Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Packable Canoes / Kayak's

We have or had the following packable canoes or kayak's and can recommend any of the following.Klepper , Folbot and Pakboats.
Each has there Pros and cons. Price,weight ,material,ease of assemble,etc.
The assembly takes about 15-20 minutes.They come in a duffel bag and have aluminum shock corded frames w/a composite rib.Except Klepper which has some models with wood rod/frame construction.
Consider your paddle skills and the type of water you would be in. Try to test paddle one if possible.
There are other brands. Good luck with you search.
P.S. Another plus is we save lot's of gas with it in the trunk ,while we drive out west and back.
knunut
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Packable Canoe/Kayak Link Info.

I'm Sorry I Forgot to leave this info on the original post.!!
www.pakboats.com
www.folbot.com
www.klepperwest.com

Thank's knunut
Old 12-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another website...

Here is link to Feathercraft site.. Also makers of high-end folding Kayaks...

http://www.foldingkayak.com/kayaks.htm

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Packable Canoes

You may also want to check out Ally folding canoes. I believe they are from Norway. I know people who have used them in Alaska with float planes. These are open canoes with the same efficient profile of a fiberglass canoe only with a frame and skin. They can carry alot of gear.

Another option is SOAR Inflatable canoes (www.soar1.com). These are more forgiving in rough water but not as efficient paddling on calm or flat water. They can be rigged for either as self bailing for white water or closed up for flat water. I have run up to class 3 water, both solo and tandem in mine. I also took it on the plane to Baja and snorkled out of it. Very stable to climb in and out of from the water. Large cargo capacity but can be pushed around in the wind more than a canoe with a sleeker profile.

Either version will pack up for carrying in an Airstream or your tow vehicle.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK
You may also want to check out Ally folding canoes. I believe they are from Norway. I know people who have used them in Alaska with float planes. These are open canoes with the same efficient profile of a fiberglass canoe only with a frame and skin. They can carry alot of gear.

Another option is SOAR Inflatable canoes (www.soar1.com). These are more forgiving in rough water but not as efficient paddling on calm or flat water. They can be rigged for either as self bailing for white water or closed up for flat water. I have run up to class 3 water, both solo and tandem in mine. I also took it on the plane to Baja and snorkled out of it. Very stable to climb in and out of from the water. Large cargo capacity but can be pushed around in the wind more than a canoe with a sleeker profile.

Either version will pack up for carrying in an Airstream or your tow vehicle.
Along the same line, one should not forget there are also an array of rafts and catarafts. Unless you'd opt for the largest sizes (16-18' for example), I would think they'd be as packable, and often as portable as kayaks and canoes, but with the possibility of taking more passengers and/or gear onboard.

Whatever choice one makes, there's no reason to leave your boat behind. Just remember, your Airstream won't float, and in case of emergency you should always carry a Personal Flotation Device!

John
Old 12-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Folboat owner

I have owned 2 Folboats, A Greenland II and an Aleut (and I still own the Aleut). I have been very happy with both boats. I had a single-paddler kit in the Greenland II, but when I was solo, it drew so little water that I blew all over the place. The G II also took a lot more time to assemble than the Aleut.

I would like to have one of their new models, but at 74, I'll just stick with the Aleut. It is not a fast boat, but I have upgraded it over time with the new seat and the new tubular frames and it still does quite well.

The boat rides in the back of my pickup under the rolling cover, so I never fully pack the boat. I have the 2-bag option. I fold the skin and stuff everything else in the bags. That leaves room in the bags for my life vest and other gear.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Klepper Owner

Hi!
I have two Klepper Classics for our family of 4. Bought the first one in 1988, and the 2nd in 1994 as the family grew. They were expensive to buy (like my Airstream...), but I have nothing but good things to say about these boats. Very high quality - we will pass them on to the kids when it comes to that.

In 1988 there were not so many foldable boats available - we selected the Kleppers based mostlly on safety margin (a stock Klepper was sailed solo across the Atlantic, they went with Perry to the Pole, and are used in military trim by special forces troops), then on quality, portability, and support (spare parts are still available for these, but have never needed them). Turned out to be a purchase where the price didn't matter so much in the long run, we have been so pleased with them.

I'm not saying the other boats on the market are not good also - just sharing my experience with the Kleppers. If I had to replace them today I would trade them off against others now on the market, but it would take a really good alternative to get me out of the Kleppers, based on experience!

Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Which folding kayak in your opinion most closely equals a hard shell kayak in performance? I am looking for something to pack away but have a fear of being very disappointed going from our hard shell sea kayaks to a folding or inflatable.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Pakable sea kayak

Although we aren't familiar with all of the new foldables that are out now, in our experience we felt the Feathercraft seemed to be very fast, streamlined kayaks. They make a very narrow, high performance model for solo paddling. I believe it is the Khatsolano (or spelled something like that). We've only test paddled the tandem unit and it was very fast, very comfortable seats. They are just as expensive as Klepper and I understand take much longer to put together. You can't really compare foldables to hard shell due to the flexing of the hull. But some are more high performance than others. I would recommend you test paddle them first before purchasing one to see what you like. They all handle differently. We went with Klepper because it didn't take long to put together. If you dislike taking it apart and together, you won't use it as much. We read the book by Ralph Diaz that provides alot of information on foldables, that may help you decide.
knunut@att.net
Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Davydd -- I haven't sea kayaked much in this decade. The general opinion "back when" was that Folboats were beamy compared to the class and less efficient to propel.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Sea Eagle

A friend of mine has a SeaEagle and loves it. Many models.

SeaEagle.com - Inflatable Kayaks and Boats

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
What are the pros and cons of using a canoe v Kayak

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Ogden , Utah
Hello Lipets:
First, there are different kinds of canoes, and kayaks. Most of the foldable kayaks are what are called 'sea kayaks', which are longer and have a hull designed for linear stability and efficiency over long distances. There are also kayaks for river running and white water, which are designed for quickly changing direction, back paddling, etc.

My experience is with sea kayaks (Klepper foldables) and a canoe. My view of the pros and cons:

Canoes: can cost less, carry more, be more durable. The cons are that they sit higher in the water (and can therefore catch the wind, making it harder to keep on course), and usually have to be carried on top of the car or truck.

Foldable Sea Kayaks: sit very low in the water (and therefore less affected by wind), can have a rudder (making them easier to steer, and trim out differences in paddling technique in a 2-seater), can be carried inside the vehicle, can be stored more easily. The cons are they can cost more, require you to put them together/apart to use them.

Of course you can also get rigid kayaks, which then have a lot of the same attributes as a rigid canoe, for storing and transporting. There is a whole other discussion of rigid vs. foldable boats.

Either a canoe or a kayak is a blast (IMO) - it really depends on the type of water you are going to use it on, what it takes to transport it to the water, and how much you are going to spend.

Bob
Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #14
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I spend a lot of time on the water in summer sailing so I have trouble looking at water and not being on it.

If I went to an area that had a lake or river, it woulld be nice to get out there and scout it out.

Which is easier to paddle, which may be easier on your back and curled up legs etc?

Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Ogden , Utah
There is a lot of personal preference here, but I've enjoyed kayaking more than canoeing. The double bladed paddle used in kayaking seems less tiring to me, and if you use a rudder it makes it easy to stay on course. The seating position in the kayak is easier for me, but again a preference issue. Most of my water time is in the Rocky Mountains, and the lakes are windy - the kayak's low profile really makes a difference in these conditions.

And, I have a 2-piece sail for my Klepper (check out their web site). I'm no good at sailing, but I have a great time doing it!

Bob
Old 12-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I spend a lot of time on the water in summer sailing so I have trouble looking at water and not being on it.

If I went to an area that had a lake or river, it woulld be nice to get out there and scout it out.

Which is easier to paddle, which may be easier on your back and curled up legs etc?
I use open sit-on top kayaks, there are pros and cons to those vs enclosed cockpit. That's another discussion.

For a single paddler, I much prefer a kayak. They are much more maneuverable, I like the independance of paddling at my own speed and direction, vs paddling a canoe with someone else. For these same reasons, I prefer single over tandom kayaks. Yes, a canoe can be paddled solo.

Kayaks do better in windy conditions. For example:
We had a group paddling canoes on the Colorado river when we encountered high winds. We began having difficulties, one canoe was blown over when the wind caught the bottom surface of the canoe as it crested a wind wave. As a result of the wind, the group was scattered. My son had the only kayak in the group. He was able to paddle against the wind, as well as crossways to it with little effort as he became our messenger to the different groups of paddlers. As a result, we were able to make a plan where we wouldn't have otherwise due to the dangerous conditions.

I'm not saying that I dislike canoes at all, I like both - they're just different.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #17
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Fly fishing from a Kayak

Wow, I didn't know these things existed until I stumbled across this thread. I have an old 17' fiberglass canoe I haul around the eastern states, and would love to replace it with a foldable. Love to fly fish from my canoe. When I am on a lake, and the wind picks up, I get blown all over. I have always wondered what fly fishing would be like in a kayak, since they seem to do better in the wind . Any you kayakers out there fly fish?
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Ogden , Utah
Hi
I often fly fish from my Klepper foldable kayak. I rigged up a loop towards the bow, and a velcro strap by the cockpit, so I can carry my flyrod in easy reach, but out of the way for paddling. Trout like to cruise the shore, especially in areas around an inlet, so you can quietly approach them from a direction they are not really looking at. One of my favorite ways to fly fish anymore.

One time I hooked a large Lake Trout - not sure how big because I didn't land it. For a few minutes I could have used someone else to paddle, since it was powerful enough to turn my boat. I wouldn't mind having that happen again.

I also like to paddle along the shore, and if I find a likely spot I beach the kayak and fish from the shore.

Good fishing...
Bob
Old 02-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I haven't flyfished in years, but one of my kayaks is set up with rod holders that I use on lakes or in the ocean. I use these holders for trolling, or simply to carry my fishing rod. This particular model of kayak is reportedly used by some fishermen to stand up on as they fish. I haven't tried it, and wouldn't unless I was willing to go swimming, however it has a wide beam and I don't doubt that you could stand on it.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #20
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I decided to get a canoe, found this one at great deal it's kevlar, 16'

It was 2600, reduced to 1500, they said last season was bad for them, it had been on display has a few gel coat scratches you can have it for 700, I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough.

I'm picking it up next week on my way to Sarasota.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canoe.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	32184