Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Does anyone have an opinion on good family canoe for 4? (2 adults, 1 6y old, one black lab)
I am an experienced paddler, currently have 4 kayaks, but with the addition of the puppy, we will need more capacity so I am thinking canoes! I grew up in Scouting and have always had some type of craft to paddle. We will be doing mostly day trips on slow rivers and exploring on lakes/ponds. Would like something not too heavy as I carry it up on the roof when towing, comfortable, and fairly stable.
Have been looking at Old Town Penobscot 17…any comments/suggestions?
Canoestream, I am guessing this is your (other) passion!

Thanx, Bill
Hi Bill; Nothing beats "Scott" in kevlar. Superb selection. Very light and tough, including wider widths and greater capacities. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Canu canoe?

Hi Bill,
A good condition 17’ Oldtown and gear for $500 sounds like it should be a good deal.
Canoeing was my first love, way before Airstreams and Jeeps. First Scouting merit badge.

I have several Oldtowns, Chestnuts, Mad River, Grummans made of wood, wood/canvas, Rolex, aluminum. $50-3000. I prefer a 1930’s 15’ wood/canvas for flat water with 2 people. But you’ll do maintenance on wood canoes. It’s a love thing.

For family and camping gear/dog 17 footers work great.

They’re right the Penobscot will do double duty on rivers and lakes, not the best flat water tracking but if you’re out for family fun and not trekking that’s what the stern paddler is for….J stoke rudder it. The Appalachian is nice. I have a 15’ Camper, great for solo or 2.

You can bounce Oldtown Roylex canoes off rocks and shoals and get LOTS of years of general family use/abuse out of them. $500 well spent. They take a snow load nicely if left outside. Never met a Grumman aluminum I couldn’t patch and float.

Personally, I’d be buying the Oldtown…trying it out…then if it’s not a perfect fit, pass it forward, Craig’s List it for what you paid and invest in another (or keep them ALL).

Enjoy and teach your child the joy of paddling and the bliss of knowing the difference between sound and noise.

Canu Canoe?

Safari 64
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Got it!

OK-I scored the Old Town Penobscot; pretty boat with the cane seats, ash thwarts, etc.
I find it hard to believe they used it more than once or twice. Barely a mark on it.

It's home and in the garage...what is the best way to store boats? Upside down or upright?
I have heard different opinions on this...

Thanx, Bill
Old 04-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congrats Bill! It is easy to rig the canoe to hang upside down -- multiple ways the gunwales will sit stable for you. It's also easier to get dust off the outside than inside. You must always transport the canoe in this attitude anyway. It's easy to move from the garage to truck top if you have portage pads. I can provide pics of my storage solution in a couple days -- I'm sure you'll get more. Glad y'all are going to get on the water this spring!

Confession time -- on my first examination of Airstreams in the early 90s I was trying to figure how to transport a canoe on top of one. That would make A/C replacement and solar panel installations seem easy!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Congrats Bill! It is easy to rig the canoe to hang upside down -- multiple ways the gunwales will sit stable for you. It's also easier to get dust off the outside than inside. You must always transport the canoe in this attitude anyway. It's easy to move from the garage to truck top if you have portage pads. I can provide pics of my storage solution in a couple days -- I'm sure you'll get more. Glad y'all are going to get on the water this spring!

Confession time -- on my first examination of Airstreams in the early 90s I was trying to figure how to transport a canoe on top of one. That would make A/C replacement and solar panel installations seem easy!
Hi Bob, my situation(garage) is better suited to storing down low. It is getting a little crowded; 4 kayaks and now a 17' canoe. The rafters are already full, and the kayaks are smaller/lighter to hang up. I was thinking some type of cradle?
Again, I guess upside down is best?
Structuraly, is this best for kayaks and canoes? Someone once told me the gunnels are the strongest and the hull (floor) the weaker point, so it is best to transport in this fashion (they were talking kayaks). I was skeptical, because none of the car racks are built like this! Canoe racks are though...

Any pix would still be appreciated...

Bill
Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hey doorgunner! I am curious about the ducted fan set-up too, and the camouflage thing behind the kayak! What the heck is that???

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
There is no good canoe for four.

Once you get an handle on that, a 17' Grumman should suit you just fine as long as the three and four stay the same size and welght. Then you will need to do something else.

Happy Trails - Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hi Bob, my situation(garage) is better suited to storing down low. It is getting a little crowded; 4 kayaks and now a 17' canoe. The rafters are already full, and the kayaks are smaller/lighter to hang up. I was thinking some type of cradle?
Again, I guess upside down is best?
Structuraly, is this best for kayaks and canoes? Someone once told me the gunnels are the strongest and the hull (floor) the weaker point, so it is best to transport in this fashion (they were talking kayaks). I was skeptical, because none of the car racks are built like this! Canoe racks are though...

Any pix would still be appreciated...

Bill
My kayak dealer said that a kayak should be suspended on it's side. I have a sit-on-top, and that advice may be specific for those. I don't know if the same holds true for sit-ins. Side storage is great for utilizing space.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:02 AM   #29
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
My kayak dealer said that a kayak should be suspended on it's side. I have a sit-on-top, and that advice may be specific for those. I don't know if the same holds true for sit-ins. Side storage is great for utilizing space.
Dave
Yeah a kayak dealer petty much told me the same; store/transport them on the side or upside down. I thought that was kind of silly, as all the racks, including the ones in his shop, (Thule, Yakima, etc) place them upright?!
Any way, my Son is just 6 yrs old, so we should have a few more years to travel as “4”. As he grows, we still have all the kayaks.
Penobscot is “Royalex” (ABS) not Kevlar. Literature says you can fold it around a rock, get out and pop it back into shape! Let’s hope we never try that…
65# for a 17’ boat is pretty light, at least as far as plastic boats go.

Door gunner, I am going to guess the fans are for a hot air balloon? Or maybe "paint booth"?

Thanx all for the input,
Bill
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #30
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
OK-I scored the Old Town Penobscot; pretty boat with the cane seats, ash thwarts, etc.
I find it hard to believe they used it more than once or twice. Barely a mark on it.

It's home and in the garage...what is the best way to store boats? Upside down or upright?
I have heard different opinions on this...

Thanx, Bill
Bill- Great Deal! You made the right choice as for a very good canoe and at an incredible price! Have fun and be safe. Be sure to get the high end life jackets for the kids and dog!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #31
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Found this on Old Town's site;

How should I store my Old Town canoe or kayak?

CANOES: Always store upside-down, even overnight. If at all possible, set on sawhorses or blocks, as this will allow the gunwales to carry the weight.
KAYAKS: Should be stored on their sides or standing on one end, if at all possible. If stored outside we recommend an Old Town kayak cockpit cover to prevent the possibility of water getting inside. Another option is to store the boat upside-down, preferably in slings or on cradle-type saw horses. This will keep the decks from becoming distorted.
If you must store your canoe or kayak outside, we recommend you tie it down, as strong winds can catch the underside, flip it, and cause damage. Also, ultraviolet light from the sun may fade the color over time; if possible, store your boat out of the sun. If stored outside, do not cover with a tarp laid directly on the boat, as the heat of the sun will create an oven under the tarp that can damage, distort or discolor the hull. A tarp properly suspended above the boat will protect it from ultraviolet light. Simply leave sufficient space to allow for air circulation.
Will salt water damage my Old Town boat?

No, salt water will not damage your canoe or kayak or any of its components with brief exposure. However, if you are using your boat frequently in salt water, it should be rinsed down after every use to avoid discoloration or corrosion of components.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Yeah a kayak dealer petty much told me the same; store/transport them on the side or upside down. I thought that was kind of silly, as all the racks, including the ones in his shop, (Thule, Yakima, etc) place them upright?!

Thanx all for the input,
Bill
Actually, those upright racks are cradles that should theoretically be under the bulkheads on the kayaks. Since many kayaks have V or round keels, laying them on a flat surface, especially in the sun with poly boats you can oil-can the hull, like if Joe-Bob jacked your trailer at the bumper. Cradles "should" keep this from happening. We use J cradles from Malone that store them on the side.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote