Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #781
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brooms. For flying or cleaning?

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #782
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If a man and a half
in a day and a half
can cut a cord of wood and a half,
how long would it take for a one-legged grasshopper to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?
No solution, bananas don’t float.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #783
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #784
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Forumites must have other things to do. Note that Otra15 has been gone from the Forum since the start of August. He needed a vacation from the Forum.

I need a vacation from smoke and haze. We had some better air, but the smoke is back. Fortunately we have had more rain lately than last year and hopefully that is a good sign of future rain.

I have other things to do too. They require "work". Unpaid work unless you consider your wife's happiness to be pay. I have so many things to do I have to contemplate for a while.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #785
Custom User Title

2016 19' International
Everett , Pennsylvania
Limnocnida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #786
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
For $42,500...

I expect that I wouldn't have to cock my neck sideways to look at the pictures:

https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com...ds+-+Emails%29

ON EDIT: maybe it's the gravitational field where I'm located. Perhaps if I was at the north pole (maybe the south pole) the pictures would be upright. On second thought, maybe I have to be at the Equator.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #787
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
That’s more than we got for our ‘08 ten years after we bought it, but this one is in really good shape and RV’s are in demand right now. I’m not that excited about that chair, but if the subfloors are good, axles are good, tires are good, etc., this might be a good deal.

Peter (Otra15) update—there is a thread about “where is Peter”, but I will repeat. He did contact me and said it was ok to tell everyone where he has been after he took a break from the Forum and got on the road. Peter has had “brain lesions” for some time, but I guess it got worse and he was hospitalized. He is improving and is hopeful. His messages to me are short and we all know Peter can write a lot, maybe even more than me. There are many things that could cause this and you can Google it, but I don’t know the cause or anything more. The prognosis depending on the cause can be anything from no problem to lots of problems. So I wish him well and hope things are going well.

Having just done annual maintenance (after two years) on my boiler, I am exhausted. This is a high efficiency unit made by a company that went out of business. I seem to have one of the good ones. It is a Munchkin. I have to take off the front and clean out the crap in the firebox and check to see the condensate line is clear. I wasn’t sure the line was working right and started improving that part of the system. I actually read the installation instructions, something the plumber who put it in apparently did not. For example, condensate must not flow into copper or other metal pipes, so it was installed to drain in our sewer through copper pipes. That part I solved two years ago, and now I positioned the drain lines better. Getting it to the sewer was impossible, so I have it going outside, probably a violation of something. I have been mulling over that for two years and have no ideas. I dropped a star drive bit in the sand and once that happens, sand worms suck it down to the center of the earth, but I found a bit that worked just as well. Getting the angle of the rubber lines and filter was very hard plus getting the air vent just right. The instructions were terrible and I spend a lot of time experimenting and guessing. The very thin rubber seal for the cover kept falling out. It was sort of like the worlds largest, thinnest, most floppy O ring and would not stay in. It was of course the last thing to do to put it back together. The job stretched to 4+ hours, I was hungry, the @#&%]}<>!! seal kept falling out, it stretched to be too long so I cut out an inch which was too much, so I cut the inch in half, it stayed in and I put the plate over it before it fell out again. I can imagine trying to find a replacement seal for it. Too tired to test the boiler, I came in and was told I was tracking sand inside—not true that time, but I had before, so I have been found to be a home felon and had to take my shoes off rather than eat right away. Wouldn’t it be simpler if we had sand floors and never had to worry about tracking things in? No expensive vacuums, just rake it every couple of weeks. I’ll test it tomorrow and if it doesn’t work I will consider burning the house down and starting over. That is a drastic solution, but I think it may have some pleasure in it if the insurance company doesn’t catch on.

We have had clear, or mostly clear air, for a much of the time for two weeks. Glad the winds shifted and we hope the recent increase in rain from 0 to a few inches continues.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #788
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Heads Up, Windoze Users

Was just reading about Windows 11, due out in a few weeks. Nope, don't like it, don't like it at all.

It's all about "the design", don't ya know? Don't see many improvements. Lots of changes to the User Interface, things will "look" different on the screen. And we'll have to figure out where they moved everything to (the start button will now be in the middle of the systray). Unclear if anything will work better. Prob'ly not. Remember Windows Vista? And it's improved version, Windows 8 (wait, maybe that was the other way 'round)? It does have the advantage of forcing a lot of old hardware into the trash can. Yeah, right.

Why in the world do we keep fixing things that aren't broken? Oh yeah, wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be the last version of Windows ever?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #789
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jim, you could get an Apple product and they keep getting worse too. New iPhones come without chargers. Doesn’t Apple understand if you don’t charge it, it will never wear out and you never will buy another phone? More to the point, the quality of Apple products and software keeps going downhill and the costs to consumers keeps going up. They finally realized following the Microsoft example can make them even richer. I have been using Apple products for more than 40 years and I choose them because of product quality and ease of use. Now you don’t even get a manual and I don’t know what most of the “improvements” do. In fact, they hardly ever explain anything and act like Grand and Inscrutable Poobahs. Steve Jobs was a sick man when it came to other people, but when he ran the company their products were much better. I only buy new ones because I have an idea how they work, but I wait until they barely work and then look for rebuilt ones.

You are not alone. For decades we Apple users could lord it over Microsoft users, but our time is over. We are all victims of corporate culture.

Old 10-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #790
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I just returned from a trip to upstate NY and then down through NJ to Cape May and the VA Eastern Shore. All well - but...

what is with the gas pumpers in NJ? Do you tip them? Are they just union featherbedding jobs? Are NJ folks not capable of self-serve?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #791
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I just returned from a trip to upstate NY and then down through NJ to Cape May and the VA Eastern Shore. All well - but...

what is with the gas pumpers in NJ? Do you tip them? Are they just union featherbedding jobs? Are NJ folks not capable of self-serve?

Pat
We don't tip them when we're in NJ. I am not aware that anyone tips them but I guess I've never asked. I suppose tips are acceptable but not required.
I wouldn't be surprised if some local folks give an annual tip at holidays.

Yes, you are paying the wages for the fuel attendant but if the prices are reasonable I don't mind. Since NJ fuel prices are reasonably competitive with surrounding states - sometimes even lower prices than surrounding states - the system seems to work.

Way back when self-serve came to be, NJ decided they didn't want to put people out of work. Maybe it's unions, maybe just a way to stay with the tried & true. Who knows? I think the state must keep the fuel taxes low in order to offset the added cost of the attendant and remain competitive.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #792
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:

Pat
1 perhaps a salute to nostalgia
2 perhaps too many diesel vs. Gas foulups
3 too many explosions?

And then there was the time I saw a punk working at 7-11 checking the tank levels with a long stick and a lighted cigarette dangling from his mouth...
I went totally "Karen" 15 years before that was a thing. When he was about 10 feet away from the second lid, I grabbed his long greasy hair in one hand and his cigarette with the other and dragged his scrawny ass into the store. Made a scene- with graphic burn ward stories. Got thanked, by the scrawny kid of all people.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #793
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Question: What do the letters RBQ and FBQ mean at the end of a new Airstream name/description? I assume the RB and FB refer to "Rear Bedroom" and "Front Bedroom". What does the Q stand for? "Quad" something?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #794
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Question: What do the letters RBQ and FBQ mean at the end of a new Airstream name/description? I assume the RB and FB refer to "Rear Bedroom" and "Front Bedroom". What does the Q stand for? "Quad" something?

Jim
yes front and rear bedroom, Q is for queen bed as opposed to T for twin.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #795
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:

Pat

Well?

Bob
🇺🇸
...this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23DAAEB6-73D6-439F-A9EB-062CD4B7EC7A.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	405386  
Old 10-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #796
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Jim, you could get an Apple product and they keep getting worse too. New iPhones come without chargers. Doesn’t Apple understand if you don’t charge it, it will never wear out and you never will buy another phone? More to the point, the quality of Apple products and software keeps going downhill and the costs to consumers keeps going up. They finally realized following the Microsoft example can make them even richer. I have been using Apple products for more than 40 years and I choose them because of product quality and ease of use. Now you don’t even get a manual and I don’t know what most of the “improvements” do. In fact, they hardly ever explain anything and act like Grand and Inscrutable Poobahs. Steve Jobs was a sick man when it came to other people, but when he ran the company their products were much better. I only buy new ones because I have an idea how they work, but I wait until they barely work and then look for rebuilt ones.

You are not alone. For decades we Apple users could lord it over Microsoft users, but our time is over. We are all victims of corporate culture.

Boy did you nail it. I was a late convert, dedicated to staying on Winblows for various reasons, including my personal machine was aligned with my work device. Then it happened, the infamous destruction uf my user id and data caused during an update. I was pi$$ed!
Since I was running Linux machines for compute at work and fun at home, I had been toying with a Mac anyway, which has a Linux-like platform underneath so in 2015 I switched and was thrilled with the capability and reliability of my big iMac. That said, I felt quite financially molested over the cost given the level of hardware. But I was satisfied enough to fall for their “ecosystem” BS and switch to iPhone, though really it was in opposition to supporting google.
Anyway flash forward, in 2019 i needed tablet portability AND compute. I was one of the suckers who believed I could get away with the iPad pro. What a POS, the pencil too. They’re nothing more than toys. So I picked up a Surface Pro 6 and was thrilled with the reliability and capabilities. It’s a handy compact tablet when I need it and a real computer with awesome keyboard feel when I need it. Microsoft finally did something well and now I too am afraid they’ll “fix” what isn’t broken. 🥲
And I won’t even be able to downgrade to a MacBook pro because they’re peddling the m1 chips in them at stupid, crazy prices.

All this new technology and it’s simply changes for the sake of changes rather than for the sake of improvement - rather like a corporate restructuring! [emoji12]

How’s that for a rant? Did I pass? 🤣

Cheers,
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #797
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
SNIP>?>?>?>?>?>?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Travel View Post
Boy did you nail it.

All this new technology and it’s simply changes for the sake of changes rather than for the sake of improvement - rather like a corporate restructuring! [emoji12]

How’s that for a rant? Did I pass? 🤣

Cheers,
The modern definition of "new technology"...anything that will deflate your cash stash at the speed of light.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #798
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Speaking of cash

I don't know how much you need to run a big company......

Apple had $200 BILLION in actual cash in the bank earlier this year. January numbers were most the recent I could find quickly. In fact, most Big Tech companies are sitting on big numbers, too. Microsoft is at $136 billion, Google at $132 billion, the Big Loser is Amazon, only $67 Billion. I sure hope those crazies in Washington don't find out about this.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #799
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
New iPhones come without chargers.
That's because most people have a drawer full of chargers and don't need another. Less waste.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:00 PM   #800
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
That's because most people have a drawer full of chargers and don't need another. Less waste.
I have several chargers that limp along—broken wires, plugs that only charge sometimes and a few that work well. The quality of the chargers is poor. I keep one in the car, three in the kitchen because we may have 2 iphones and an iPad to charge at the same time. The iPad charges very, very slowly, so it takes one charger for a long time. The phones have to be charged often. The EU has ordered all chargers must be the same which Apple doesn’t like because it’s chargers are different and often changed so they can sell more I suppose. Apple made its reputation on quality of hardware and software, innovation and simplicity. They’ve pretty much forgotten all that.

The laptops have had bad keyboards for years. Try finding anywhere that has one letter to sell—my “a” broke a year ago and the keyboard letters wear off the keys after a while. They want to sell you an entire keyboard. Tape has kept the “a” operating.

There is really no surprise. Companies that have a period of quality and dependability only stay true to those principles for a few decades and then change for the worse. Toyota is sacrificing reliability—what made it successful—for style and speed. We have had a lot of Toyota’s, but our last SUV was a Subaru. Of course the Subaru has a problem too—incomprehensible electronics which have hurt its ratings.

We have taken a few days for ourselves near Ouray and Ridgway, Colorado (yes Ridgway has no “e”). Spending a week helping take care of Barb’s 96 year old mother does re-focus you.