Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #61
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Interesting when somebody says... My XYZ is EXACTLY like that XYZ only different!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #62

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Interesting when somebody says... My XYZ is EXACTLY like that XYZ only different!
Oh those French, not again always asking for money.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #63
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
One affair after another, eh?

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:42 AM   #64

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I guess it would be an affair even though you are asking for money, the war after discovery would still be the same.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #65
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
“Growing Old…being able to think about things you can no longer remember.”
RLC
Molly Ivins, I miss her wit and wisdom, wish she was still with us, would love to here her comments about the current direction of this country
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #66
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Question: I wonder what the real differences are between brand A, brand B and brand C? Has anyone tried them all or can refer to somebody who has tested the products?

Reply1: Why do you care? Brand B is the best because I said so! And brand B has been around longer.

Reply2: I'll never even try A or B. C has served me well and I can't imagine why you'd think anything different!

Reply3: Here in the A camp we prefer this, that or the other thing. Don't know if B or C has that, but A is DEFINITELY the way to go.

etc., etc.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 02-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Math

A 40 year old man meets a 10 year old girl. Dating is out of the question, he's 4 times as old as she is. So he waits 5 years and now he's 45 and she is 15. That's 3 times the age difference, still too much. He waits for 15 years to pass and now he's 60 and she's 30. Now he's only twice as old as she is.

Question: How much longer does he have to wait until they're the same age?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #68

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

Does it really matter unless he is very rich?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #69
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
A 40 year old man meets a 10 year old girl. Dating is out of the question, he's 4 times as old as she is. So he waits 5 years and now he's 45 and she is 15. That's 3 times the age difference, still too much. He waits for 15 years to pass and now he's 60 and she's 30. Now he's only twice as old as she is.
I actually lived this question. I tutored a high school girl a while back where this actually came up. The tutoring sessions were supervised by her parents, of course, and dating never came up in conversation. But when I first met this girl (her parents were in my Airstream Club unit) I was 55 and she was 11. I was 5 times her age. For about three weeks I was 60 while she was still 15, just before her 16th birthday. I was 4 times her age. When I turn 66, she'll turn 22, and I'll only be 3 times her age. If I live long enough to make it to 88, she'll turn 44 the same year, and I'll only be 2 times her age.

The answer is, no matter how old we both get, I'll always be too old to date her!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Does it really matter unless he is very rich?
Well, I'm Rich, at least that's my opening line...HI! I'm RICH!

This is a math problem, much more fun than involving trains leaving Pittsburgh and Kansas City, don't ya think.

It's kind of like... you meet a pretty girl but each hour you can travel only half the distance between you and her. Technically, you'll never get there. Realistically, you'll get close enough for all practical purposes.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 02-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I actually lived this question. [snip...snip] If I live long enough to make it to 88, she'll turn 44 the same year, and I'll only be 2 times her age.

The answer is, no matter how old we both get, I'll always be too old to date her!
Too old? Age is mind over matter. You don't mind, it doesn't matter. You're only as old as you feel, so always feel someone young.... [rainy day musings]

Thanks for a real life example. I know people well up into their 60s and 70s who live life as though they're 30-40. Exercise, stay healthy and forget the numbers. If your city hosts any running races check the posted ages of the runners. My favorite category is 75 and over, especially when their times are considerably lower than mine. They call it being "geezered", passed by someone much older than you. The oldest I've seen is early 80s, but there are newspaper articles about people 100+ running marathons. A guy in England ran half the marathon, stopped for a pint and a smoke, then finished the race. My hero.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #72

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Too old? Age is mind over matter. You don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Age is just a number, and I don't usually think of myself as old. Not anymore, at least.

I finally had to start thinking of myself as old— at least at work— when I met my first full-time coworker who was literally younger than my career. Because when one can say "I've been doing this since before you were born, sonny," and mean it, that's definitely an old person thing. Luckily, I retired a few years later, and the very act of retiring instantly turned back the clock! I'm a lot younger now than I was back then. If only I could also be healthier now…
Old 02-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Please Hijack This Thread...

My usual comment is, “Old age and treachery will beat youth and enthusiasm EVERY time!”

Followed closely by, “I used to be young and foolish; now I’m just no longer young!”

Last time the PFY** at work got out of line, all of the “old hands” reminded him that we had socks in our dresser older than him, and many of us have multiple grown-up children older than him...

Sadly, he is yet another coworker that is much, much younger than my career and my marriage, for that matter.

**Pimply-Faced Youth, lifted without permission from ‘The Register’ an IT trade magazine in the UK that I read regularly.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I found that a real advantage in working with people much younger than me is I can recycle all of my jokes. They've never heard them. I'm the funniest guy in the office, or was until I retired. It's also interesting when they use a quote and don't know what it means. Quotes like "OK, no comments from the peanut gallery", or "big brother is watching".
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 02-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Once at work I said: “I don’t know nothin’ about birthin’ no software.”

All I got from the young software geeks was blank stares.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Age is just a number, and I don't usually think of myself as old. Not anymore, at least.

I finally had to start thinking of myself as old— at least at work— when I met my first full-time coworker who was literally younger than my career. Because when one can say "I've been doing this since before you were born, sonny," and mean it, that's definitely an old person thing. Luckily, I retired a few years later, and the very act of retiring instantly turned back the clock! I'm a lot younger now than I was back then. If only I could also be healthier now…
It's startling when i realise I've been in Corporate work for over 42 years, and none of these kids nowadays know how to set dwell...

And to finally accept that I cannot do such things anymore, because of the arthritis in my hands. But as a Technical Writer, I can explain how to do so, and to, in a way, keep the old arts alive.

God gives us all a voice, speaking from the past, to the understanding of the future. Things we are passionate about, carry our wisdom to others yet to be born.

Yes, I wish that I were healthier now; but I have years ahead of me, and maybe I shall never completely set aside the vocation which God gave me, but i have determined to strive to be the best that I may be in this moment.

We, as older 'sages ', need to impart some of our wisdom to younger generations. We must not step back from this responsibility, as our world needs it now, more than ever.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:12 AM   #77
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I decided to post on this thread today rather than go off on a tangent on another thread... who knew that I'd find an age related discussion over here! A few comments from Andy Rooney:

Old 02-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #78
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Please Hijack This Thread...

I still really like the post about winterizing with gin. I think this is a great idea. As long as you keep the pressure under 40 psi, I would think it would work. I am guilty of contributing to a lot of thread drift, but I always apologize. So is it really thread drift if you know your drifting?
I used to really like fords. I was a ford guy through and through, but not anymore. They aren’t going solar as quickly as I think they should.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:

30 years if he dies now and stays 60.

Dating would be out except for a very strange 60 year old woman.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #80

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I still really like the post about winterizing with gin. I think this is a great idea. As long as you keep the pressure under 40 psi, I would think it would work.
Depends. 80-proof alcohol (gin, vodka, whiskey, etc.) freezes at -16°F. So as long as your winters don't get that cold…

But seriously, alcoholic beverages as antifreeze could cause damage to any rubber fittings in the plumbing, like seals or gaskets in your fresh water pump. Far better to winterize your liver by drinking the booze and winterize the Airstream with compressed air rather than waste a perfectly good adult beverage as RV antifreeze. Airstream owners can get a buzz, Airstreams can't!