Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2005, 03:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

in front of a computer near Vancouver BC , Canada's Wet Coast
Please Allow me to Introduce Myself

Hey all !

I have been lurking the forums for sometimes as a guest and I thought I would pop up.

First off, I do not own an Airstream.

Why am I here?

I really like the looks of the new International CCD (esp the interior) but I really can't afford it so I am am in the process of looking for a good used one from the 80's. I prefer the floorplans from the 80's on and I am looking to buy one to fix up.

I want to go ultra modern. I know most here are purists so I am worried now that I am out of the closet that I will be shunned from the airstream community.
aluminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Welcome! Looking forward to your adventure!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Go for it! I would prefer to see someone take a trailer, make it useful and use it than to see it wasting away in some field. Good luck to you in your adventure.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
You will quickly find owning the unit is only half of the experience. I am on my second and now considering a motorhome and would not consider anything else but an Airstream so I can stay tied into WBCCI. I was at the dealers last week getting some warranty repairs and saw the limited edition Safari... talk about ultra modern.. I was ready to trade right then and there... (but my wife was there too....)... I think it would be very cool to do a modern refurb to an older trailer.. Keep us posted (with pictures) if you decide to do it.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:51 AM   #5
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Post Go Modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminator
.... I know most here are purists so I am worried now that I am out of the closet that I will be shunned from the airstream community.
HI Aluminator, and welcome.

I don't know of one person who still has green shag carpeting. Modern interiors are very cool and you might actually even be joining a popular club of creative restoration craftsman. Feel free to change anything you want but the shape, and I'll still be your friend

Best of Luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Fear not ... ultra modern interiors are perfectly fine. People get anxious about originality in 50s and 60s trailers, but I notice that very few feel that way about the dark fake wood, orange countertops, and green shag carpets of the 70s!

A few of us have already done what you are proposing. Check out sneakinup's Overlander, and also Project Vintage Thunder. Good luck!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we love variety.....and get as excited about a restoration that keeps the originality as one that takes it to a whole new level. Its all good.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Go for it!

I considered keeping the 70s look when I got my trailer -- for about a day. The outside of mine is great looking, but the more I work on the interior, the more I'm finding there's just not much there worth keeping. Beyond the carpet and the colors, I won't be crying when I finally replace the plastic-laminated cupboards, plywood partitions, and decaying light fixtures. So, lots of luck to you with whatever project you choose, and I can't wait to see your ideas!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 AM   #9

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Welcome!

I am also new here and I don't agree that most here are Purists. I was also enamored by the CCD interior. In fact, you will discover there are many here who like the modern look to some degree or another. Some are even in the process of doing their own versions of the CCD interiors.

Good luck on your hunt.

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think you will find a great mix of folks here. Some like things original, some like modern and some really unique - ie Ralph Laurens trailers, SW styles, ultra modern, space themes etc. So enjoy your trailer and let us know what your doing.

In my case, I'm working on a 1958 which will be (what I think) a nice mix of old and new. I should end up with a cool vintage trailer with modern mechanics

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
The fashion police are everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
.... I notice that very few feel that way about the dark fake wood, orange countertops, and green shag carpets of the 70s! ....
Hey! Just wanted to point out that 70's anything is now the height of fashion. Orange and big ugly flowers are BACK as well as shag, bell bottoms and cheap insense. That said - anyone who wants out throw away orange shag Argosy carpet can have it - just bring a hazmat suit when you come to pick it up!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

"Please Allow me to Introduce Myself "
Aluminator, are you a man of wealth and taste? Do you have sympathy for the devil, or was that just a coincidence? Nick
Old 05-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste

Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I’ll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Vintage music for vintage trailers...
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Welcome to the forum. We have a very beige '68, so if we stayed purist we would feel like we were in an institutional AS, or the beige may put us in the institution. The great thing about this forum is that people are sharing their differing journeys as they restore, or create a whole new look. Check out the recent Airstream Life, the southwestern trailer is far from keeping things beige.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
......I want to go ultra modern. I know most here are purists so I am worried now that I am out of the closet that I will be shunned from the airstream community.
"We want to go Ultra Nautical!

Welcome to the forum - as you will find out quick - when you acquire your new/old baby - it will be yours! not ours - so you go as far as your money will take you and along your journeys if you are tosing anything - just remember your new friends here

Too many forget that some here are looking to actually piece their finds together bit by bit - just so they are functional - others are your purist and have the patience of jobe - waiting for that perfect part they have been missing for years - but we all have one thing in common we are all clothed in the same sheet - sheets of aluminum that is

So only one word of caution - if you are going radical and will not be using the interior of what ever model you find - give it a bit of respect and remove it gently - put the pieces on the market and get yourself either a few bucks or some serious Karma for your A/S wears.

Good luck with your hunt.

We are doing a Nautical Hybrid to a 1961 Overlander {Ole' 61}- we also own a 1969 Globe Trotter {MoonBeam} that we have remained 93% pure - except (new waterheater, water pump, regulator and toilet - but the toilet is the same model just 35 years newer)
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

stops coughing from the dust of the welcome waggon

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Go for it! I would prefer to see someone take a trailer, make it useful and use it than to see it wasting away in some field. Good luck to you in your adventure.
Finding the trailer is half the battle. There are 2,000,000 people in the area where I live and in the main paper where people list their stuff for sale I am lucky to find more than 2 Airstreams listed. I find most of them to be from the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
"Please Allow me to Introduce Myself "
Aluminator, are you a man of wealth and taste? Do you have sympathy for the devil, or was that just a coincidence? Nick
I would like to think of myself a man of "wealth and taste", but my wife would disagree. She is seldom wrong (it has taken me 12 years to figure that out).
I typed it into the Title and then remembered the song (SFD) as I was typing the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I think you will find a great mix of folks here. Some like things original, some like modern and some really unique - ie Ralph Laurens trailers, SW styles, ultra modern, space themes etc. So enjoy your trailer and let us know what your doing.

In my case, I'm working on a 1958 which will be (what I think) a nice mix of old and new. I should end up with a cool vintage trailer with modern mechanics

Ken
http://about.polo.com/vintage/airstream/util.asp

I saw the Ralph Lauren trailers and liked the utility/surplus themed one. It has some really great ideas and I like the combination of wood and metal. I thought the flag looks really cool but thought the owner might have a hard time opening the end tables because the bed is in the way.

Are modern-retro or retro-modern types of design ?

I am not into the floral country prints of the interiors of the 80's so I am looking at laminates for the interior walls and countertops and pergo flooring.

I really like this forum - the community is really great and there is so much information here. I love the links to your sites and the before/after images of your Airstreams.

I will be keeping low for awhile lurking through the forums untill i find my dream.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Too many forget that some here are looking to actually piece their finds together bit by bit - just so they are functional - others are your purist and have the patience of jobe - waiting for that perfect part they have been missing for years - but we all have one thing in common we are all clothed in the same sheet - sheets of aluminum that is

So only one word of caution - if you are going radical and will not be using the interior of what ever model you find - give it a bit of respect and remove it gently - put the pieces on the market and get yourself either a few bucks or some serious Karma for your A/S wears.
ok I will certainly keep that in mind.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
What size trailer are you looking for? There is a 1980 20 footer for sale in Pasco WA. Be prepared to drive to find your dream.... we drove to So CAl for a look and then bought in Boise.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Finding the trailer is half the battle. There are 2,000,000 people in the area where I live and in the main paper where people list their stuff for sale I am lucky to find more than 2 Airstreams listed. I find most of them to be from the 70's.
Keep your eye on the Airstream.com Classifieds - they have a lot of 80's models also try RVonline.com they had a wack of them but I think most have been sold now but it does not hurt to look.

There was a cool one I think a Safari from the 60's in Salmon Arm - that is not too far from you - keeping in mind that people travel up to 3000 miles to get their "find".

Also get a collection of Airstream park sites and WBCCI unit sites - they sometimes list 80's models.

There is one for sale way over here in Ontario - they want around $18k CAN for it - too much - but you could probably work them down a bit - they have a suburban 1500 to go with it. They have now retired and do not use her anymore - we were at one time interested in the Burb - but he would not let them go separate - so we walked - then he changed his mind - but we had already had our eye on our 99 Yukon by then. I will try and find the picture I took - only outside - did have a quick look inside the trailer - windows double pane and need work - seals gone and have water inside - easy fix I hear.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote