Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Lost Back Panel to 1967 Safari

Traveling home to Texas today and just noticed that my back panel with my license plate fell off somewhere between Las Vegas, NM and Plains, TX. If by chance anyone is traveling in these areas please let me know if you see it. Small chance, I know, but you never know.
#newairstreamowner
Kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Do you mean your rear removable access panel?
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #3
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, the rear access panel. I’ve had some family go and retrace my steps but it seems someone may have picked it up.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Vintage campers.com had them but are saying out of stock. You may want to give Dan Pipen a call and explain to him your dilemma. He may be able to help. It appears the rear panel is about 39-3/8” x 13-1/2”. Is that correct? You may be able to have one made by a sheet metal guy near Blanco. Let me know what happens. Thanks
Old 05-09-2021, 04:30 AM   #5
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Thank You for the information! I had done an internet search but with no luck. My next step is to measure and see if I can have one fabricated as you suggested.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Vintage Trailer Supply has all the materials specifically designed to fabricate those mid sixties baggage doors. I’ve made doors replicating the old style which was a pain. The extrusions Steve sells appear to be pretty simple. Anyway, here’s what I came up with:
VTS 869-Frame extrusion-3 pieces
VTS 454-Cam lock-1
VTS 435c-Baggage compartment handle-1 (this is chrome, the other shown is not and may not hold up)
I hate to see anyone spend hundreds of dollars on something that costs a fraction of that. Good luck
Old 05-09-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Agree with bubba "do it yourself"

Yup that happens. It helps to keep it locked when traveling.

1967 rear hatch cover is a one year only, 68 and 66 don’t fit. It’s also the year of the mouse-hole, that notch in the bottom streetside where the shore-line passes thru. If your hatch door was original, now would be an opportunity to eliminate that famous rodent passage (knowledge of it is passed thru generations of mice) and convert to a removable shoreline using a marine or smartplug receptacle on the left-rear body somewhere convenient to you. Vintage trailer supply should have all the parts to make a new hatch cover.

Also look at how airstream attempted to rectify the problem with the 1968 "T" handle bell-crank latching mechanism that throws bolts into the side jambs. You can incorporate the improved design into your new hatch. VTS has that stuff too.

The 67 Safari is without doubt one of the best airstreams ever, so we know how much you love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mousehole.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	395171  
Attached Images

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
A preventive check... Find what caused it to pop out. There’s maybe a bit more flex happening back there than should be. That can happen when the shell is beginning to detach from the floor/frame. So poke around the rear attachment plywood and check for punky wood.

Before I replaced my bad wood, I had to keep my rear hatch locked otherwise it wiggled unlatched. I don’t know if it’s better now because I always keep it locked. Some folks tether each of their hatches with a length of stainless cable. It’s a super hassle to lose a hatch.

When I made my separation repair I discovered that airstream didn’t install any attachment bolts or screws for the entire 54” span across the rear. Holes were pre-drilled in “C”channel, but not through floor or cross-member, and no attachment hardware anywhere. So the entire panel that holds the latchbolt and functions as the rear hold-down was floating since its October 1967 build date. That would cause movement and flex back there too.

Here’s some pics to illustrate the 68 latch. It holds at three points.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0808.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	395176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0809.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	395177  

Name:	DSC_0810.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	395178   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0811.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	395179  

Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 AM   #9
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Thank You both for the great information! I’ve been working on her and I’m learning more and more. I just replaced the VCT flooring.

I put the items suggested in my cart and I’m amazed at how much cheaper it is. VTS is currently out of the aluminum but I bought the 3 point cam lock with the small t handle and the extrusion. I have some friends that do metal work so I am going to see if they can help out. I had found one company selling a special order rear door but wanted $650.

I will say I am in love with this Safari. My next project is the window cranks as some are super stiff. I bought some white lithium grease to see if I can work it out.

I am also going to take it in to get a new a/c unit. The guy was telling me it’s not worth getting the heat as the heat strip really doesn’t do much. What is your opinion?

In Texas it does get chilly but not really snow type weather. Is the heat strip enough or is there a better option? I plan to stick to the southern states for travel.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:40 AM   #10
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
I believe the 3 point cam was not latching properly. Rookie mistake: I had assumed my Uncle had locked it properly the night before. I have now learned the cardinal rule of inspecting the Airstream myself and every time I stop. I really do have a feeling it popped off between Las Vegas, NM and Roswell, NM.

I believe one of the previous owners had solved the mouse issue with a small drop door ( small piece of aluminum that drops shuts when not in use). But it will be nice to finally have a rear hatch again and not adding the famous mouse entrance.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #11
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Sounds like the hatch is well in the remaking.

You’ll find that when referring to airstreams by a specific year, there can be a range of the feature’s implementation depending on when and where your trailer was built. Meaning your 1967 window headrails could be 66 or 68 style, your under-floor insulation could be foam instead of fiberglass, and other surprises. Every year-specifying sentence should be prefaced with “Generally Speaking”...

The sill winder claws are all the same. They are very delicate inside. The good news is that the guts of the VTS replacements are perfect matches to the guts of the originals, so you can refurbish your originals easily if any parts are dysfunctional. Be super vigilant in caring for your Corning glass. It’s a world of hurt finding replacement glass.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...nt-111812.html

Cooling a trailer in Texas is a whole different game than cooling around the Great Lakes forests. I hardly ever use the original 1968 armstrong summer breeze atop my 68GT. There’s low-profile modern rooftop replacements, and somewhat involved “split” retrofits. The “splits” are quieter. Consult Texans...

Some vintage airstream owners abhor the rooftop “wart” aesthetic, and mount air conditioners in windows or on the tongue. Guess it depends if you want a wart on top of your head, on your neck, on your butt, or on the end of your nose. Instead of painting the rooftop A/C silver or white, I used a recessive color and it doesn’t call much attention or “break” the shiny top body line so much.

For heating, I eliminated the forced-air system, and use the Cozy Cabin marine bulkhead heater. It’s delightful, one of the happiest aspects of my trailer.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ew-126474.html

The prevailing airforums attitude about refurbishment is “It’s your trailer, do what you want”. That’s OK for many airstreams, but myself, being a horribly opinionated “Vintage Snob” prefer a “Stewardship” attitude about these old Betties. While it’s impractical to rely on the antiquated systems of old, modern retrofitting and personalizing can maintain a comforting sense of vintage, and that’s enough for me, so “airstream themed mid-century modern” is my targeted interpretation. I may not have entirely followed my own advise, but I’m having a helluva good time fixing it up.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/...ce-128019.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...on-147648.html

Maybe you’ll want to, and I do recommend, starting a “build or ownership thread” accounting your experiences regarding your 67 Safari. The sixties airstreams have a very supportive following. Many folks here have an interest in the success of your trailer and would look forward to exchanging ideas. You’re going to have to post a bunch of pictures too, pictured posts get more attention. I never thought to have a build thread, and probably should have. It’s a great way to keep a diary of your trailers’ progression, and a handy reference when discussing. Injecting parasitic bits of my experiences into other’s threads and post’s like I’m doing here, seems incongruous and less fluent.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
Thank You both for the great information! I’ve been working on her and I’m learning more and more. I just replaced the VCT flooring.

I put the items suggested in my cart and I’m amazed at how much cheaper it is. VTS is currently out of the aluminum but I bought the 3 point cam lock with the small t handle and the extrusion. I have some friends that do metal work so I am going to see if they can help out. I had found one company selling a special order rear door but wanted $650.

I will say I am in love with this Safari. My next project is the window cranks as some are super stiff. I bought some white lithium grease to see if I can work it out.

I am also going to take it in to get a new a/c unit. The guy was telling me it’s not worth getting the heat as the heat strip really doesn’t do much. What is your opinion?

In Texas it does get chilly but not really snow type weather. Is the heat strip enough or is there a better option? I plan to stick to the southern states for travel.
Chuck at Westbrook Metals has the sheet aluminum of multiple grades. He’s very knowledgeable in Airstream aluminum. They have locations in Austin and San Antonio.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #13
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Chuck at Westbrook Metals has the sheet aluminum of multiple grades. He’s very knowledgeable in Airstream aluminum. They have locations in Austin and San Antonio.

Thank You! I will look into this shop.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #14
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Sounds like the hatch is well in the remaking.

You’ll find that when referring to airstreams by a specific year, there can be a range of the feature’s implementation depending on when and where your trailer was built. Meaning your 1967 window headrails could be 66 or 68 style, your under-floor insulation could be foam instead of fiberglass, and other surprises. Every year-specifying sentence should be prefaced with “Generally Speaking”...

The sill winder claws are all the same. They are very delicate inside. The good news is that the guts of the VTS replacements are perfect matches to the guts of the originals, so you can refurbish your originals easily if any parts are dysfunctional. Be super vigilant in caring for your Corning glass. It’s a world of hurt finding replacement glass.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...nt-111812.html

Cooling a trailer in Texas is a whole different game than cooling around the Great Lakes forests. I hardly ever use the original 1968 armstrong summer breeze atop my 68GT. There’s low-profile modern rooftop replacements, and somewhat involved “split” retrofits. The “splits” are quieter. Consult Texans...

Some vintage airstream owners abhor the rooftop “wart” aesthetic, and mount air conditioners in windows or on the tongue. Guess it depends if you want a wart on top of your head, on your neck, on your butt, or on the end of your nose. Instead of painting the rooftop A/C silver or white, I used a recessive color and it doesn’t call much attention or “break” the shiny top body line so much.

For heating, I eliminated the forced-air system, and use the Cozy Cabin marine bulkhead heater. It’s delightful, one of the happiest aspects of my trailer.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ew-126474.html

The prevailing airforums attitude about refurbishment is “It’s your trailer, do what you want”. That’s OK for many airstreams, but myself, being a horribly opinionated “Vintage Snob” prefer a “Stewardship” attitude about these old Betties. While it’s impractical to rely on the antiquated systems of old, modern retrofitting and personalizing can maintain a comforting sense of vintage, and that’s enough for me, so “airstream themed mid-century modern” is my targeted interpretation. I may not have entirely followed my own advise, but I’m having a helluva good time fixing it up.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/...ce-128019.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...on-147648.html

Maybe you’ll want to, and I do recommend, starting a “build or ownership thread” accounting your experiences regarding your 67 Safari. The sixties airstreams have a very supportive following. Many folks here have an interest in the success of your trailer and would look forward to exchanging ideas. You’re going to have to post a bunch of pictures too, pictured posts get more attention. I never thought to have a build thread, and probably should have. It’s a great way to keep a diary of your trailers’ progression, and a handy reference when discussing. Injecting parasitic bits of my experiences into other’s threads and post’s like I’m doing here, seems incongruous and less fluent.

Thank You! Yes, terminology is very vast in this community. I’m trying to salvage what I can but a previous owner had done a renovation so I’m not really too sure what’s original or not.

Thank You for reminding me to start my renovation/ journey thread before I get too deep into the project.

My style is more Southwest Simplicity as I’m from New Mexico, but love the Fiesta element that is prominent here in San Antonio.

Still trying to name her! Time to get that thread started.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Fiesta sounds like a good name...

Always travel with quality silver duct tape and silver foil tape. Keep in the passenger compartment in case you need a quick rape up when you hop out.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #16
Ginja

1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
It’s funny you say that because the trip bringing it home, I had to stop in San Angelo and buy duct tape because a portion of the front underbelly fell out. I now have a roll. I already have new list of items to keep on hand.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Just found your thread, and will be following. My '67 had a newly fabricated rear door when I snagged it, so I'm guessing it departed the trailer some time in the past somewhere in Kansas. The shop that I bought if from fabbed up a new one, but without a latch. I like the three point set up, like my Caravel has for the garage door. Currently this trailer is in "waiting" to be done after I finish my Caravel. I think they are great design trailers, though pretty different from my Caravel, in where things enter the trailer. Jerry
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags