Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Please Hijack This Thread...

...and stay on topic with the other threads you read, to those you contribute, and to those you subscribe to.

Like other threads, this one has no particular topic (for reference see the Off Topic Forum for threads such as Random Thoughts and Any Topic). Any topic is fair game.

The difference between this thread and other threads of random/off-topic nature is you should immediately come to this thread and add your off-topic comments and maybe even add a link to the thread to which you were about to write some unrelated, drivel that the OP doesn't care about.

Example 1)

OP: "How do I repair the water heater in my RV, it has such & such a problem. Or, should I buy a replacement water heater?"

Respondent: "Let me tell you about how my tire blew out and damaged the water heater tank and that ultimately led to a leak in the water heater storage tank and the floor rotted out"

If you are that person responding, you should instead, come to this thread and post your unrelated comments. It will do just a much good (or bad) and everyone else participating in the thread, and staying on topic, will be happy you stopped yourself from hijacking that thread.

This thread, on the other hand, is intended to be hijacked! Don't hijack other threads with your completely unrelated comments.

In the example above there is a tenuous connection between the OP and the respondent. The person responding can say (I guess they believe) their comment is pertinent since it involves a water heater.

How about the next example. We've all seen similar topics and comments and been the recipient of our threads being hijacked..

Example 2)

OP: "I'm considering buying a brand X tow vehicle. I'd like to hear from anyone who has brand X, specifically model Y with feature Z so I can decide if it suits my needs."

Respondent: "I cant' believe that brand X still makes vehicles! They are complete cr@p! I can't imagine why anyone would want model Y, that's old technology! Feature Z?! I have twice feature Z and it's much better!"

So if you're that person... I know I have been from time to time... Come on over hear and hijack this thread.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Okay, I'm game....a posting that I wouldn't want to post in a TV thread....

Ford trucks are garbage, unless under warranty. They require way too many special service tools to work on. Your local mechanic loath's to work on them, (my local mechanic refuses to work on any post square body Ford).

Parts, even if they are the same part, have different part numbers and cost, depending on which trim level you bought; for example, the wing mirror on a Lincoln Mark VIII was identical to a Mercury Cougar's wing mirror, but over 50% more. If your F series truck needs a new caliper, check to see if the lower trim trucks caliper is the same; if it is, I guarantee you the lower trims caliper will be cheaper than the one for your Harley Davidson trim truck. Ford has a "different" part number for the same parts for different trims; that's just plain wrong.[emoji35]

Ford vehicles are designed to be assembled in the lowest amount of time, which means a F-150 comes off the line every 54 seconds. Ford's are NOT designed to be repaired, or disassemble easily. Case in point, mid 2000's F- series super duty diesel fuel injectors......to get all of them out, required you to take apart the front end and remove the cab......for a total of 14 hours charged at $100.00+ per hour to re & re the cab; let alone the $1,000+ per injector; plus installation.

And yet people buy Ford's, why you ask? Because people love the interior of the cab.[emoji849]

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Let's talk about people who go out of their way to get upset when a thread is highjacked.

In my opinion, al threads will wander, especially after the original question has been answered a bunch of times. Or the discussion gets boring and needs some excitement. This is life. Those who worry about that must be former assistant principals and possibly, if Tony is correct, drive Fords.

My advice is come to Colorado, visit a dispensary and everything will look so much better and you won't care what happens with threads.

Is Tony correct about Fords? My first car was a '56 Mercury, it was a piece of crap, but it was a car, it was 1959, and the front seat got a lot of use (it was bigger than the back seat). I had a '72 Chevy pickup once and it held up pretty well though it drank gas by the bucket. I never had a Chrysler product because I knew better despite my previous errors. I didn't listen to a mechanic who told me 45 years ago not to buy that Jeep because they are very high maintenance. He was right. So, on to the dispensary....

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I’ve had Fords, Chevys, Chrysler, Pontiac, Buick, Plymouth, Dodge, etc. In my humble opinion they all were about the same as far as maintenance goes. The older cars were definitely cheaper to fix. Fuel pump at $40 on my 1969 Ford LTD vs $700 on my 2000 Olds. Like everything else one person gets a lemon the next gets one that never has anything go wrong. Go figure.

Actually one of the best little cars I had was a GEO Prism hatchback. Ran wonderfully. And I could put my skis in it without a problem.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've had several Ford's. Used it to carry a water heater to the dump. Maybe the guy with the water heater problem had the same as mine, except mine was 50 gallons for the house. It had a lot of sediment. Speaking of water heaters I just put new tires on the truck. Got Michelin's. Maybe a Tesla truck would be better.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Deleted, not as funny as I thought it would be.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Anyone have an opinion on which weight distribution hitch I should get? Baaaahaaaaahhhhaaaaa
Old 12-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I'll be monitoring this thread closely because I'm interested in traveling to South Succotash, so I'm interested in the best route to take and where to stay.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I have a really good recipe for succotash casserole that you can make while pulling in a Ford without a weight distribution hitch I can post it here or on all the threads if you'd like.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Should I get a F250 or F150? And, front bed or rear bed? Diesel or gas?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I have hijacked the OP.
Nvestysly will not be released until the ransom is paid in Airstream dollars or bitcoin.
Too bad so sad.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Deleted, not as funny as I thought it would be.
That happens to me all the time, but I don't delete them.

If the posts are really bad, I go find a Ford and throw them in the window. My neighbor has a Ford 150 and is now spending $800-900 to fix broken bolts on the manifold. The mechanic said "it happens all the time and happens to Chevies and Dodges too". He didn't mention Toyotas.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Should I get a F250 or F150? And, front bed or rear bed? Diesel or gas?

Depends, what kind of tires do you have on your AS?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
That happens to me all the time, but I don't delete them.

If the posts are really bad, I go find a Ford and throw them in the window. My neighbor has a Ford 150 and is now spending $800-900 to fix broken bolts on the manifold. The mechanic said "it happens all the time and happens to Chevies and Dodges too". He didn't mention Toyotas.
Most mechanics charge out the wazoo to fix those because they don’t know how to remove the broken studs. My mechanic’s secret is safe with me.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
This thread won’t drift properly until someone brings up hogging the left lane, how to be safe when camping, or what you can bring to Canada. And go!

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
This thread won’t drift properly until someone brings up hogging the left lane, how to be safe when camping, or what you can bring to Canada. And go!
Many issues have a temporary solution with explosives, though you can't bring them into Canada. But you can bring them to Jackson Center where the shop does a good job compared to dealers. Remember the factory was used to make bazookas in WW II.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Any of you mugs using anything other than an EZ-Pride 3/4T coffee maker at 80 PSI - which you switch out every 3 years whether or not you’ve used it - are just nuts!

Moreover - if you haven’t weighed your cat on a bathroom scale at the start of every camping season and adjusted your kitty’s eyes from pointing upwards - please let me know when and where you’re traveling so I can avoid getting in an accident with you!

[emoji35]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If a man and a half
in a day and a half
can cut a cord of wood and a half,
how long would it take for a one-legged grasshopper to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If a man and a half
in a day and a half
can cut a cord of wood and a half,
how long would it take for a one-legged grasshopper to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

E) all of the above
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Old man post: this same subject has been the subject of other threads and if you just use the "search" function, you will find something or another.

Young man post (none, they are all trying to pay their student loans and will get a trailer in 75 years.)