I find that if I need strength now....I think of you.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #235
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Maggie,

We are so sorry for your loss. There are no words that can replace Doug but only comfort. I have enjoyed knowing you through Tincrumpets thread and hope that you will continue with the interaction in time. Its been said here many times that we are a family connected by aluminum and this thread is proof. Stay strong and close to your family during this difficult time.

Regards,

Vinnie and Cindy Lamica

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 03-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you all so very much. It brings tears to my eyes to read the words and sentiments, here and in the many emails and pm's I have received, so many from people I have never met but for here. I have read every one.

I think the idea that we are a family connected by Aluminum is exactly true. I have felt supported and then carried safely home on the outpouring of love I have received. I will never forget it, and hope to see and meet many of you.

Am going to try to copy and paste here portions of his obituary, which also includes where to make memorials, if anyone would like to do that. Mods, if you want to shape and format more appropriately, please do so.

Dr. Wright Culpepper, from Faithworks Ministry, was the chaplain at the hospital who prayed for Doug and for us, and whose House of Hope sheltered me and our family in Brunswick. He also helped immeasurably at the hospital, during Doug's time there and in preparation for Doug's return home. He was a mighty oak. Any memorials received in Doug's name will be used for something concrete which can be used to help others who find themselves in similar circumstances. Doug would be so very honored. I will have input into what that is, and will post it here so you know.

A story better told more fully later, I was firm that I was going to stay with Doug in the ICU, as he was in critical condition, unconscious and our promise to each other was that we would stay by each others side in such a situation. The night nurse the first night told me I could come in "for a few minutes", once he was settled in the ICU and "then you should go home", and let them take care of him, they would call if there was a problem. No way in hell was I leaving that hospital. I appealed to the nursing supervisor, then to the hospital director, and ultimately was allowed to stay, and in the room with him. I left for report/shift change, to shower and change clothes and that was about it. As a mature, educated woman whose years of experience in hospitals left me not intimidated by the machines, procedures, etc., I could and did handle it.

This special privilege did not set well with all, who should be mightily ashamed of their petty and vicious behavior. Dr. Culpepper stepped in and handled several things quietly and quickly., especially as the end was nearing. Don't know what I would have done without him. I would have had insult added to injury and burdens added upon those already there. Undoubtedly, he had seen it before.

That said, being there, by his side, with Doug those three days helped prepare me for the ultimate decision to take him off the ventilator. I could see his body was fighting to die, but for the ventilator that kept him alive. My daughter and his were there with me til the end, a social worker and attorney, respectively, and we were united in that very difficult decision.

And so, I have made a pot of coffee...something Doug always did....lit a fire....something Doug usually did...and am up and functioning reasonably well. Family will be here today, to help me unload the motor home, and I will talk with my precious grandchildren about their Grandpa Doug.

It is more comforting than you can know, to be able to "talk" here, when it is otherwise just myself, and know there are compassionate and supportive people on these forums to listen. Everything happens for a reason.

I'll get obituary and memorial information posted after a bit,

Much love,

Maggie
Old 03-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #237
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Please know you are in our prayers. You are a strong woman!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #238
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We are, and will always be here for you, Maggie. I think many of us see ourselves possibly in a similar situation, and find it sad and frightening to think about. We've never had the honor to meet you yet and both have cried more than once reading the posts here.
I apologize for the hospital staff. Young nurses don't always get it. As a nursing home nurse, I have been with many families in similar situations and have learned compassion.
We will definitely honor Doug in some way with a memorial when the info is posted. You may not know, but there are suggestions on the Quilters and Airstreams thread about quilts for Doug to be sent to House of Hope. We quilters will be working on that.
Take care, Maggie, of yourself and your family. Doug and God are watching over you.

Kay
Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #239
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So touched by your story and the care and help you received. Just made a donation to those who helped you at the house of hope. Jim
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #240
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Forum is much more than a thing about trailers and how to fix them or where to travel. Those of us who last for more than a year or two get to know each other even though we never meet in person. Personalities show through the words. Thus, I figured out long ago Maggie is a person who sees the good side of things. We old cynics need people like Maggie to provide balance and remind us things do sometimes work out for the best even if the path is difficult. It takes a lot of inner strength to be an optimist in this world, so Maggie is a special person. I am sure she brightened Doug's life just like Barb brightens mine.

So, now directly to you Maggie—you are a rare Forum member and a rare person. How many of us would receive so many good wishes and support in such a situation? You have always been supportive of me when I expressed our struggles at selling a house in this market or my physical limits. Unfortunately everyone gets a turn at needing support and love.

Hundreds of people are thinking of you. You are special.

By the way, there will be times you'll need quiet and to be alone. We'll understand if you take some time away from here.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Closed Thread