Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Yes jug is also a container. (sorry northern english) The stuff we have is in a spray bottle not a spray can. I have not looked lately, but I'm assuming it's still the same....

As you can see from the image it hard NOT to shoot it in the right direction and it's "Lemon Scented" (very important)......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s0433874_sc7.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	259722  
Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I didn't read every post.

As to flashlights, I have two of these https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ix-flashlight/ and it's ridiculously bright. Absolutely blinding in the night if you hit someone in the face with it, but it's small.

Another funny thing about this flashlight, I'm still on my first surefire battery from over two years ago. I might should change it.

Pepper spray is your next best friend. Get a "stream" version, and you can nail someone in the face from about 25 feet. and all it takes is a small blast, literally like a half second burst and it's over. Even if you hit them in the chest, that stuff hits the air and it's lights out on the vision. But buy a tester too, or a trainer as they call it.

I've been sprayed twice, and trust me, it sucks badly. The next three showers are very interesting too.

Just a wif of the stuff is awful.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I didn't read every post.

As to flashlights, I have two of these https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ix-flashlight/ and it's ridiculously bright. Absolutely blinding in the night if you hit someone in the face with it, but it's small.

Another funny thing about this flashlight, I'm still on my first surefire battery from over two years ago. I might should change it.

Pepper spray is your next best friend. Get a "stream" version, and you can nail someone in the face from about 25 feet. and all it takes is a small blast, literally like a half second burst and it's over. Even if you hit them in the chest, that stuff hits the air and it's lights out on the vision. But buy a tester too, or a trainer as they call it.

I've been sprayed twice, and trust me, it sucks badly. The next three showers are very interesting too.

Just a wif of the stuff is awful.
Nice looking flashlight. To bad they don't ship to Canada!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #64
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Yes jug is also a container. (sorry northern english) The stuff we have is in a spray bottle not a spray can. I have not looked lately, but I'm assuming it's still the same....

As you can see from the image it hard NOT to shoot it in the right direction and it's "Lemon Scented" (very important)......
Got it - no wonder we all struggle to communicate. That explains the two position head description you identified. Never seen that packaging. Lever trigger would make it easier to aim and would have saved Pro from that face wash. Are there constraints on aerosol packaging in Canada? Seems odd there would be different packaging specifications unless there was a customer or regulatory driver. But maybe we have it as an option and my oven cleaning experience is just challenged. Thanks - clean safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
I ordered mine on amazon.com
Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I ordered mine on amazon.com
Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #67
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Never seen that packaging. Lever trigger would make it easier to aim and would have saved Pro from that face wash. Are there constraints on aerosol packaging in Canada? Seems odd there would be different packaging specifications unless there was a customer or regulatory driver.
Not constraints, but broad consumer preference for containers that are easier to recycle. It probably started with CFCs years ago, but many of us just stopped buying aerosols if there was any other choice, and usually there was.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
That light above has 900 lumens max. You can get a bicycle headlight up to 2,000 lumens. I saw one with a remote battery pack at 7,500 lumens. I bike commute in the dark in the am about 20 miles, my light is 650 lumens, a small handheld and is very bright.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #69
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
What about proper self defense training, perhaps taking a class? I think that the element of surprise and proper behavior in a tricky situation cannot be underestimated. We should all think about what could happen and how we would/could react. Then the question is how much can someone prepare or even train for such a situation. Honestly, I'd rather be fit, have self confidence, and a plan than scramble for the colt hidden somewhere in the closet. There might be certain strategies/scenarios one could imagine and a predetermined plan how to behave and deal with these situations. De-escalation comes to mind and then a surprise attack to gain the upper hand.

This said, in >50K miles and lots of tent camping, the Westfalia years, and 25K on the road with our airstream, we never felt treatened or unsafe in this country. Awareness of the surroundings, avoidance of conflicts, defensive driving, etc. are probably all part of this. Of course, there is always the element of luck. I've heard of more people who had an unlucky experience with their weapon (gun, knife for example when cleaning, playing, posing) than being overrun by some wacko when traveling in their trailer/RV.
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:

I purchased four of the 1,000 Lumins on Amazon. I would think they would ship to Canada. I keep mine on high, use one when I take the dogs out at night and early morning, battery only lasts about two weeks. SO, I also ordered the rechargeable version. Also, have one mounted under an HK 40 cal I have and use it for night shooting at our Sportman's Club.

Love the lights, blinding and they also have a rapid blinking on off feature that is even tougher on the eyes.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Pki, in my "list of options", I forgot to mention my long hiking stick. It is helpful in discouraging a large aggressive dog...using the big business end as a club, or a sharp poke with the thinner end. Never tried it on a bear or 2 legged variety, tho. The bear might just eat it...then me...the 2 legged would probably take it away & use it on me. NOT LOL! The "little friend" will need to be a backup...in that case. (I have found I can shoot more effectively than I can do hand to hand combat.) But that's just me, as a little ol' white hair lady! LOL! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #72
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've seen a good 2 iron carried on the street, handle/shaft is longer than a wedge.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #73
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Pki, in my "list of options", I forgot to mention my long hiking stick. It is helpful in discouraging a large aggressive dog...using the big business end as a club, or a sharp poke with the thinner end. -- snip -- as a little ol' white hair lady! LOL! Evelyn.
As a little old white hared lady, you seem to have the advantage of surprise on your side. Not a bad approach. The hiking stick is quick to hand and that is another advantage. Wonder if a more substantial umbrella would be an advantage. Thanks for mentioning your walking stick.

Good physical condition as Kuff suggests, has got to be a good idea. We find the RV lifestyle great in improving condition and muscle tone. Washing dishes is more activity than using the dishwasher at home. The dogs get more and longer walks when we travel. Setup and take down is more activity than being a couch potato. Get out and do it - nice ring to that!

Spent some time looking at the Taser/tazer/stun gun options. The Taser is a brand that shoots a pair of probes. The stun gun type device is produced by several manufacturers and uses a pair of fixed electrodes. The Taser device is more expensive - $400-800. It also has some maintenance cost associated with storage and operation. Note the battery function. The stun gun can be as inexpensive as $20, but likely there is a case of you get what you pay. But, even the higher priced spread is not excessive when compared to a generator, quality hitch, or set of tires.

Still waiting on the request for info on the best Bear Spray solution - Counter Attack is my guess, but the word is not in yet. Kind of like the design of the home version of the Sabre Red pepper spray. Looks a lot like the Canadian spray bottle of oven cleaner discussed earlier. Easy to hand, I suspect.

And Pro suggested the use of a fire extinguisher. That is a great idea. The little one that comes on the trailer needs an upgrade to one with a bit more capacity, but the small one is very easy to handle. Too bad we don't still use the CO2 units. One of those would make a good club if you had the strength.

Keep those ideas coming. Appreciate your input and experience.

Travel safe - Pat
Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Non-lethal force

An article in the Sacramento Bee today indicates that tasers are unreliable. They achieve the result of incapacitating the intended target only 53% of the time, when used by trained law enforcement officers. Mental illness or drug use, among other factors, can render the shock delivered by the device ineffective.

This is the cite, although I don't know if I've pasted it correctly. [URL]http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/SacBee/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=MSB%2F2016%2F04%2F02&entity=A r00703&sk=6B4927B8[URL]

Police consider this as one in an escalating chain of weapons to be used to subdue a suspect. I would not feel comfortable using this as a standalone weapon for self defense, although I suppose, as with my earlier post on pocket sized containers of pepper spray, it is probably better than nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #75
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I suppose that with the Taser product, you could miss the target or the subject could have clothing that was not penetrated by the probe. With the other designs the device is reusable for multiple hits. However, heavy clothing might well blunt the effect of a fixed probe device as well.

Would think the objective is to discourage the aggressor long enough to get away, so not sure the true measure is incapacitating the target. The police have a different objective and need a different outcome. Understand that the ability to get away might be impaired by our physical condition and the environment of the event. In those cases the objective would likely escalate to incapacitating the target.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 04-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #76
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Would think the objective is to discourage the aggressor long enough to get away, so not sure the true measure is incapacitating the target.
Incapacitation is the only way to be sure you can get away. The second rule of fighting is, if you get your opponent down at all, do whatever it takes to make sure he stays down— because if he can get back up before you're gone, you're in for a world of trouble.

For the curious, the first rule is, never hit someone with your fist if you can hit him with something harder. The third rule is, don't fight at all unless you're willing to get hurt, because even the winner is going to hurt.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #77
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Another one of my "non value" posts with humour.....

Wear this and dare someone to hit you.....a very nice shade of red if I'm honest.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Images

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Bold, I've heard the cliche ''I love them to death'', but never witness it at work Let Karma do the dirty work. Karma shows no mercy. I've seen it work...I'm sure we all have. Bad things seem to happen to bad people...so be good everyone. And the ones that escape Karma, they will be dealt with in the afterlife.
My takeaway from a recently viewed movie…

"Karma is justice without the satisfaction. But I don't believe in justice"

Interesting.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Indeed, bad things do happen to bad people...sometimes, however, it appears that bad things happen more frequently to GOOD people. Criminals are specifically a major causative factor in bad things done to good people,and these ammoral jerks always look for the weakest, most vulnerable folks to victimize.

My Mom always told me...".walk soft and carry a big stick...and use it if someone bothers you, but, don't be gentle...hit 'em where it hurts the most, then do it again till they leave you alone!"

My Mom was a sweet little 5 ft Irish lady, soft spoken and gentile....but, you did not want to "get her Irish Up!" I am replica of my Mom. She was my hero! Still is! Dady used to P... her off, jokingly, of course, because he said he loved to see those Blue Irish eyes flashing! Mom was Not amused.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have enjoyed reading this thread however I have yet to decide what is the best defensive weapon.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote