Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
memory foam mattress

We are planning to buy a 25' International, but I am concerned with the mattress. Are they hot to sleep on. I had a memory foam pillow once and hated it. Should we keep the mattress that we purchased last year for our current trailer? Thanks
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have this in my trailer. It is more comfortable and cooler than the one in my house that cost 5 times as much.

Amazon.com - Sleep Master - 8" Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress with 2" Aircool Foam - Full -

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
How long does that mattress take to thaw out in freezing temps for winter camping? We have a tempurpedic for the house that was delivered in the winter. Great mattress, but it seemed like it took the entire day before it didn't feel like a brick.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Does your new trailer come with a memory foam mattress? I did not realize that they did that on the new trailers. Usually they ship their trailers with a POS RV mattress.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We bought a reversible memory foam mattress topper be Sharper Image to make up for the terrible mattress in our corner bed Safari. It has a cool side for warm weather and warm side for cooler weather. I too had not liked memory foam because they were hot but we liked this topper so much we even bought one for our mattress at home which we already loved

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have this in my trailer. It is more comfortable and cooler than the one in my house that cost 5 times as much.

Amazon.com - Sleep Master - 8" Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress with 2" Aircool Foam - Full -
Did you customize the bed in your AS? You must have cut that foam to fit the curve. We had memory foam from the PO, on top of the original mattress. We like the original mattress better, don't know what to do with the foam now.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We purchased memory foam from Amazon too. 10 inch, 6 foam and 4 of the memory material. We love it.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Did you customize the bed in your AS? You must have cut that foam to fit the curve. We had memory foam from the PO, on top of the original mattress. We like the original mattress better, don't know what to do with the foam now.
It was very easy to reshape the mattress using an electric knife. It came with a gauze like inner cover and another zipped. I removed the inner cover and tossed it. I cut the new mattress slightly over sized to fit snug all around. My trailer came with three sets of quality fitted sheets. They fit better on the new mattress. Cutting the mattress of course voided the warranty but for the low cost I figured it was a worthwhile experiment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had a memory foam topper in a previous motorhome and disliked it very much. But the mattress in my 2014 FC 20 was so poor I decided to try another topper. This one was a 4" from Costco, with "cooling beads" which are supposed to keep it cooler to sleep on. I sleep hot, that is my body goes into overdrive heat mode when asleep.

The new topper is fine. Very comfortable and I sleep well on it now. No issues with heat. So, if you sleep hot, be sure to look for something which says it is cooler than normal memory foam. The Costco one for example.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote