Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Maumelle Park COE Campground

I know that Maumelle COE Campground has been shut down in anticipation of the Arkansas River flooding. Have seen aerial photos of the Big Dam nearly submerged just downstream.
Any Little Rock folks have any updates on how badly flooded Maumelle Campground may be?

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I was just at Little Rock. Maumelle isn't the only CoE campground to be affected. Toad Suck near Conway and Rising Star near Pine Bluff are also closed. Closure is expected to last until at least the end of June, because even after the water recedes, there are (non-waterproof) conduits that will be full of water so the power can't be turned on until they're dried out, as well as a thick layer of mud and debris that must be removed. Personally, I wouldn't expect any of the CoE campgrounds that get flooded to be very nice to stay in for the rest of the summer, at least, even if they do reopen.

Some of the Arkansas State Parks are likely to be affected as well, such as Dardanelle near Russellville.

Side note, I was up there to visit someone in Conway until yesterday. When I arrived, two weeks ago, Toad Suck was already closed, and they even moved the office building off-site! I ended up staying at the North Little Rock KOA, but yesterday morning I left sooner than I expected, right ahead of barricades being put up (literally— they put the barricades across the road immediately after I drove out!) because even though the campground might not flood, the access road ("Kampground Way") already has flooded. I feel sorry for the folks who will be stranded there because they can't get out; there were still a dozen trailers and motorhomes there when I left.

Bugging out in advance of a predicted flood is kind of like putting in your awning with thunderstorms predicted for your area. The best time to do it is when you first wonder if you should, rather than waiting to see if you'll really have to.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Hey Pro. Long time no see. You were lucky that KOA was even open. It has poor drainage even without flooding. I concur, even if they get infrastructure back it will take a year for the grassy areas to recover from being flooded.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote