Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Carry a Gun, Mister~~
Own and carry a gun while traveling 55 56.70%
Do not carry a gun 22 22.68%
Thinking about carrying a gun 9 9.28%
No one should be allowed to carry a gun 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 12:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Packing a Gun, Mister~

Wondered if anyone has done research on the issue of, guns in A/S while traveling?

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 01-29-2003, 12:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to xtrm69 Send a message via Yahoo to xtrm69
Thumbs up

HI:

I would say yes, to carrying a firearm with you as you travel. Living in Alaska, that is a necessity at times in the backwoods and roads in the outback up here.
Most of the time you will not even need it, but when the time comes when you do need it for saftey reason, you will be glad you brought one with you.
As for down south in the lower 48, I would probably bring one as well.
Which brings up a question to the lower 48er's:
Do you have any stories about unsavory characters at trailer parks or on the road??
Old 01-29-2003, 12:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Excellent point

Thanks for sharing that about your area. I can see where it would be of great value while 'outbacking it'~!
I, also, would like to hear about the lower 48's as well.
I know that the laws of the land vary from state to state.
Wonder how one would get around this issue?
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 01-29-2003, 12:49 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to xtrm69 Send a message via Yahoo to xtrm69
I would think it would be no problem, if your not a felon, and you have the proper licences and registared the firearm. A trigger lock for the firearm would be a plus also. And packed away in a locked gun case.
You never know when you get the hankering for the taste of fresh rabbit or grouse. LOL. No roadkill for me please.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:56 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Carrying weapons laws and info

For a searchable database on individual state gun laws, message board, news releases and all kinds of information on concealed weapons, transportation of firearms laws, penalties for infractions etc., go to: http://www.packing.org

I myself have a concealed weapon permit and would never leave home without my protection. Sleeping at the far end of a little box with one door out at the front is not my idea of a good way to spend the night.

I have never had problems with anyone at a campground or rest area, however have had someone try to force their way into my motel room a couple of times. So the bad guys are out there, a person just has to hope that their path never crosses with the real crazies, but just in case, be prepared!

Before I travel to another state, I log on to packing.org, check and print the states gun laws. Then carry them with me. I can't imagine having a problem with a gun in the trailer, unless of course you are talking Canada or Mexico and maybe New York, then if you are caught, Katie bar the door, literally. This is the main reason that I have never RV'd in Canada.

When in a state that doesn't recognize my permit and carrying in my tow vehicle, I lock my firearm up in one of those small, heavy, fireproof boxes.

I place this behind the consol, where at least in a minute (probably too long) or so I could have it out. I have never been asked, but would not admit to having the weapon if stopped. Just take my chances.

Am going to obtain a Florida non-resident permit as it is recognized in almost all states that have on-demand carry laws.

Bruce
Old 01-29-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
As a Montana boy, we never leave home without it. Have never needed one other than for local recreation. My motto is "always be prepared" Better to need and have than need and not have.

mtbob

Life Member NRA
Old 01-29-2003, 11:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

bob

Well said Bob, my sentiments exactly.

Bruce
Old 01-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Smile Search and seizure

Regardless of local or state laws it is wise to remember that anything that is locked and beyond your reach or grasp can not be legally searched without a warrant or your consent. Obviously, this does not apply in Mexico or Canada since they do not have constitutional protection against unreasonable search and seizure. In the US the only problem might be airports and military bases where they might demand entry and search or deny you entrance. So, if you are in an area where it is against the law to carry, or even possess a firearm make certain, if you have a firearm with you, to keep it locked in a container stored away from your immediate reach, such as the locked trunk of your car, or your locked trailer. Obviously, if you are asked for permission, and you are in violation of the local law, do not give it, nor make any statement - maintain your right to remain silent. If you tell an officer that you have a gun, but do not give him permission to search for it (in locked comparments) then he will have probable cause to obtain a search warrant and will impound your vehicle and trailer. So, be quiet, be polite, but do not consent to a search. I'm saying this as a retired police officer. One last note - US Customs agents require no search warrant. There is no constitutional protection while entering or exiting the country!
Old 01-29-2003, 03:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

question for forrest

Forrest, how should a person handle it when he comes upon a drug checkpoint and they want to search your vehicle? I think that if you refuse that a search warrant can be obtained. If this is the case, and while searching for drugs they find a firearm, can they charge you with an applicable firearms violation?

I do know that the Supreme Court fairly recently restricted the use of drug check points, so the chance of a search happening is not as great as it used to be. But still, what if?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 01-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
wisconsin

here in wisconsin we don't have cc yet, but my .45 goes with me when we travel. encased of course.

was thinking about getting a stainless mossburg 12 ga. just for the trailer. won't have to worry about it rusting over long periods of time.

plus, it would be nice and shiney silver, just like my trailer.

john
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Cool Don't carry a gun!

I've never felt the need to carry a firearm.

But I respect those who do, as this is a free country!

John
Old 01-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
I'm not a hunter and haven't thought of taking a gun in our Airstream. But this thread reminds of the movie <Bowling for Columbine>. Has anyone seen it? Does anyone have stories of times they've used guns in an Airstream?
Doug
Old 01-29-2003, 07:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

gun in a/s

my father worked as a linemen so he had to travel where the work was,as such in the summer months of my child hood i traveled with him and my mother. we stayed in several trailer parks and camp ground around the united states and have met alot of people in my life time and can say that i have had to neve had a use for a gun thank god but alwas did carry one.
the only time we had trouble was in k.s. the police pulled us over for a tail light being out then ask about any firearms. we told the truth and then they let us go because the guns were out of reach and the door to the trailer was locked.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

gun totein

I am not a hunter However I believe in owning and possesing firearms and take them with me whenever i go camping for protection and recreation. the second ammendment gives us all that right. There are some real sickoes out there unfortunately. I have never had to use any of my firearms to protect myself or my family thank God for that However, I would not hesitate to use them if i had to. I have a bumper sticker on my truck that simply states ( GUNS STOP CRIME).
Old 01-30-2003, 09:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Unhappy Drug checkpoints

Colorado doesn't run drug checkpoints as far as I know. But what about other states? This is why it is important to know what the firearm laws are in the area you're traveling in. If you're legal with the firearm law then cooperation might be the best way to go, but then it's up to you to decide whether such a search is reasonable or a violation of your rights. The purpose of our constitutional protection against warrantless searches isn't to protect the guilty - it's to protect your right to privacy. What is private in your life is your decision, not the government's. The way I understand drug checkpoints is that the authorities still need your permission to search, or alternatively during their conversation with you statements are made that give them probable cause to believe drugs are present. If a search is made for drugs, but illegal weapons are found they will still be confiscated and an arrest most likely made. A court may later conclude that the search went too far and throw the case out, but who wants to go through that!

I hope that I haven't given the impression that there is a simple way to handle firearms while traveling because it can get complex. But most times people hang themselves. You'd be amazed at the number of drug couriers in airports who voluntarily talk to a police officer and then consent to a search resulting in their arrest. An officer approaches and makes an introduction such as, "Hello, I'm a police officer. Do you mind stopping for a moment and talking to me?" He is asking for you to open the door. The moment you give permission the door opens and his job, if he suspects (perhaps because you fit a profile) you have contraband, is to talk you into voluntarily opening the door wider and wider until you have consented to a search. Most people are so intimidated by authority that they are unable to say "No, I don't want to talk to you. No, I don't want to be detained. No, I don't want to be searched." We have all been brought up to believe that if you have nothing to hide then why say "no". We are all under the impression that if someone says "no" to the police then they are hiding something, and so we say "yes" thinking that will make us appear innocent. But the police officer has already made up his mind about wanting to question you and search for any of a number of reasons and knows that the guilty will most often say "yes." Be polite and patient, but it's your constitutional right to say "no."
Old 01-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

drug check points - Forrest

Very, very good post Forrest! Some good points well made from someone who knows. You sound like you were probably a good police officer. Good for you that you are retired, but too bad for us. We need more good officers.

Thank you,

Bruce
Old 01-30-2003, 05:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
TN. has reciprocity with 9 other states for carry permits. When they started the carry law 5 or 6 years ago, they increased the fine for carrying a weapon for the purpose of going armed without a permit. A minimum 4 hour classroom and 4 hr. range time plus a $115 fee allows a TN. resident to carry (doesn't have to be concealed but it is recommended) for 4 years. Renewal is $50 for 4 more years with no additional range time. It is definately cheaper than absorbing a fine.

As an FBI/NRA certified Police Firearms Instructor from a state agency I have found in most cases in TN. that as long as the weapon is not in sight, is placed in a lockbox unloaded not within easy reach (rules out glove compartment) and/or in the trunk, you are OK. Traveling through MASS. or NY City doing this will lead you straight to jail. CA. will arrest even off duty police officers from another state if they are carrying and they found out. For this reason, I have no desire to travel to or through any of these states armed or not. Doing something stupid is reason for an officer to ask questions for his own safety so be well aware.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 01-31-2003, 09:04 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

You could be disarmed and the gun used on you.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'm trained in gun retention techniques and instruct in those techniques. When going armed, as well as at other times, I am aware of my surroundings. If you think you can take it from me, bring it on!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 01-31-2003, 10:16 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Craig:

You are an expert at this stuff. How many people are. I would say not many.

What I stated is a fact.

Gord
Closed Thread