Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #61
jdb
jdb

2005 22' International CCD
Somewhere , Currently moving east to west
I took up whitewater kayaking...

as a great midlife activity about five years ago. It's the only sport I've ever engaged in that truly scares me. I rode motorcycles when I was young (still ride bicycles, but that's different, huh?) but gave it up when I had kids and never took it back up. Good luck, stay safe, and remember, they really CAN"T OR WON"T SEE YOU! It gives defensive driving a whole new meaning.

Whitewater kayaking is pure, distilled adrenaline, the single malt scotch of action sports. I love it. I live in the Four Corners area (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado) of the west and we have spectacular opportunities to kayak. This year was a great whitewater year, the best in about the last ten. I highly recommend it for a mid life crisis. It helps put things in perspective.
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have always enjoyed Bluegrass Music and particularly the 5 String Banjo. So as I approach my retirement in a few years, I've started taking banjo lessons. Hopefully, by the time I retire, I'll be halfway decent and can travel in my Airstream to Bluegrass Festivals and do some pickin' without embarressing myself.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I have always enjoyed Bluegrass Music and particularly the 5 String Banjo. So as I approach my retirement in a few years, I've started taking banjo lessons. Hopefully, by the time I retire, I'll be halfway decent and can travel in my Airstream to Bluegrass Festivals and do some pickin' without embarressing myself.
Have to do it!!!!

What's the difference between a banjo and a chain saw? The chain saw has greater dynamic range. What's the least-used sentence in the English language? "Isn't that the banjo player's Porsche?" What do you say to a banjo player in a three-piece suit? "Will the defendant please rise?" There's nothing I like better than the sound of a banjo, unless of course it's the sound of a chicken caught in a vacuum cleaner.
Female five string banjoist shouting at her boyfriend in a crowded shopping mall: "Don't forget, sweetheart, I need a new G string."

Old 09-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

bought my first red sportscar at 21 my second at 26 and my third at 42
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #65
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I find that I'm kind of like Roger in this regard. Additionally, I've done most of the fun stuff like skydiving, boating, RVing, sports cars, pinball machines, women (before I met my wife), etc.

What I find is that we boys and our toys (and I am sure women are similar), the toys only get more expensive as you get older. First it's HotWheels cars, then big wheel/tricycle/greenmachines, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, boats, houses, RVs, etc.

By no means do I suggest or promote not saving for retirement or for later years, but I also come from the point of view that you could be gone at any time....tomorrow is not promised to us, so take as much enjoyment you can afford to as long as it is not at the expense of others.

Sermon complete (from a gen "x"er).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

2001 25' Excella
Spokane Valley , Washington
Mid life

We had a mid life splurge and bought an 87 Mercedes 560 SL, just cuz I always thought they look so awesome. Sometimes the dream is better than the reality. I always leave the hard top on, cuz I'm going somewhere convertible hair won't be acceptable or it's too hot without the top or you get a perfect day but it looks like it may rain.

And there is something very not cool and also embarrassing about taking more than 3 minutes to extract yourself from the car and knocking your sunglasses off in the process. That's a midlife crisis!

I find the trailer more mid life "comfortable."
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:30 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda , Florida
midlife. What's that all about?

At 65 I'm a "TOYS R US KID" and I don't want to grow up. Left corporate America seven years ago, sold the stuff storage area, went full time, bought a place in Florida (Paradise Park) that has a golf course, did a little workamper stuff, many new friends and good times. I have a great wife, my golf clubs and a tool box. What more could anyone ask for? When I'm through pullin' this AS (I hope I know when it's time) we'll settle down someplace. PL AN AHE AD YOU SA Y? Life's tough enough, I'm enjoying while I can.

Any comments?
Gary and Carol
buds in a can Did I mention we sold our Goldwing and my dirt bikes?
Budsinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
By no means do I suggest or promote not saving for retirement or for later years, but I also come from the point of view that you could be gone at any time....tomorrow is not promised to us, so take as much enjoyment you can afford to as long as it is not at the expense of others.

Sermon complete (from a gen "x"er).
Amen (from a "boomer")!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #69
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
You'll have to join us for the Bluegrass Festival in Chattanooga. It is always the first weekend in May. We have loads of fun! PM me if you are interested.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:19 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
.... I finally went for my motorcycle license last month and purchased my first bike!
It's been almost a year since I first posted information on my mid-life crisis. It now appears that my case of aluminitis is spreading to motorcycles (not sure if there is a term for this latest affliction) -- I purchased a vintage '79 HD XLH sportster motorcyle to restore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1979_HD_XLH.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	21242  

Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Wow Yuki.....Nice ride...Congratulations!!!! That look like it's in great shape for a resto. Your gonna be turning heads! Love the red. Is it kick or electric??? Have fun! Ann
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Wow Yuki.....Nice ride...Congratulations!!!! That look like it's in great shape for a resto. Your gonna be turning heads! Love the red. Is it kick or electric??? Have fun! Ann
Thanks! It is kick AND electric! I heard that 1979 was the last year for the kick start and that it was phased out during the 1979 production year. I turned it over tonight and it is LOUD! Yikes, it is even louder than my neighbor's Hellcat! I don't think it will pass inspection being that loud so will need to figure out a "plan B" for inspection purposes. Besides the pipes, there is alot of after market additions such as seat, front forks, speedometer, carborator (sp), manifold, air cleaner, marker lights, pegs, ignition system, oil cooler, rear shocks and springs. Lots of chrome too.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just tell the inspector that loud pipes save lives.
I ride British bikes and have always prefered the louder note of a bike with minimal muffling. Mind you, the British parallel twins aren't usually as loud as the American V-twins without muffling. Enjoy your ride and keep the shiny side up!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #74
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Mid life crisis, no mid-life awakening. I packed up my house, put my cats in a foster home, bought an Airstream, and moved 3/4 of the way across the US. I currently live in my Airstream. quite comfortable.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Well, no midlife crisis so to speak but I did feel the need to replace a 1970 chevelle we had from 1970 to 1979. I'd like another motorcycle as well but with no feeling in my hands and arms I'd be a statistic pretty darned quickly which is why the last one went down the road without me on it (boo hiss). So we've added the Chevelle to the stable and with that if a mid life crisis does come along I'll be able to handle it. Now as for my wife she has her own way to fend it off. It's called shoes. I've noticed her collection has increased quite significantly lately so.......

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Permanent issue?

Barry -

Sorry to hear that you are missing some of the FUN to be had on bikes due to the ' no feeling' issue. Permanent?? Hope not. Well, if it is, then as you have found, there are plently of healthy ways to 'get around' it....

Never let life's little 'ups and down's', slow you down! I've had plenty try to get me down in my 43/44 years and "they ain't caught me yet!!!" Never will neither!

BTW - You wouldn't perchance have any old Nomads or 6 hanging around, would you??? I used to have a neighbor in the early 80's that was a NUT for them and well, I am about at the "Nuts for them" stage...

Just curious!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Barry -

Sorry to hear that you are missing some of the FUN to be had on bikes due to the ' no feeling' issue. Permanent?? Hope not. Well, if it is, then as you have found, there are plently of healthy ways to 'get around' it....

Never let life's little 'ups and down's', slow you down! I've had plenty try to get me down in my 43/44 years and "they ain't caught me yet!!!" Never will neither!

BTW - You wouldn't perchance have any old Nomads or 6 hanging around, would you??? I used to have a neighbor in the early 80's that was a NUT for them and well, I am about at the "Nuts for them" stage...

Just curious!

Axel
Sadly Axle, no extra Nomads in stock. Through the 90's I sold off a lot of my cars and my last harley (a '79 also but a 1200 fatboy - I would love to have Yukionna's sportster sitting in my shop right now....). I am down to just the '57, the '70 and the Airstream (for the moment at least). A buddy back in our home town still has the '55 he bought in 64 and the '57 he bought in '69. Wish I'd of kept more of my stuff over the years. The last time I saw a decent Nomad for sale it was selling for a LOT more money than I ever thought one of those cars could be sold for and it was gone in a matter of days. I guess there's a lot of folks massaging their mid life crisis's.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:20 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Not an EXTRA Nomad - I want YOURS!

Barry -

BTW - The spelling was correct. AXEL. not axle. Common mistake. Not an issue.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't want an EXTRA Nomad - I want the one YOU wanted for yours! Don't want the million hours car. I want a really good 1 hundred hr. car. THE one you wanted for yourself!

Used to belong to a classic Lincoln Car Club ('62 4dr with Suicide Doors and Champagne leather interior) and although I had NO $'s at the time and went for the wrecks, the guys who loved cars AND MADE $ were the guys who had the bucks to buy the right car in the correct condition... The rest, as they say in investment brochures, is money in the bank! .... or a hole to dump lots and lots and lots of MONEY into.....

Glad to hear that you are in good condition physically, and if you run accross a NOMAD in the 'CORRECT' condition, DO CALL ME FIRST! 286/3 on the tree is my prefered set up. Seriously!!!!!

Had an uncle with that motor/tranny in a '55 sedan that he used as a parts runner, and I still wish I had that car! White with blue! He also had a 'SuperBird' in "Red" in for a LOT of repairs, that he let go for zero $'s even though the guy couldn't/didn't pay for the repairs.... he needed the space in his 3 stall garage on old Rt30! I OFFERED to pay the bill plus extra - coulda' traded college for that!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
1956 Chevy Nomad

Sweet car! I had never heard of that model before and just looked it up. Very nice.

Safari57 -- what model/year Nomad do you own?

Here's a pic of a restored '56 station wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 Chevy Nomad.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	21264  

Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Thanks! It is kick AND electric! I heard that 1979 was the last year for the kick start and that it was phased out during the 1979 production year. I turned it over tonight and it is LOUD! Yikes, it is even louder than my neighbor's Hellcat! I don't think it will pass inspection being that loud so will need to figure out a "plan B" for inspection purposes. Besides the pipes, there is alot of after market additions such as seat, front forks, speedometer, carborator (sp), manifold, air cleaner, marker lights, pegs, ignition system, oil cooler, rear shocks and springs. Lots of chrome too.
Sounds like you got the best of both worlds...That's great that it has electric...they can be a bear to kick!...always good to have a back-up kick just in case your battery dies...or you could find an incline and pop start it...been there done that.

I wish I new more about your pipes so I could help with a solution to pass inspection. They are making us do mandatory sound tests at all our races now so we have to re-pack our silencers every 2-3 races. Sound is a huge issue and some of the bikes are obnoxiously loud...I'm all for it. On the street tho it's a whole other issue...today you have people on cell phones w/ their radios blasting and sometimes they just don't see you...if that's what it takes to make them notice you is a blip of the throttle then I say keep em loud....just don't abuse it. Well...drive safe and happy trails!!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote