Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #101
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
-- snip -- many states have very convoluted laws -- snip -- Michigan is one of those states -- snip -- have you considered rubber bullets? -- snip --
Most of the methods we have discussed are for products available from local sources, but the point that state laws are variable is quite valid and we also have differences between American and Canadian law.

Not interested in rubber bullets. Probably won't investigate a rubber hose either.,

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Boy have I found the flashlight for us . A police stun gun flashlight made by stun r us. Cost is $ 22.00 on Amazon, and has a 75 million heart stoppin volts. A Stun-gun that is disguised as a flashlight. The flashlight has three modes low, high, and strobe. Comes with a rechargeable battery. The business end is wicked sounding and would scare off most ''bears'' shall we say. Safe travels everyone.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:53 PM   #103
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Update

Here in CA, REI sells the Counter Attack Bear Spray in 8 & 10 OZ containers with a 2% dose.

Still have to check on what pepper spray can be purchased locally.

Stay safe. Pat
Old 04-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I bought two Stun r us flashlights for truck and trailer. Not much impresses me , but I'm really afraid to try it on my finger. Definitely not a toy.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #105
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I bought two Stun r us flashlights for truck and trailer. Not much impresses me , but I'm really afraid to try it on my finger. Definitely not a toy.
How logistically do you store these flashlights? I can imagine that just hanging them beside the door in a holster bears some danger for freak accidents. But in case of an emergency, you would not have to search for them either. This is where I see the main issue. How to get to them when you need 'em?
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #106
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"Back in the day", I had 2 "marble sack" filled with 1/2" ball bearings when I rode motorcycles.. Rumor is if you fling the open contents in a rearward direction they bounce up... Oh.. About windshield height.. But that was just told to me...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That was an optional method to effectively persuade tailgaters to back off. However small gravel was harder to prove it came from me.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:28 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
A weapon is a tool, in the right hands it can have awesome results; however, in the wrong hands can be used against you. Take training, then take it it again, then you will need to practice at least monthly. Concealment and security of weapon go hand in hand. There is a Gunsite academy in Paulden, Az, where many from around the country bring their RV, stay at their RV park and take either a one day , three day, or week long course. A weapon is a commitment, knowing what and when to use it, is as important as to owning one. If you have children or guests in your Airstream, please use much caution in the ownership and security of the weapon. Could be a presentation at the next Alumipoloza.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #109
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
CWF, Switz - Seems like the type of behavior that promotes road rage and is a miss on the intent of this thread.

Luigi - Lethal weapons are not the intent of this thread. However, your point on training is quite valid as the use of non-lethal force requires skill. Skill requires practice. It is amazing how fast an attacker can move and how much time is lost in an unpracticed fumble.

Thank you for your input. Pat
Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
How logistically do you store these flashlights? I can imagine that just hanging them beside the door in a holster bears some danger for freak accidents. But in case of an emergency, you would not have to search for them either. This is where I see the main issue. How to get to them when you need 'em?
One goes in the truck's door pocket, the other under the pillow. There's a safety switch on the end to activate the business end. It comes with a belt holster for day time carrying. Treat this flashlight with respect. No thief, or rapeist would suspect a flashlight could do so much harm... thus the element of surprise.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Read this on the net, and keeping you informed. Stun guns are illegal in the states Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. And the following cities / counties Annapolis MD, Baltimore MD, Crawford County ID, Washington D.C., Philadelphia Pa. It's getting harder to legally protect ourselves in these states. Be safe out there
Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #112
Rivet Master

I just ordered 2 of these stun gun/flashlights....think they may come in handy on camping trips! Just wondering how you guys who already own them will rate them...are they as good as you expected?
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
I just ordered 2 of these stun gun/flashlights....think they may come in handy on camping trips! Just wondering how you guys who already own them will rate them...are they as good as you expected?
This flashlight will scare any threatening animal away, with a short burst of energy . The drawback is that you have to be close to the ''bear'' to be effective. Treat this with respect, and use it as a last resort...like a gun. You will not be disappointed. You can't beat the price for a flashlight...let alone both.