Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Yeah, well when push comes to shove it's still six of one, half dozen of the other.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Look here even how we differ. Technically it stands for 'recreational vehicle' so anything within that category qualifies.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I hate being asked the question, "Are you all set?". This question is commonly asked by waiters/waitresses in restaurants in the Northeastern United States. I don't quite get the meaning nor do I know the response. All set to do what or to go where?
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
We hear the misuse from time to time when folks call in for reservations. We ask for the type of RV they have (for space allocation). When the response is "RV," then we know they're not too familiar with relevant terminology.

Lynn
Maybe you should ask what type of "equipment" and the length...
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I hate being asked the question, "Are you all set?". This question is commonly asked by waiters/waitresses in restaurants in the Northeastern United States. I don't quite get the meaning nor do I know the response. All set to do what or to go where?
You're from Mississippi, so I'm sure you understand - but we have some northerners on this forum as well. While it was proper for the waitress to ask "Are you all set?" when you were by yourself, if there had been more of you, she should have asked, "Are all ya'll set?"

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
It all depends on your point of view. I have lots of clients that refer to their trailer, 5th wheel or motorized unit as an 'RV'. Then I have the upper crust; those with way too much money and time on their hands, who refer to their $million + motorhomes as a 'coach' as in motorcoach. They don't want to be considered in the same category as a mere 'RV'. They feel that they are 'special' and need everyone to know it!

Then there is the one client that I have from Maine who owns the largest Ford dealership in the state. He is an old 'Mainer' and refers to his $million + Prevost as a 'camper', but pronounces it with his heavy Maine accent as 'camp-ah'. He is a blast and infuriates his fellow owners in the 'Motorcoach Resort' where he lives in the winter in FL on a regular basis with his down home descriptions of what he has. Just a regular guy with a bunch of bucks!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, something similar. My wife usually asks for what "kind" of rig they have, which usually results in something like "Jayco XLS3254." Completely uninformative info. I suggested what "type" rather than what "kind."

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Maybe you should ask what type of "equipment" and the length...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I hate people referring to it as a mobile home. I've even got a ceramic plate given to me by a friend with a drawing of a Silver Streak on it and the caption "God Bless Our Mobile Home".
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Then I have the upper crust; those with way too much money and time on their hands, who refer to their $million + motorhomes as a 'coach' as in motorcoach.
Must be the same folks who tow a dinghy, because a toad isn't pretentious enough for them.

Given the comparatively small size of my Interstate, and the even smaller size of my Honda Fit, I can't even call the Honda a "toad" when I hitch it up to my Interstate; it's only a tadpole!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We get that from non-RVing locals who don't see much difference between the RV park and the mobile home park a few miles from here. (BTW, the local police call the mobile home park "crack hill." Gives you an idea about the place.)

On the other end of the spectrum, we do get those who insist that their huge motorhomes are "coaches." In reality, those huge things are about the size of mobile homes.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I hate people referring to it as a mobile home. I've even got a ceramic plate given to me by a friend with a drawing of a Silver Streak on it and the caption "God Bless Our Mobile Home".
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #31

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
We get that from non-RVing locals who don't see much difference between the RV park and the mobile home park a few miles from here.
On my office computer at lunchtime one day last week, I was looking up "campgrounds" in the Memphis area. Half the hits on Goggle Maps were actually mobile home parks! Made me appreciate my tablet with Allstays loaded on it even more…
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
It all depends on your point of view. I have lots of clients that refer to their trailer, 5th wheel or motorized unit as an 'RV'. Then I have the upper crust; those with way too much money and time on their hands, who refer to their $million + motorhomes as a 'coach' as in motorcoach. They don't want to be considered in the same category as a mere 'RV'. They feel that they are 'special' and need everyone to know it!

Then there is the one client that I have from Maine who owns the largest Ford dealership in the state. He is an old 'Mainer' and refers to his $million + Prevost as a 'camper', but pronounces it with his heavy Maine accent as 'camp-ah'. He is a blast and infuriates his fellow owners in the 'Motorcoach Resort' where he lives in the winter in FL on a regular basis with his down home descriptions of what he has. Just a regular guy with a bunch of bucks!
Here's a funny story along these lines:

We camp every year at Petit Jean State Park, Arkansas for the annual car show/junk sale/flea market held the week before Father's Day. One year there was a guy there with his $800,000 coach. We know it was an $800,000 coach because he made sure to start every sentence about it that way. After a couple days of this $800,000 coach this and that an old-timer with a homemade converted school bus, old truck, and a few grand kids (along with their assorted bikes and toys, etc) pulled him aside and showed it to him. "Everything you see here costs $7,000 and we're having just as much fun as you are!"

That guy went back in his $800,000 coach and didn't come back out again.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Yep, something similar. My wife usually asks for what "kind" of rig they have, which usually results in something like "Jayco XLS3254." Completely uninformative info. I suggested what "type" rather than what "kind."

Lynn
Hi, [watch the flames] same as on this forum; Mine is a 2005 25' Safari, but others feel that they have to tell everyone that their bedroom is in the front. [25'FB]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And of course "mobile homes" are now pretentiously called "engineered homes".

OK FLAMING, you know what burns my a**? A flame about 3 feet high.

Have a nice night.

Paula
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Another non-answer:
What kind of travel trailer do you have?
A white one.
Yes, I've heard that one a couple of times...

And now, just to edumacate everybody, a mobile home is not called that because it has wheels. They are called that because that's where most of them were built way back when, in Mobile, Alabama.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Aren't they all coaches? There are trailer coaches and there are motor coaches. There are rail coaches. There are stage coaches. I would think the term coach applies to the body work. Buses are sometimes referred to as coaches.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
On the other end of the spectrum, we do get those who insist that their huge motorhomes are "coaches." In reality, those huge things are about the size of mobile homes.
I always enjoy reading the reviews posted on campgroundreviews.com that I think are from the "coach" people. They usually have complaints like, "They only have 26 channels on cable!" "Too much tree cover for my satellite dish!" And so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
On my office computer at lunchtime one day last week, I was looking up "campgrounds" in the Memphis area. Half the hits on Goggle Maps were actually mobile home parks! Made me appreciate my tablet with Allstays loaded on it even more…
Yeah, Google Maps searches are of limited value for campgrounds. I frequently see Christian retreat camps show up in the "campground" search. But my favorite result is a clothing-optional camp that's not far from here. I forget what it's called, so I always start reading the reviews and think, "Hey, this sounds like a decent campground!" Then I check out the website and it's like, "Oh, wait. Right."

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post

But my favorite result is a clothing-optional camp that's not far from here. I forget what it's called, so I always start reading the reviews and think, "Hey, this sounds like a decent campground!" Then I check out the website and it's like, "Oh, wait. Right."
Back in my younger days, I used to think going to one of those places would be interesting, in a scenery-oriented sort of way. Until I realized that half the people there would be less than interesting to look at without clothing. And I would also have to be there sans clothes.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I always enjoy reading the reviews posted on campgroundreviews.com that I think are from the "coach" people. They usually have complaints like, "They only have 26 channels on cable!" "Too much tree cover for my satellite dish!" And so on.
Like the fellow at Lake Bruin State Park in the Class A next door to my site who set up his satellite dish in my reserved campsite, and was so terribly upset when I wanted to actually park my Interstate there. He finally moved his dish when I threatened to run over it if he didn't, but then set it up again right in front of my bumper, so I had to threaten to run over it again when I left.

And you know, despite the beautiful oxbow lake and the private docks at each campsite, I don't think I saw the owners of that rig outside even once other than when he was moving his dish. No campfire, no barbecue, no watersports, nothing. I was there with my inflatable kayak, and had a blast.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I always thought that an AS was classified as an RV under the heading of (non motorized towable) sub heading (ridged shell, non pop-up temporary living space). But we refer to it as a (rolling jelly bean). I was never big on being politically correct.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote