Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
I have spoken with that townships police and only need to call them before I go there. I want them there so the shop cannot say that we stole something or broke something of theirs. I feel that with the police there we will be able to go in and retrieve property without verbal harassment. I do not feel that with police present, we will need a camera. Should I tell the shop that the police are coming?

The trailer is going to be sold to someone. Both the PO of my new unit and David Winick have expressed interest in it for a project, so getting it quickly, and with as little additional stress on me is always good.

I am pretty concerned with the parts being on 10 foot shelves above the floor since someone could fall and get hurt.
Yes, I would tell them the police are coming. Tell them you are pleased the matter is finally going to be resolved and the police are there to watch and make sure things go smoothly and protect both parties. You are not there for confrontation or intimidation. You are there to settle business in a gentlemanly fashion and preferably with a handshake. Also tell them that you do look forward to getting back everything that you left with them.

If you tell them the police are going to be present, it may discourage any funny business or additional missing parts. If possible, I would put this in a letter or email or possibly have someone else call on your behalf.

You haven't paid them anything, right?

M.W.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
(continued...)

If you have already given them more money than you feel comfortable with, you might try pushing to get some of it back. For example, you could say, Okay, I'll accept your contract and remove my trailer and NOT pursue legal actions, IF you refund me xxx amount of money.

Ultimately, you need to do what you feel comfortable with. Personally, I hate it when people try to screw me. Mostly I hate the risidual anger that sits in my gut for sometimes years afterwards. I start conjuring up revenge fantasies and that cuts into my free time as well.

Sometimes we have to decide how much energy to give a situation. Would you rather be stewing over this nincumpoop or spending time with your wife in your new trailer?

Good luck with all this,

M.W.

"
Old 05-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #43
_

. , .
Quote:
... Should I tell the shop that the police are coming?
there is no tactical reason to inform them...

many negatives IF you do...
-further work is done...
-or completed work is UNDONE...
-parts go missing...
-bits are damaged...
-the unit gets moved off site...
-shop closes for the day...
and so on.

yes this is a confrontational event, but does not have to be negative or deteriorate.

having a neutral party with authority present helps with your primary goal...

to reclaim your property with little drama or risk....

and get away cleanly....

cheers
2air'

and i still think you should bring a camera....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Never want to do that again

Just got in and showered from the ordeal.

When we arrived, the shop had already move the trailer out of the shop as well as two piles of parts around the shop. The stuff I told them to throw away weeks ago was there too, and I was mandated by the police to take it with me. Needless to say I did not have room, and some people had to make a trip to the dump.

I was mad that when I was finishing loading my gear I asked the police office to ask the shop worker for my $100 piece of marine plywood that was to be used for the job. The officer came out and told me that the shop said they had accidentally broken it while setting the shell on the frame. Give me a break,, how does one break plywood placing a shell on it? I think they wanted an extra $100 for their botched job. The police said that even though I signed the form they wanted that I had grounds to sue them in civil court, and that their paper didn't mean anything. Not sure if I agree.

The way we rigged the shell to the frame worked very well considering the rear channel and front channel were not bolted down at all. I had no sway at all, but the road bumps were a little more than I liked (Rail road tracks).

I will be parting out the interior for what I can get for it, and then sell the shell/frame as a project for someone or as scrap.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Just got in and showered from the ordeal.

When we arrived, the shop had already move the trailer out of the shop as well as two piles of parts around the shop. The stuff I told them to throw away weeks ago was there too, and I was mandated by the police to take it with me. Needless to say I did not have room, and some people had to make a trip to the dump.

I was mad that when I was finishing loading my gear I asked the police office to ask the shop worker for my $100 piece of marine plywood that was to be used for the job. The officer came out and told me that the shop said they had accidentally broken it while setting the shell on the frame. Give me a break,, how does one break plywood placing a shell on it? I think they wanted an extra $100 for their botched job. The police said that even though I signed the form they wanted that I had grounds to sue them in civil court, and that their paper didn't mean anything. Not sure if I agree.

The way we rigged the shell to the frame worked very well considering the rear channel and front channel were not bolted down at all. I had no sway at all, but the road bumps were a little more than I liked (Rail road tracks).

I will be parting out the interior for what I can get for it, and then sell the shell/frame as a project for someone or as scrap.
What a drag. What jerks. I can't believe you had to go back in there and pick up all the itty bitty pieces of your trailer. I don't understand how people can stand to behave so poorly. You're mechanic sounds just plain mean. I don't have any other words to describe it. As a good friend of mine said the other day, people can only beat the system for so long. It does come back to them. I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. It sounds like even the police were sympathic.

M.W.

"
Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #46
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Good it's behind you!

When one door closes another opens

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #47
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Good job Steve. The guys history, and you are so much smarter. Remember, education is not free. Good times ahead, and my the stories around campfire. I glad it's behindl you.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My Airstream needs one too, but for totally different reasons....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Good it's behind you!

When one door closes another opens
Not always. Sometimes all doors shut and you're stuck in a dark hallway.

M.W.

"
Old 05-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #50
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
lot of trouble for nothing

i would have just left it there...let him suck up the space, time and money....when finished....i would have been like...so long i forgot about it...keep the 1300 as a learning experience....

sometimes i have learned to loose a little before losing a lot...1300...i would have passed on....and stuck him with a trailer that you were likely going to scrap anyhow...

but it all worked out in the end...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I'm sorry your experience was so negative, the way in which you were treated was so wrong. It sounds trite but its only money, only stuff. In the end it is their loss in reputation and integrity. Behavior like their's has a way of coming back around to them. What you sow you shall also reap.
Quote:
Just got in and showered from the ordeal . . . .
That even sounds metaphorical. Wash them off your skin, out of your hair, way way out of your life. DONE!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
I'm sorry your experience was so negative, the way in which you were treated was so wrong. It sounds trite but its only money, only stuff. In the end it is their loss in reputation and integrity. Behavior like their's has a way of coming back around to them. What you sow you shall also reap.

That even sounds metaphorical. Wash them off your skin, out of your hair, way way out of your life. DONE!
Wash as in it was over 90 degrees that day, and I was inside an aluminum oven with no insulation to keep out the heat

Steve
Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I know your on the road now, but WOW I am truly sorry for the ordeal you had to go through!! My prayers are with you on the road and down the line as you embark on your new Airstream adventure. You really need to get out and camp as soon as possible!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote