Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #41
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I have heard a bit of talk about a new club forming. One that has all the good of the WBCCI and none of the bad. If a new club was to form, what would it be called? Do any of you ever think about this? what are some possible name suggestions?

Just saying

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
You Represent the Right Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Just a thought; All politics are basically evil. The more local politics are, the better they are. The bigger it gets the worse it will be. It is the nature of the beast. Breaking up a national club, won't change anythng once the new one gets big enough.

My wife and I are in our second year with the WBCCI. We joined as a member at large and later joined a unit. We have had a great time and enjoyed the experience, the camaraderie, and the new friends we have made. All and all it has been a very positive experience.

I think the best course of action is not to abandon a great thing. When I see the pictures in the VAC newsletter of caravaner's from the past, it gives me something to look forward to, to dream about. What an adventure that must have been, to travel across the world for over a year. I plan to stay within the WBCCI. To get my involvement local. To continue to have a great time.

On the bright side, I'm only 47. I've met Rob, and he is a young fellow too. We can outlive the problem. At least that is my plan.
You certainly have the right thoughts and direction.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So how exactly do you work through the problems if the rules have been changed to make it a requirement that you go to International? Some of us in the club are working people. Going to International becomes a two week obligation at a minimum. The next International is 4 days drive from my house. Going to that would creep even deeper into my "vacation" time to go to an event that is a "business meeting". The appeal of this is what? What I spent going this past year could have funded 15 normal rallies easily. For what I spent on gas alone, I could feed all my attendees at the Crawfish Rally I am hosting in June of 2010.

How many times has Leo run from the floor? I really admire his tenacity. How well has that worked for you? Why do you have to run at all? If you actually become an officer do actually think you will be able to make any effective change? The major problem I see is that a good number of members like it just the way it is.

I started this thread to discuss names of a possible new Airstream club not why the present club is falling apart. As I see it there is plenty of room for an Airstream club with "camping" as driving force instead of "meetings"
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #44
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Club

I believe the WBCCI was built to be very regimented, and that it did not "evolve" into what it is today. The club began as a caravaning club, and if you read the books about the early caravans you will see that it was very dependand on rules and organization from the very beginning. Meetings were held daily on the caravans, "officers" were appointed (mailman, doctor, wagon boss, scout, parking, etc), and according the the book Capetown to Cairo, Wally would rule with an iron fist when he had to. Look at the pictures from the caravans in the 50's and 60's and you will see people at these meeting wearing shirts and ties, even in Mexico and Africa.

Caravans require a much larger amount of planning and coordination than "just camping". Planning and coordination of a large number of people means Rules of Order and "Leaders", and that turns off lots of people. I believe that is the driving force towards a new club. People who just want to camp with friends do not need a club like the WBCCI, but they join to be a part of Wally and Stella's legacy, the history, and because they love Airstream products. They then become disapointed when the club does not meet their needs.

Changing the club from within is not the answer. The club is what it is, and is exactly what many people want. Of course there are problems that need to be fixed, and hopefully they will be. I love the history of the WBCCI, but right now the club just does not suit me. Maybe one day it will. Until then, I will camp with my friends and our kids. I will enjoy the heck out of my Airstream. If we want to form a club to add to our enjoyment, we will do that to. I was in a club when I was a kid and we had a ball. We even built a club house in the woods behind my house. This is the club I envision, except we all bring our club houses with us, hooked to the back of tow vehicles.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
I believe the WBCCI was built to be very regimented, and that it did not "evolve" into what it is today. ...
You know, the folks who were involved in founding the WBCCI were of a generation in which regimentation was central to one's life and success. That this Lebensanschauung would become part and parcel to the group's organization would not be unexpected.

I won't go on and on with this one, but rather just post a link to a suggestive document from NASA's diversity management office on dealing with different generations. (Not that I agree with all aspects of this document, but it does have its use.)

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/diversit...deJanFeb06.pdf

Lynn
Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Lynn,

A very good observation. The people who started WBCCI had lived through the Depression and WW II and knew when they had it good.

Watch the movie of the Capetown to Cairo caravan and folks like PeeWee pushing trailers out of the sand, improvising roads where there weren't any, and so forth. Hard to imagine them going off in a huff to start another club because they didn't get parked where they wanted at the International rally.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #47
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Lynn,

Hard to imagine them going off in a huff to start another club because they didn't get parked where they wanted at the International rally.
Hard to imagine them supporting an organization that doesn't meet their needs, too.

If you think this is about not getting parked where they were told they would be, you just don't get what's going on here.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No more hijacking...

Now, back to the thread:
How about "Airstream Camping Club"? Keep it simple...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Hard to imagine them supporting an organization that doesn't meet their needs, too.
You are really raising two separate issues here. They don't need to start a new club to get out of the WBCCI. Hundreds of people do that every year without any fanfare. Maybe Frank ought to make a motion at the next WDCU meeting to disaffiliate the WDCU from WBCCI. WDCU is a big unit, that would blow a pretty big hole in the WBCCI, if that's his objective.

Quote:
If you think this is about not getting parked where they were told they would be, you just don't get what's going on here.
Since you seem to know something I don't, tell me and we'll both know. I'm all ears.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #50
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This is not about who was parked on the grass and who was not. That is what you have made this into. The need for a new club is in getting what it's members want and need. Personally I do not need an IBT. Personally I do not need a president, a vice president, a trustee. I need a group that wants to go camping, have fun, and enjoy our Airstreams.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Now, back to the thread:
How about "Airstream Camping Club"? Keep it simple...
Good one, Terry. KISS.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I'm not aware of any requirement to be at international - I started the FCU and I've never been to an international. Of course I heard comments about not attending, but I basically ignored them. Our new president, did attend this year and had a great time and heard positive comments about our unit and the direction we have taken it.

I think folks make a WAY bigger deal out of things than need to - start or operate your existing unit to serve your members and don't worry about what some others are doing or saying - all clubs (including this forum) (and any new club that is formed) have - and must have - some basic rules. The WBCCI basic rules are not too imposing. I think you have to really mess up bad to get a whole unit kicked out of the WBCCI.

The reason I started the FCU is because I did not want to fragment this group - that does not seem to accomplish anything - another reason was because this is a club with a 50+ year history and tradition - seems really nuts to just throw that away - we have had incredible growth in membership from all over the country and most of those are folks who are new to the WBCCI who have never joined.

I am pleased that the WBCCI has accepted us - believe me at first they did not - but in the end they did - thats a real positive thing and yes I was not sure they would - but they did, to me that says a lot.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Personally I do not need a president, a vice president, a trustee. I need a group that wants to go camping, have fun, and enjoy our Airstreams.

I'm really not trying to be difficult - but if you want some protection against liability - a HUGE concern these days - you will need to incorporate as a new non profit corporation and file for exemption from tax with the IRS 501(c)(7) - all this requires a President and at least a Sec/treas

Also I understand Airstream is a trademarked name - and I doubt they will let you use it.

Life is never simple............

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
This is not about who was parked on the grass and who was not. That is what you have made this into. The need for a new club is in getting what it's members want and need. Personally I do not need an IBT. Personally I do not need a president, a vice president, a trustee. I need a group that wants to go camping, have fun, and enjoy our Airstreams.
And yet if you start a new club and collect any dues at all, you will have to have a president and a vice president and whathaveyou (labels are your choice). The IRS (among others) will force it upon you whether you like it or not.

To avoid this, my suggestion is simply to use the Airforums as your club. No dues, no organization, no hassle. Just go camping with other Airforums members.

Lynn
Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
You know, the folks who were involved in founding the WBCCI were of a generation in which regimentation was central to one's life and success. That this Lebensanschauung would become part and parcel to the group's organization would not be unexpected.

I won't go on and on with this one, but rather just post a link to a suggestive document from NASA's diversity management office on dealing with different generations. (Not that I agree with all aspects of this document, but it does have its use.)

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/diversit...deJanFeb06.pdf

Lynn
Camaraderie is all that mattered then and now. Just to have fun, in or out of the Club. But it is the relationship of one person to another. Organizations aren't for everyone, but having fun and a clear mind is.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Airforums = no liability protection - its not a club

Again - not trying to be difficult - but these are the facts.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #57
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post

Again - not trying to be difficult - but these are the facts.

Ken J.
I'm going to a rally in a few weeks that just would not be happening if it weren't for the WBCCI liability protection
Old 07-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Quote:
I'm going to a rally in a few weeks that just would not be happening if it weren't for the WBCCI liability protection
Yup...me too! We are co-hosting a large (70+ trailer) rally that wouldn't be happening w/o the liability coverage of the WBCCI.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
If you don't have a club and you tell people with airstreams that you are going to be camping at campground X and you say come on lets have some fun. I don't see a liability issue. You get your spot they pay for their spot. No meetings, no uniforms, or club memberships... Just folks getting together and having a good times with their airstreams. For the fun of it you could give an unofficial name to your outting.

Brian
Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I guess Im not very well informed. What are these two liability policies for that I pay for every month?. IF I go to an AIRFORUMS rally or to any campground my policies cover any mistakes I make as an individual. Im just not understanding why these rallys would not occur be it not for WBCCI.
Please inform me.
Thanks
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote