Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Please read what you have typed before touching that ENTER key

I just know some will jump all over me for this once again but really. All I ask, so others don’t make rash opinions of your replies, is to read what you have typed. Maybe edit a little. The reader should not have to interpret or decipher what you are trying to say. I’m not attacking one’s educational level just read what you have typed and determine whether you can understand it as a fresh reader would.
The following was a reply about twin versus queen beds. I’m guessing he likes the queen bed better.

“Until you hug a freezing cold Aluminum skin with a pen to the world outside locker exposed to heat and cold yea we had that been there tied it from 20 degrees to 120 degrees. Sold it now a new Airsteam living the with tight edges and very comfortable queen bed.”
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
[emoji57]if you have one of these you probably know exactly what was written.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I read that reply also and wondered what the heck. Were they talk texting and had some food in their mouth [emoji2957]. That's the kind of reply you just pass over because you can't make the translation. We are a silly bunch on these public forums.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
You really have to scratch your head on some posts. Sometimes a letter is hit by mistake or omitted and some posters may have had too many glasses of punch. The one that has me guessing is when words like lose and loose are swapped. Spell check rescues me a lot. Like Ray says "we are only human beans".
Old 08-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Oh boy here come the grammar police…
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I get pretty frustrated with autocorrect. Sometimes it “corrects” the word that I intended to type into another word that makes no sense, or into nonsense. When I typed the first sentence in this response, it autocorrected the word “with” to “surg”. Surg??? I don’t even know what that means.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Furrarri's For Sale... perfect condition... 100% Original

We have Two Furrarri's for sale. A model 350 and a model 450.

Offers will be considered. Original owners. Excellent Condition. Has original venting and 100% original. Never in an accident. Both have been detailed and cleaned.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Whot?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Whot?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Yre rite! This is impotant, ‘$’ tht decimel is in rite plc. [emoji846]
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:58 PM   #10
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
The delete key is my friend. I really should use it more...
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lost and Not Found

help!!! i just typed for 20 minutes and my post was lost vbob Airstream Motorhome Forums

03-02-2003 8:03PM
Old 08-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Myne went to the same place.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
Myne went to the same place.
Ditoe!
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Whot?

I wos ahle to reed yer pest quycly.
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
It rlleay dsnoet maettr waht poelpe tpye, or how, bceuase we iatnctulllees wlil be albe to raed it

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
It rlleay dsnoet maettr waht poelpe tpye, or how, bceuase we iatnctulllees wlil be albe to raed it
Not sure about intellectuals, but we find if the first and last letter are correct, our brains read it correctly. Amazing!
Me, I usually edit my posts 3 times before I catch all the misspellings and autocorrect fumbles. Two finger typing is a curse.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Oh boy here come the grammar police…
I am definitely not the grammar police, I just like to read things that make sense.
Like the OP said, just read what you have typed before hitting submit.

PS I had to make 3 changes to the above text because of spelling errors and not typing all of the words
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
I wholeheartedly agree that people should be reading what they’ve written before they can post it. I also believe that the need to do this goes beyond grammar and syntax, as well as simple clarity. I probably could have posted this in any number of the diesel vs. gas or 1/2T F150 threads, but I’m glad this one was started because this is probably the best place for it.

I’ve read lots of interesting comments on AF (some of which are unintelligible) while people “make their case” for or against diesel, against or for a post or a poster, or to pass judgment or judgement (depending on your perspective). This also applies to composting toilets, restoration of antique trailers and the wisdom of staying at a KOA.

I was particularly enamored of a thread that was full of insane grammar and syntax, unbelievable conclusions and bizarre advice. It went on for page after page and it was reminiscent of the person that went to see 25 lawyers for advice but decided to represent himself in court. It wasn’t that all of the advice was bad, but some of the “advice“ was nothing more than idle banter and sentence fragments. Dipping your toe in that pool was fraught with peril, because the "know less than all" posters could not be bothered with facts while at the same time they were attacking the people that assured them Kitty Hawk was not in Ohio - the "Birthplace of Aviation."

I trend with Ray as a Neanderthal based on experience. Nobody likes paleontology and anthropology, because the concepts are just too hard. Those Neanderthals with the protruding forehead and Chignon Hook understood when scent was thrown, and why it was. Strangely enough, it could be difficult to figure out that thrown scent for many reasons and especially if you have recently had Covid.

On AF, you should not have an opinion on many things, or your opinion will count for nothing. I think even those prehistoric ancestors understood that despite the best wishes of all, everything was not rainbows and unicorns and this was certainly the case for those that used a one swing, heavy duty club as opposed to those with sticks that broke upon impact despite knowing this in advance.

Life is hard, but nobody wants to work hard. This includes not checking your post. Those same nobodies (so to speak) don't want to be told their doing it wrong (grammar, spelling, diesel, hitch, cleaning products, ramen noodle brands) or that something else different may be better. If it is more expensive or even potentially more expensive, you might as well scrap it and start over. After all, we really can’t have nice things in the end because it just isn’t fair to everyone.

When told to the contrary some will cry foul and feel like their delicate sensibilities are being offended. Doing it right is just too hard and suffering any kind of sling and arrow for being told that is blasphemous. Even more so when an extra dollar is involved. So many of the deadly sins factor in that sometimes it’s hard to know where to start with envy, sloth and unrequited avarice (does that count?). Gluttony comes in as well, especially for those that post chapter and verse, in thread after thread, about musings and extrapolation regarding trailers they’ve never owned, or perhaps based on experience in towing for all of a month. That’s OK, because any information is good information even if it’s the wrong information. Even better if full of words that make no sense. If you step out of the single file formation and address an issue with a different perspective, or perhaps have to respond in some manner to one of the aforementioned slings and arrows, make sure that you do so on bended knee because anything less and you will be strapped to the Catherine wheel.

Some people skipped middle school, while others excelled at spelling bees and fingerpainting. Some of those same kids were told that if they had nothing nice to say, they better keep their mouth shut. Don’t question the general consensus and make sure you are going with the flow. Dyed in the grain and against the grain or two different things, but make sure you don’t say that on or you will feel the wrath. You could put a ton of that grain in the back of your 1/2T stripper, "good enough" rig, but don’t ever tell anyone that you could put a ton of that grain in the back of your diesel or 7.3 gasser because you’ll be excoriated for using too much tool for the job and not saving money for your fitted sheets on your twin bed set up or your brushed nickel Command hooks. That doesn’t count for hitches, because the hitch police (as they were called) are never wrong, but others according to the lemming pack are wrong all the time, even when they are correct. Nobody likes that know it all, but everybody is somebody. I heard a middle school kid once say nobody likes a smart___, but everyone hates a dumb ___. I think that same middle school child was also a moderator on several online forums as well.

Everyone wants the easy way out and the trophy, and they also want to feel good about everything they post on a public forum - spelling, grammar and incorrect "facts" be damned. When the kumbaya ends after the nobody is confronted with the different opinion the wagons are circled. It cost more, it's not approved by AS and they are wrong, because "nobody" is always right.

Any middle school drop out dude or dudette can tell you that (as can Donald Fagen), but only by way of a private message because that’s the way the grain goes. In the end, we can all feel great that even with the abundance of snowflakes falling and piling up at times, there appear to be plenty of larger diesel and even outsize gas rigs that could be outfitted with the appropriate snow removal equipment to make sure nothing will ice up and there are no slip and fall injuries.

As always, your mileage may vary.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Boston , Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
[emoji57]if you have one of these you probably know exactly what was written.
I’ve a 25 rear corner bed I know exactly what he kinda means
TeddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
The posts that get me are when an owner asks for specific technical information without volunteering what model, sometimes type, of fridge, water heater, converter, whatever they are troubleshooting. Often, we aren’t even clued in to what type of trailer they own… or if it is actually a trailer. For those who assume “It’s in my profile,” there is some information that does not appear when you are using the app on a smartphone.
There are many variations on the Airstream theme!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote