Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Pictures Posting Sideways

Good Morning,

Does anyone have advice on how to get pictures to post right side up in the Classifieds section? I have posted my Airstream for sale and am not able to get the pictures to post right side up.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
It seems to be kind of random... It just happened to a picture I posted in the "Best Portable Grill" thread...
Ask a moderator? I know they are installing some new features/software to the site. It is probably a result of this.
BB
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
Rotate them first, save each in their correct position, then upload these newly saved images. There are many image editors available that rotate, some are free or nearly so, e.g. IrfanView, Photoshop Express. Some already-on-board apps for iOS or Android devices have editing features, among them the rotation tool you need, and also a cropping tool, and brightener/sharpener/etc/etc. Going forward, you may also want to always hold your camera so that no rotation corrections will ever be needed.
rsjmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Make sure to reduce the size of your photos to 1 megabyte or less. Then they will post as you see them on your computer.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are using an Apple product and sending the pictures from it that may e the problem. For some unexplained reason this is a known problem when using Apple.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
Some details: If OP or anyone interested is using an iOS device e.g. iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads then the recommended solution is always take photos with the Home button at bottom/down, especially if taking photos that will be be sent/shared to a non-iOS site, like this forum, or if to be sent by e.g. email to a non-iOS device. iOS devices are quite accurate at correctly determining which way is "up" no matter how actually held in the hands, so these devices will display all photos correctly (i.e. up is always up) even though the actual saved photo is in any one of the other three possible orientations: Home at left, Home at right, Home at top. Try this yourself if you have an iOS device...take the same photo 4 times but rotate your device 90 degrees before each. All 4 will display on your device correctly, i.e. up remains up in all four photos despite that you sequentially rotated the camera device 90 degrees before taking each photo. Now, Email these 4 photos to yourself and, using a non-iOS device e.g. a Windows computer, see that each of the 4 photos was actually saved by your iOS device in *each* of those 4 different/sequential orientations you changed to when you took them. So, Unless you just want/like to use a rotating-image-editing tool (and these are very handy), keep that Home button at the bottom when taking to-be-shared photos and you'll avoid ever posting photos that appear wrong, i.e. sideways or upsidedown, once they've been posted.
rsjmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
This quote is from Windows XP, don't know if it's handled any better on later releases:
Quote:
Some camera manufacturers set the JPEG EXIF Orientation flag based on an orientation sensor built into the camera. This image attribute is currently not supported by Windows Explorer or the imaging applications that ship with Windows.
Where it says "some" that should read "all", including all smart phones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchan...ge_file_format

Bottom line: it's not Apple or iOS that's messing up, it's the forum software.

If you have an image editing program you can usually force the orientation by rotating the image there and re-saving it.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Make sure to reduce the size of your photos to 1 megabyte or less. Then they will post as you see them on your computer.
Reducing the size of the photo works every time for me, posting from my IPad.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
^ and that's because your image editing software re-saved the photo in the "correct" orientation.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Chattanooga , Tennessee
Posting Photos Correct Orientation

What I found that works with IOS devices is this. Instead of dragging the photo to your desk top before uploading, or uploading directly form your photos album, use "export" to move the correctly oriented photo to your desktop, then upload from that location. Don't know why this worked and other solutions didn't. Oh, and the phone was oriented upright when the photos were taken.
RWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Its the file size, you need to post them at a lower resolution and be able to view the image first on your phone or computer in the correct orientation before you upload/post them.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I have learned taking pix with iPhone/pad in landscape(sideways) mode is the only way for me to post upright pix, on many forums.
I have to resize everything to post anyway, resizing (lower resolution) won't keep a portrait upright @ posting
I have tried rotation on portrait(upright) pix but I think it is in the forums resizing software that alters everything to a certain shape (landscape) and returns it sideways.
Cropping may help here, I haven't experimented with the theory of cropping a portrait pix to landscape sizing
Old 06-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I took a picture with the I-phone in every orientation.
Let's see what shows up.
I'm taking the photos from the camera to "Photos" then dragging them to the "desktop".
From my desktop I'm using the "attachment" option in advanced. (the paperclip)
I realize I'm not in the classified section, but I also didn't use any resizing such as "Preview" and all four oriented right side up, even when I held the camera upside down. They all downloaded right side up into "photos". (So Desktop didn't "fix" anything)
I'd feel better if the two where I held the camera upside down remained upside down. I have nothing to add.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	371000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	371001  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	371002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	371003  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
As someone who only uses apps and a smart phone that looks like a ride on the waywaybackmachine
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote