Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Most likely selling our AS, need something bigger ... advice?

Good day - over the last week my wife and i have been discussing our trailer (2009 25' Flying Cloud) situation, we have a walking 10 month old and hope for another one shortly. we recently purchased a small piece of land near a lake for a "getaway" place. we park our airstream there and spend at least 2 weekends a month and a few weeks a year there.

The Airstream is a fantastic, can not beat, tow and go trailer however i find it quite small for full time living with small kids...we were looking at something with slides and 35-40' long ... since it just will sit on our property maybe go on one small trip a year, the "tow and go factor" just doesnt fit into the equation anymore.

does anyone have any advice on other trailers or 5th wheels? what should we sell our AS (or trade it in for)?

i was going to stick with Thor Industries as we have never had an issue with our AS - this is our 4th year with it and we have spend close to 200 nights in.
stefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I was at Traveland a couple of months ago and they had a 2006 25' CCD they were asking $40K for if I recall... it sat for a bit but sold in the spring. I think you have to find a dealer you are happy with and go from there. Many other brands have similar construction, and the systems themselves are usually the same as in the Airstream.

I don't think you'd be out of line asking $50K for yours... a lot of people are spooked by the idea go going to the US to buy anything big-ticket, so you'll have a smaller, but captive, Canadian market. I've found that on both of my Airstreams, I have been offered more on trade for them (in Canada) than I paid for them in the US...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just a thought but, there are some Airstreams out there with slides. I think 30 ft. had one in it a few years ago.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Stefario, we are very comfortable in our 34' Airstream. When we camp it is as a family of four plus a large dog. The kids are 12, and 13 now. I encourage you to look at a used 30-34' Airstream.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Check out a brand called ” Open Range”. They are the ones I keep going back to. TT's and 5th wheels.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Check out Earthbound. Quality and green at a reasonable price. If I was going to change, which I am not, it would be Earthbound.
Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Used 30 ft slide ai Sanders RV, AS , jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
My wife and I have been camping for almost 25 years. Started in tents, then tent trailer (X2), then hard sided trailer (X2), then Airstream. When we started, we had no kids, now we have eight . As the family grew, we had to migrate to larger accommodations. The mix of kids is 4 of each gender with the eldest three being boys. After a while, we put the boys into tents for sleeping. Our last two SOB trailers had bunks and slide out’s. This certainly helped with the sleeping accommodations and room. Our last SOB trailer was a 29 footer, so quite roomy. But, we have always liked Airstreams and have looked at them a bit over the years.

We took the plunge and purchased our ‘05 30 foot Classic last summer. It is a bit crowded when all the kids are along; however, they are getting old enough now where some are either working, going to college, or something else during our camping trips. Now we are usually down to five kids or so when we camp (unless it is just mom and dad that get away ). Still a bit crowded, but we manage quite well.

Since we have a large family, we have to use a van to tow. This limits our options for trailers. Our last SOB was about 1,000 pounds heavier than the Airstream and was like pushing a sheet of plywood through the air. Much easier to tow the Airstream.

I do have to admit that bunk beds and a slide out really make it easier and more roomy. But we wouldn’t be without the Airstream now!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Why not keep the trailer and build a small cottage on your lot? Heck, you could even put up yurt for a lot less than the hit you'd take on selling the Airstream.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

thanks everyone for the reply's - yes there are a million different ways to slice it but i think we enjoy having a trailer and want to keep one on site for guests and family that visit, so "upgrading" the 25' to accomodate us as we grow and then for guests is what we are planning. Parking an AS just seems like a waste ... we do want the option of moving it, or using it for a trip or two a year off site but other than that its just for living in.

Open Range noted, anyone know anything about Keystone?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My Classic 31 will be for sale in about a month.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My favorite brand(s) of trailers/fifth wheels other than Airstream in no particular order; Glendale (Canadian built and out of business) but the used units are out there,Heartland RV, Nu-Wa, and Holiday Rambler. These are the ones that I feel are quality units, there are others out there.

FWIW Heartland is owned by Thor now. Keystone IMHO is towards the lower end of the quality spectrum. I have not been overly impressed with their construction or durability. But they are built to a lower price point. I work for a company that travels... a lot. Many of our guys have shifted to RV's vs the hotel rooms. Most are in 10 year old high end 5th wheels or travel trailers that have stood the test of time.

Depending on what you can do with the lake lot, getting a used older 5'ver and keeping the AS as a get away trailer guest cottage makes a lot of sense to me.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Aaron - we did find a Heartland model we like, the 36qbck - queen room up front, bunk room in the back - sounds like a win win.

does anyone else have any feedback on heartland? i looked at nuwa (expensive!) as well as holiday rambler, open range, keystone, redwoods ... couldnt find a decent floor plan that keeps the kids seperate - the heartland seemed to work.

would appreciate any feedback / input.

thanks.