Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
No mail drop box at Wal-Mart

I just made an emergency run to Sioux Falls Wal-Mart east side to pick up some Red Yeast Rice tablets and mail a letter . . . and to my surprise the greeter said there isn't any place to mail a letter. I drove a loop around the parking lot to see if I could spot an outside mailbox and none.

I'm not sure why I was surprised. It looks like there's a shortage of USPS drop boxes on Sioux Falls east side. I drove up to 6th and Sycamore to the bank's drive up with a drop box.

Wal Mart did have the Red Yeast Rice though. All is well . . . another day in paradise!

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are fewer where I live, maybe this is why:
Reward offered after mail collection box stolen in north Phoenix

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I don't think I have ever seen a mailbox at a Wal-Mart now that you mention it.

If you check http://usps.whitepages.com/post_office under "Services", there is a dropdown menu titeled "What are you looking for?" You can search for Post Office locations or Collection Boxes by city or ZIP Code.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
But do they have wireless for customers? [removed annoying instruction to look for mailboxes alongside the pay phones...][not really]

Sign of the times I guess.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Anthrax Letters

Remember 9/11? Remember the Anthrax letters?

Our genius country decided to remove drop boxes left, right and center to FIX those problems. Yep. Inconvenience and outright punish the nice people who want to do legitimate business without a friggin' prayer of catching a bad guy.

Remember when the FBI actually CAUGHT people?

Of course the average person passes by 50 surveillance cameras in any given day... and if law enforcement collects all of the tapes from an area surrounding a crime scene, they will almost certainly find the criminals ON one of those tapes/hard drives.

Sorry - I'm ranting. We own a private mail receiving agency. They uprooted our outsidemailbox about a month after 9/11. Then people walked in and handed us their mail, which we tossed in a big canvas tote cart that the USPS had given us... and then it went right into the system the same way it did when we had the effen outside box. (We actually did get some new customers who'd walked or driven past but hadn't come inside before... so I shouldn't complain.) Oh... and about 13 months later they reinstalled the outside box to make it easier for the mailman to pick up! Oh... and the snotty remark about the FBI actually catching people? We had an ODD customer come in to rent a mailbox. We have cooperated with or alerted the FBI or 3 or 4 major criminals who've used our services. We knew something was off. We notified the FBI over a year before 9/11 and asked them to send an agent out to investigate. It was a "too low priority" tip. A week after the towers fell, they picked up the mail for Mohammed Atti, one of the hijackers who died in the attack. We, and over 2 dozen other businesses around the country spotted "something off" about these guys - one was a flight school who told the FBI that they had an obviously foreign student who wasn't interested in learning how to safely land a plane.

20/20 hindsight I suppose, but had they investigated thoroughly?

Paula
Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
There's a Target store around the corner from Wal-Mart but I didn't try that for the drop box. If Target didn't have a box I'd have gone way in the wrong direction. The grocery stores locally all have customer service counters where I can buy postage, have a letter sent registered, or just drop a letter in the slot.

I'm old enough to remember when there were mailboxes on neighborhood street corners and a gas station on every corner. Now we drive a mile for gas and pass five banks on the way. I live in the country on the edge of town and before I get to the first stop light, I've gone past three banks. Before I get to the second stop light, I've past two more banks.

I guess the money is in the banks.

Gary
Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have had pretty good luck with asking businesses to allow me to put a letter in their out going stack. Its worth asking.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
It was a "too low priority" tip. A week after the towers fell, they picked up the mail for Mohammed Atti, one of the hijackers who died in the attack. We, and over 2 dozen other businesses around the country spotted "something off" about these guys - one was a flight school who told the FBI that they had an obviously foreign student who wasn't interested in learning how to safely land a plane.

Wow! When I read that, I reached over and popped four rolaids at once...what a hair raiser!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Gary
I think you are not alone. The corner drop boxes have kinda disappeared over the last several years. I know it has disappeared from our corner store about a mile away.
Its a cost cutting measure by USPS.They dont have to pickup those boxes,less stops for the carriers= a shorter day=less wages paid out and no maintenance on those boxes.
Moving Forward. Things change, But not always for the better.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Less mail, less walking and more driving, fewer mailboxes. We used to get two deliveries at home in the '40's and I believe businesses got 3. In a strictly residential area, there were mailboxes—mostly the small kind on a post—all over the place. At one time there was Sunday delivery too, but that stopped long ago.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There is always the US Post Office. You can find one in some of the smallest towns in this country. In the picture below the door to the post office is right behind the American Flag. I have also included a picture of the sign with details of the town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4339.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	109238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4337.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	109239  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I worked for a downtown business when I was 19 in 1963. We got two mail deliveries a day, one morning and one afternoon, If we mailed a letter in the morning to another downtown business, it was delivered the same day.

We lived in the country on a rural free delivery route and my mother would buy 3 cent stamps by putting change in the mail box with no note attached and when we picked up the mail the stamps would be there. If we didn't have a stamp or 3 cents, we'd mail the letter and the mail man would charge it on a tab for us. We'd pay the tab and buy stamps by leaving change in the box.

We got our first telephone when I was 13. It was a party line with 10 people on the same line. We all had a different ring and all 10 phones would ring when one of the 10 got a call. If somebody got a call at 3 am we'd all know it. I was 7 before we got electricity, 9 before we had an indoor toilet, and 12 when we got our first TV set that got one channel.

Gary
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We discovered the same thing on our trip this year. Surprised to discover there were no mail drop boxes at Walmart. Not only that but they do not have the facilities for faxing. Since a lot of travelers use their stores it would make good business sense to have communications section within the store faxes could be received and sent; mail drops, Western Union services, etc.

We carry 2 lap tops and full service printer for our business needs but it would sure be nice if Walmart has a place to drop off mail and possibly some faxing abilities.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Here is the Post Office in Wiseman, Alaska (North of the Arctic Circle) which they had to close. Not because there were only 4 families in Wiseman, but because it sank into the permafrost

The New Post Office was opened a few miles away in Coldfoot. Coldfoot is the only truck stop between Fairbanks and the North Slope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_ICT0726.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	109244   Click image for larger version

Name:	_ICT0736.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	109245  

Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, with the amount of mail being sent now days a drop box is a total waste. Most all of them have been removed. Within about a five mile radius, we have about 15 Post Offices so we just go there when needed. And that is about six times a year. Drop boxes have been hit by cars, lit on fire, filled with paint, blown up with fireworks, and sometimes someone's cat was put in one. I would remove them too. I forgot to mention that they have to be repainted quite often in some neighborhoods due to graffiti. Our mail/drop boxes were removed before we got any Wal-Marts.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
We carry 2 lap tops and full service printer for our business needs but it would sure be nice if Walmart has a place to drop off mail and possibly some faxing abilities.
Gaylejoe,
If you have a full service printer including scanning capabilities, you should check out efax.com. We are setting it up for our company so we can get rid of the fax machine and extra land line. You can send and receive faxes right from your laptop.

I once found a note from the mailman in my curbside mailbox. It said he couldn't deliver the mail because there was a vehicle parked in front of my box.....but he could leave the note??
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
There are five drop boxes between my house and the post office 5 miles away. Must not be many Unibombers or Anthraxers around the Baltimore suburbs. I usually go to the post office so that I know it gets there.

Now Red Yeast? What is it and why is it an emergency to obtain it? Our daycare lady is allergic to yeast. I guess she should avoid the red yeast.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Frank, red rice yeast is supposed to lower cholesterol. My wife tried it and her cholesterol went down some amazing amount though I can't remember the numbers right now, maybe 70 points.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Now Red Yeast? What is it and why is it an emergency to obtain it? Our daycare lady is allergic to yeast. I guess she should avoid the red yeast.
Last spring my new doctor prescribed Red Yeast Rice and Fish Oil tablets to lower cholesterol and it worked. I was shocked. I take two of each every day.

The emergency part was an embellishment.

Gary
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Our next door neighbors from Ontario, Ca are paying $360 they said to the Canadian Postal Service to have their mail forwarded to Florida when they are here over 5 months of the year. They pay nothing to the US Postal Service to have their mail forwarded from Fl to Ontario once they return there. Their mail is more expensive and service is slower than ours. Am afraid that the US is going that route too of less service and more expense to the individual, and on top of that higher taxes coming. Hope I'm not being too political with this. Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote