Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

raleigh , California
New or late-model rebuilt?

After a 2 year break we want to go back into airstreaming. Thinking about buying new or having a late model rebuilt to our specs by Timeless trailers in CO. What would give a better quality??
NCstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCstreamer View Post
After a 2 year break we want to go back into airstreaming. Thinking about buying new or having a late model rebuilt to our specs by Timeless trailers in CO. What would give a better quality??
If your pockets are deep enough, TTT will create something approaching aluminum perfection.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I awoke from a sound sleep...TTT was building my perfect 'Stream...only to realize I DIDN'T win the lottery and it was all a dream
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Lafayette , Louisiana
I have the same question as NCstreamer. I'd really appreciate a good response!
My concern is also with formaldehyde. So I'd want the rebuild to include new 'green' insulation and to take out any pressed wood (which also contains formaldehyde). In terms of quality, would an older or late model airstream be better suited for such a rebuild?
Thanks.
laceydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There certainly is a running debate about the quality of the factory built trailers. I'll go ahead and poke the skunk a bit with this assertion: Commercially built Airstreams are assembled (with the exception of the exterior skin) much like any other trailer, with many of the same materials. They are made by common humans who work a shift and have production targets, cost reduction goals, and all those short-comings of mass production.

So, if you want a higher quality build, with real attention to detail, and perhaps better materials, then a professional restorer/rebuilder, whom you can interview, look at their portfolio, and make requests for customization, is (arguably) the way to go. Don't expect it to be cheaper than buying a new trailer fresh off the lot.

Now the question of rebuilding a newer model vs and older model. First, it is a matter of taste, ie., what body style appeals to you (50's, 60's, 70's, or recent). Second is a matter of materials. Trailer shells were made of 2024 T3 Alclad up until the late 70's or somewhere in the 80's if my failing memory serves me right. The Alclad means that it can be shined up to a mirror finish, and the temper means that the shell is less prone to denting. I find it interesting that there are all these vintage trailers rolling around with hardly a hail dimple to be seen, yet anyone who has been watching ebay very much is used to seeing recent model trailers that have been totaled by the insurance company because they were in a hail storm.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
In my humble opion vintage is the way to go from what I've heard and read the quality and craftsmanship just is not there today.
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I have no doubt that a trailer done by TTT (or several other well-known restorers) would have better quality. The only concern I would have is future resale - if you get out of Airstreaming again, you might have a lot of $$ in a personalized trailer that would be hard to recoup.

Honestly, it's one of the things that kept me from having a larger vintage trailer than my now-sold Minuet restored.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I don't have the money to pay a professional restorer to do my trailer for me, so I muddle along the best I can, when I can.

However, if I did have the money, there is no way I would buy a brand new unit today. I would much rather have a well rebuilt older unit. A custom restoration/build is going to beat the living daylights out of anything that is factory original, regardless of when the factory built it.

Personal preference is anything built prior to about 1985 with a soft spot (in my head) for the 1970's vintage.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
NCstreamer,
we rebuilt a vintage 31 footer, not as nice at TTT does it from the frame up as we were fortunate to have a very well taken care of coach. There are still a few things that we want to do, at a cost of course. We did a price comparison and felt that we could save 10's of thousands on an upgraded coach compared to $96-106K for a new 31' footer. What really convinced us was even with the upgrades, new tanks, axles awnings floor..... the Airstream still weighed only 5200# dry. New 31 footers are up there a few more pounds with today's materials.
Another option (a little closer if distance is a limitation) is Capital City Customs INC in Raleigh where they also rebuilt Airstreams with their own customized shop to fabricate, turn/bend aluminum and build cabinets.
Either way they both build from the bottom up, the recommended route I would go, to build the coach to the personality. It also keeps the great reputation of AS trailers going with one more vintage still on the road.

Good luck and "build it and they will come" that is, all the folks wanting to look inside.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You might want to talk to TTT first. I think they can get an unfinished shell from JC and build from there. I have seen one of their builds on a new trailer. Nice. Are you particularly sensitive to formaldehyde?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
what do you want to start with?

ya want to start with a 70 year old thing to completely rebuild, and still have a 70 year old thing albeit exceptionally nice. Or, are ya gonna have a custom trailer built? Why don't you have TTT just start from scratch? New frame new axles, basements built in with NOTHING on the roof of a supposedly streamlined trailer; a true smooth belly pan; enough height to accomodate tall people. top of the line appliances, etc, etc. See, it ain't that hard, just roll in a wheel barrow full of "inflata us bucks" and let'r rip. uhh, in a high inflationary time, intrinsic stuff is worth more than money. so, let your wallet be your guide, cuz mr. inflation is just around the corner, imho. A super nice trailer would be a nice thing to have; and you can claim it as a second home....
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the design (several choices), features, build quality, warranty, and resale value of the newest Airstreams. If not satisfied with some accessory or feature I can upgrade at will. I can set up a maintenance schedule to ensure it doesn't leak, corrode, or fall apart and do it myself or have a reliable shop do it for me. If something fails during a trip, I can take it to an Airstream repair facility and they will know what they are dealing with. If I croak my wife has something of assured value. Good investment as RV's go.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
If I was in your position I would actually have a 1946 -1949 Spartan redone by Timeless. I agree with the posters above. If you're gonna have a custom trailer built why not have one that's a classic.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #14

Lafayette , Louisiana
Thanks everyone! I'll def go with a classic. Seems like the 1970's models are easiest to come by. I got a quote for an entire gut/rebuilt of a 31' for around 64k. Yikes! I shoulda known. We may try and do it ourselves! Double yikes
laceydu is offline   Reply With Quote