Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Mobile printers

I am looking into getting a really small printer.I am needing one for me to take with me and use it from my laptop.It also needs to be able to do colors as well.What do you all think is a great brand and the best to take with you?Thanks all.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I am looking into getting a really small printer.I am needing one for me to take with me and use it from my laptop.It also needs to be able to do colors as well.What do you all think is a great brand and the best to take with you?Thanks all.
I have two that I take on the road with me. My most portable one is a obsolete Canon BJC-85 it also has scanner capabilities. It is about 1.5times the size of a carton of cigarettes. I have literally beat the crap out of this thing for the past 9 years and it still keeps going. I have a larger HP PSC 1500 that I take and leave set up in my motel room. It is about the size of a 24 pack Both are very reputable brands and I can still buy printer heads and cartridges for the Canon. I would steer clear of Brother and Lexmark products. I have had non-support issues and warranty issues with both of them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We received a "free" HP Inkjet with purchase of a Compaq laptop.. Pretty compact, two cartridge model, and it lives under bed in trailer.. Rugged and opens out to hold paper etc.. Aaron is correct that HP brand is more easily serviced, and cartridges (either new HP brand or refilled generics) are easier to come by... Understanding their business model (HP and Epson will essentially give away printers to sell ink for 3 years..) still makes them a reasonable deal... If you don't need exotic photo printing, basic little models are powerful and capable...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Printer

I have an all in one at the house but it is really big to be taking with me on trips.I would like to have one that could do color printing though.It does not have to make picture perfect photos but I would like it to make really good pictures of things like color charts and such.The smaller the better though.I want it to be out of the way when I put it up.Thanks you 2 for the brands.I will be checking these out and keep looking.Any more suggestions.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
I have an all in one at the house but it is really big to be taking with me on trips.I would like to have one that could do color printing though.It does not have to make picture perfect photos but I would like it to make really good pictures of things like color charts and such.The smaller the better though.I want it to be out of the way when I put it up.Thanks you 2 for the brands.I will be checking these out and keep looking.Any more suggestions.Thanks
HP 460 series and the Canon Pixma I90 are probably going to be your best bet for a super compact model. Hit up a Best Buy, Staples, or Office Max/Depot for a close up look. They don't always have them all available but you will get an idea. I like PSC 1500 even though it is a bit on the bulky side. My BJC fits in my briefcase. Only regret is that I didn't spring for the battery pack. For the super compact printers expect prices in the $250 range.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I recently bought one of these HP Photosmart C3100 All-in-One series overview - HP Small & Medium Business products it is an all in one which can be handy and gives photos that I can live with. Yes, it is bulkier than I would like, but at $80 I dont care if shakes apart in a couple years use.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Gen D,
price is really great. do they get you on cartridges, then? Or is the ink about the same price as others?

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
definately HP on this one. i have the previous version of this one and it's great. you can't beat the fact that it has a battery and can print from anywhere without power. you can also get a case from HP just to carry the printer in. i use it when i'm at the jobsite and have been very happy with it. it's pricey, i think i paid $250 last fall but well worth it for the mobility factor.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I just bought this printer/scanner/copier at Best Buy yesterday. It's fairly compact at 16.76 x 10.22 x 6.7 inches, and weighs 10.3 lb. It should fit nicely in the cabinet above the dinette. It was on sale for $29.99, and I didn't even have to buy a computer to get it.

Buy HP Deskjet F380 All-in-One(Q8134A#ABA), HP color All-in-Ones, HP All-in-Ones, HP printers, Printers direct from the HP Home & Home Office Store
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We keep an HP A512 in Amelia to share pix with folks on the campground. It only prints 4X6 and is a single cart printer (HP #110), but the prints look great. It's small, has a rechargable battery (or runs off AC or the car), and will print right from the camera.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up Hp-460

Good - tough - high quality printing - options to meet your specific needs
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We leave a printer in Lucy at all times. It is an HP Deskjet 3740 full color printer. We have it installed in the upper cabinet over the dinette. It operates without taking it out of the cabinet. We simply pull down the cords and plug into a 110 outlet and a usb on our notebook. We use the printer almost daily while on the road. We use it in conjunction with our Moose Tags business, and print mailing labels and invoices. The original cost of the printer was about $50, and the ink cartridges are available at Wal-Mart.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My HP Photosmart 7300 series has been all over the US. Still works.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Quote:

I bought an HP 460 last winter. It is a well made printer, both color and B&W. I've owned other HP's (desktop) and Lexmarks. I found the Lexmarks ate cartridges and both in that under $100 category didn't last. But two years ago I bought an HP $150 model for desktop and it not only has larger cartridges but they seem to last forever. The 460 I bought direct from HP on line for $200. It's about the size of two cigarett cartons and takes up little room. A nice machine. I didn't get the battery pack. Charlie E
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote