Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #801
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Somebody stole the "e" from "judgment" too. Wonder where they went?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #802
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
1 perhaps a salute to nostalgia
2 perhaps too many diesel vs. Gas foulups
3 too many explosions?
New Jersey and Oregon are the only 2 states that don't allow you to pump your own gas. Oregon has recently made a few changes to this, allowing people is more rural areas to pump their own.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/here-ar...-your-own-gas/
In 1949, New Jersey passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act. This law banned the use of fuel stations by consumers. This meant that all vehicles receiving fuel must be serviced from the fuel station itself, and its employees. In 1951, Oregon passed its own version of this law, though each state has faced its own challenges to the law through the years.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #803
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Somebody stole the "e" from "judgment" too. Wonder where they went?

Pat
They're all back in England. They put them in the word "grey", programme and "ageing".
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #804
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have always spelled grey "grey". Does that revoke my citizenship? Perhaps the missing "e's" have something to do with "e-i-e-i-o".

I will confess to have finished pumping my gas in Oregon when the attendant disappeared for a while. I don't know if I were reported to the authorities, but I have been in Oregon at least one other time after my criminal acts and haven't been caught. Perhaps the statute of limitations has run by now and it is safe for me to go back.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #805
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I have always spelled grey "grey". Does that revoke my citizenship? Perhaps the missing "e's" have something to do with "e-i-e-i-o".
It's supposed to be the French influence in spelling, at least that's what I found in a very brief research. It's like with Cheque and programme and a few other words I don't recall. English: Two countries separated by a common language.

Lots of language influences from different countries at different times in world history. Compound that with adopted misspellings, local vernacular and new words added daily to all languages.

As for "grey/gray", just ask for silver (light or dark), (matte or flat).
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #806
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Quote:
Jim, you could get an Apple product and they keep getting worse too. New iPhones come without chargers. Doesn’t Apple understand if you don’t charge it, it will never wear out and you never will buy another phone? More to the point, the quality of Apple products and software keeps going downhill and the costs to consumers keeps going up. They finally realized following the Microsoft example can make them even richer. I have been using Apple products for more than 40 years and I choose them because of product quality and ease of use. Now you don’t even get a manual and I don’t know what most of the “improvements” do. In fact, they hardly ever explain anything and act like Grand and Inscrutable Poobahs. Steve Jobs was a sick man when it came to other people, but when he ran the company their products were much better. I only buy new ones because I have an idea how they work, but I wait until they barely work and then look for rebuilt ones.

You are not alone. For decades we Apple users could lord it over Microsoft users, but our time is over. We are all victims of corporate culture.

You can use your present adapter to charge your new phone as they still have Lightning on one end even if the other is USB -C. So don't toss out any chargers as long as the iPhone has a Lightning connector in it. Or use your iPad charger.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #807
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Quote:

I will confess to have finished pumping my gas in Oregon when the attendant disappeared for a while. I don't know if I were reported to the authorities, but I have been in Oregon at least one other time after my criminal acts and haven't been caught. Perhaps the statute of limitations has run by now and it is safe for me to go back.

I've always spelled it "grey" "judgement" and "ageing". It's a matter of preference and all are correct.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #808
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
I've always spelled it "grey" "judgement" and "ageing". It's a matter of preference and all are correct.
I always spelled it “judgement” until I went to law school and saw it always without the “e”. One less letter saves time. Canada retains a lot of English spellings.

We are always witnessing changes in language. The apostrophe is disappearing much to my chagrin. There are few noun forms in English, only possessive and plural. Aside from irregular plurals, all use “s”. Seems kind of simple. When I took Latin in high school (taught me better grammar, but was really hard), I think there were 5 noun declensions, each with ten different possible endings to denote singular and plural, subject, possessive, object of something and I can’t remember—that is 50 different endings, some the same, some not. I suspect spoken Latin was simpler, but no one who spoke it has been alive for a while. Most were unnecessary, but plurals are not either and many languages do not have them. The definite article is also unnecessary. I am unsure, but I think Russian has neither. Now we can discuss the Great Vowel Shift.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:50 AM   #809
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . Now we can discuss the Great Vowel Shift.
Do you have a new column coming out soon, Gene, it has been about a month or so?

Thanks,

Peter
Por Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #810
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por Sonia View Post
Do you have a new column coming out soon, Gene, it has been about a month or so?

Thanks,

Peter
Today.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #811
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
How did it get to be mid November? Long dark days and cold temps. When we had a dog, the dog had arthritis, a really bad disease for a dog. The vet told us if a dog made it through November, they’d make it through the winter. We’re half way through the month and I hope to make it to December. Woof! You really don’t know who is on the internet. Gotta go chew some slippers.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #812
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
We had a black lab that I carried up the stairs each night because of arthritis. She never liked to be carried but at this point she seemed happy to have someone make the journey. Warm sunshine in the slider door was her friend, making her joints tolerable. We gave her half an ascription and that really helped.

She's been gone a long time now. I don't recall how long after that we had her, at least a year and a half, maybe longer. She was a good companion, wouldn't hurt anyone, not even strangers. We miss her.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #813
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We had to carry the dog outside and help her squat. She could hardly walk. Once that happens, they are no longer dogs. We discussed whether we were keeping her alive for us or for her—the answer was for us. Her last night we slept on the floor next to her and then took her to the vet that morning. That moment of fear when the vet put the needle in her leg was hard to take, but then she calmed and in what was forever and really was less than 20 seconds, she was gone. Taking pets/family for euthanasia has happened to me three times and I haven't forgotten many details of those awful experiences. We went to work that day, but weren't completely there.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #814
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We were so lucky..."Fado",our last PWD passed disease free, at home in his sleep July 4th 2018.
He was the light of our life for 16 happy years.
Tail wag'n and kisses flowing until he said goodby.
Rest easy sweet friend...🥲

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6FEEDE3E-C572-4C37-9C4A-B2E89B7D7356_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	408094   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC817FAC-C92D-4B82-9A74-43E025CBFD0E_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	408095  

Old 11-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #815
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Got my new MacBook 13" laptop and it is super fast, color is great, and I had to buy two adapters for the USB-C ports, read the extra minimal instructions in 10 seconds (how does Apple think we will promote all the toys on it if we don't know what it does?) and it took days to transfer data from my old one to the new one. Keyboard feels much better, but hope the letters don't wear and keys break like other Macs have. Overpriced of course, but I know Apple products and they all work together. Otherwise I would haven bought another brand. Now I ordered hearing aids (cheaper ones I got a month ago are not good) and Xmas comes early. Will get new snow tires for the SUV's present. Barb has been naughty which is nice and will get a big kiss. Hoping for a white Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #816
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
Have an older MacBookPro, and love using a mouse and being able to right and left click for certain operations. DO NOT LIKE TOUCH SCREENS!

Happy Thanksgiving to all . . . hope the mouse tastes good . . .

Por Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:55 PM   #817
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I didn't like touch screens at first, but now they are easy. No mice today, just tofu and veggie stuff for me, a little bit of turkey and stuff for Barb. Lots of stuff[ing], though less than in years past. We worked on it for a big part of yesterday and thus today was fairly easy. We only had one plate each and saved dessert for this evening. Could be we are finally growing up or as ancients, our we don't need as much to eat. Will have leftovers for a week.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:15 AM   #818
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
The tradition at our house is to eschew tradition. Vietnamese vermicelli bowls (pork and chicken) were on the menu but the daughter’s family came down with Covid. Thanksgiving meal will wait a week or two.
Fungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #819
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fungus, hope your daughter's family gets well soon and doesn't get long Covid.

I certainly have ignored many traditions, but some feel right. Barb used whole wheat bread for the stuffing, but it just didn't taste right. She agreed. We have been eating whole wheat bread for decades, but stuffing must not be changed!

Old 12-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #820
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I was wondering what happened to the argue thread. Seems like a good day to argue about anything. It is cloudy and depressing. Excitement is required. And, finally, I disagree.