Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Today's super heroes and role models...as long as we have this super thread going and much of the old tv revisited I was wondering what the kids today watch. I don't watch a lot of tv these days with the rash of reality shows, abundance of crime drama, and so-called comedy sitcoms.

I loved Shirley Temple, Dagwood and Blondie, and Sherlock Holmes. Of course you had to watch Lucy, Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, and the Honeymooners!

Guess that is another reason I love my Airstream, it takes me away to another place and time.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
ditto

I remember Sky King and Penny too, and Sea Hunt and Rusty and Rin Tin Tin! and Lassie w/tommy rettig and jan (?) before Jon Provost and June Lockhart

I always liked Shirley Temple ...added some of her dvds to my collection..I remember my dad saying she came to Honolulu to visit during the War.

Oh man Sky King, Penny, Skyler, the Flying Crown Ranch, his Chrylser woody station wagon with the crown on the side, and his plane the Songbird. I loved that show.

If you remember that show that HBO had on a few years back called "Dream On"? The premise is this guy sat in front of 50's TV as a youngster, and everything that comes up in his life today gives him a flash back to a scene of a 50's TV show. I can't belive how much of that early TV is stuck in my 58 year old head. I'm almost ashamed that I can probably still sing all the words to the theme days songs that were on the old Mickey Mouse Club. Remember Circus Day, Anything Can Happen Day, Guest Star Day...oh lord it's all flashing before my eyes!

O O
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
If you remember that show that HBO had on a few years back called "Dream On"? The premise is this guy sat in front of 50's TV as a youngster, and everything that comes up in his life today gives him a flash back to a scene of a 50's TV show. I can't belive how much of that early TV is stuck in my 58 year old head.

Sorry to say in this age of hi-tech stuff, there still lurks amongst us a dinosaur (namely me) who hasn't gotten onboard to cable tv, and probably will be stuck in the tar pits for a while..there are so many other types of media for me to be turned on to..oh well, I digress

I'm almost ashamed that I can probably still sing all the words to the theme days songs that were on the old Mickey Mouse Club. Remember Circus Day, Anything Can Happen Day, Guest Star Day...oh lord it's all flashing before my eyes!

Yes, I remember Tuesday, Guest Star Day,

Today is Tuesday, you know what that means,
We're gonna have a special guest,
So, get out the broom, and sweep the place clean,
And dust out the mat, so the welcome can be seen
Ra Ra Ra put on your mousecaps and wiggle your ears ..give up with a big hooray,..what's next?

While we're on reminiscing and flashbacks, let's go off on a tangent:

How many of you have ever been to a musical group/band concert showcasing 50's, 60's and 70's groups, and who have you seen and enjoyed?

I'll start with a few that I've seen:
Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard all together on stage
Little Anthony and the Imperials,
Glen Barry,
the Rascals,
Shirelles,
The 5th Dimension,
The Platters,
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
[quote=wheel interested]Wish I had those genes. She is so vivacious. Pretty lady.

Here's a an autographed photo of Lois and Superman in her earlier days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LoisandSupeman.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	24755  
Old 08-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Yes, I remember Tuesday, Guest Star Day,

Today is Tuesday, you know what that means,
We're gonna have a special guest,
So, get out the broom, and sweep the place clean,
And dust out the mat, so the welcome can be seen

I just had a flashback:

Here's the rest as I remembered:
Roll out the carpet, strike up the band,
and give out(?) with a hip hooray(hip hooray)
Wiggle your ears like good mouseketeers,
We're gonna present our guest today
'Cause Tuesday is Guest Star Day..does that sound right?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Didn't we all have cowboy hats and pistols? Loved my Annie Oakley shirt, skirt, and boots with fringe!!

Here are my cousins Ken and Bonnie getting up close to Roy and Dale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	royanddale.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	24772  

photography
Old 08-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Didn't we all have cowboy hats and pistols? Loved my Annie Oakley shirt, skirt, and boots with fringe!!

My favorite cowgirl was Annie Oakley!!!!!! played by Gail Davis..I loved that she really was a geniune trick rider and a sharp shooter too!..when we went to Wyoming, we stopped at the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum complex..have you ever been there???my, my I went back there 2wice and spent about 4 hours just going through the different buildings and exhibits..

Funny thing too, while watching an Andy Griffith episode shortly after we returned to Sacramento, I saw an episode of Andy's girlfirend who could shoot all 25 clay pidgeons!..turns out that was Gail Davis!

Here are my cousins Ken and Bonnie getting up close to Roy and Dale.
I loved Roy Rogers and Dale Evans (loved the song Happy Trails too)..got to see their museum in Victorville just before they moved it to Branson, Missouri..in fact we stayed w/our Safari at a KOA..one of the worst campgrounds situated right next to a RR track..noisy, noisy, noisy..
Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I was wondering what the kids today watch.
When we were out with the new Bambi for the first time, Doug and I were sitting there looking at it and Doug was saying how space-age it would have looked to him when he was a kid. Then we got to talk about the old space shows, Star Trek, Lost in Space, and The Jetsons. We rented The Jetsons on Netflix and our kids (9 and 5) think it's fantastic. They can't believe they never heard of this great cartoon before.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Doug and Jamie,

Around our grown sons (29 and 33) and grandkids, we have to be verry careful about the different shows we used to watch..I constantly get this blank stare when they hadn't heard of the shows!..talk about showing our age!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Hi Doug and Jamie,

Around our grown sons (29 and 33) and grandkids, we have to be verry careful about the different shows we used to watch..I constantly get this blank stare when they hadn't heard of the shows!..talk about showing our age!
Yup, know the feeling. My kids (28, 9, and 5 ) think I had the strangest childhood. Remember The F.B.I. with Efrem Zimbalist Jr.? Dad wouldn't miss it. Jackie Gleason and The Honeymooners, Ed Sullivan Show, Leave it to Beaver. (Gosh, Wally!) And when I was really little I had a shirt just like the one Dr. Kildare had, and it was my favorite thing.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Remember The F.B.I. with Efrem Zimbalist Jr.? Dad wouldn't miss it. Jackie Gleason and The Honeymooners, Ed Sullivan Show, Leave it to Beaver. (Gosh, Wally!) And when I was really little I had a shirt just like the one Dr. Kildare had, and it was my favorite thing.[/quote]

Ok, now you've started it, Doug and Jamie,

Yes, Iremember Efrem, and the rest!..I loved Dr. Kildaire!!!!..who'd ever though he'd be so "changed" as I remember, not that there's anything wrong with that, you know..

How 'bout the Patty Duke Show?..and I know you're younger than me, you didn't mention boxing on Fridays, or The Lawrence Welk Show with the Lennon Sisters!..I went to see them perform several years ago at Branson, sure glad I did..now, the next generation has taken over..some of the original sisters aren't even in that foursome!..I loved their 4 part harmony!

I recently picked up the tv series dvd of Kwai Chang in Kung Fu..nothing like the Grasshopper and those zen sayings!!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Ok, now you've started it, Doug and Jamie,

Yes, Iremember Efrem, and the rest!..I loved Dr. Kildaire!!!!..who'd ever though he'd be so "changed" as I remember, not that there's anything wrong with that, you know..

How 'bout the Patty Duke Show?..and I know you're younger than me, you didn't mention boxing on Fridays, or The Lawrence Welk Show with the Lennon Sisters!
Oh yes, I remember The Lawrence Welk Show. But that wasn't one of the folks favorites, so it wasn't on much in our house. I loved Patty Duke and later, Kung Fu. "When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshoppa, it is time for you to go..."

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 08-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Oh yes, I remember The Lawrence Welk Show. But that wasn't one of the folks favorites, so it wasn't on much in our house. I loved Patty Duke and later, Kung Fu. "When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshoppa, it is time for you to go..."

-Jamie
Excellant Jaimie!..did you see the tangent thread I started? how 'bout adding any musical groups you got to see perform? or fav groups/singers/songs?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
how 'bout adding any musical groups you got to see perform? or fav groups/singers/songs?
You mentioned 5th Dimension. I saw their "Up Up and Away" concert, can't remember the year though. My uncle had tickets and couldn't use them and so he gave them to me and my sister. I didn't grow up in a large city, and we didn't go into the city much back then. We did go to the Ohio State Fair a few times, and I saw Herman's Hermits there. Talk about a blast from the past.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
By the time we got to Woodstock

Wouldn't it be great to have a theme forum rally? We can plan it online at the forum, all ideas and comments welcome... then have several locations planned simultaneously where there is interest.

I say we jump ahead from the barage of back to the 50s and move up to the 60s. Make it like a fair with our volunteers having vendor stands, food (3 course Campbells tv dinner anyone, fizzies, flavor straws) music playing (decent speakers and volume) and music swap meet, show us your collector's albums, trade and sell records, cds 8tracks?(anyone saavy enough and equipment enriched to crank out some mp3s on location or perhaps "arrange" an order?) Vintage clothing or look alike only! Prizes for the best presentation of nostalgia, collections, curiosities, year books, boards with pictures,art, etc. And have to have entertainment, put on a show with lip syncing instead of the usual movie and pot luck! Karioke, real dancing, and how about decorating a tent. And how about a keg and some cheap wine for sale Don't forget lighting...I have one of those projectors that throws the slide liquid blobs on the wall..psychedelic???

photography
Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #36

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Speaking of Woodstock, yesterday was the anniversary of either the start or end of the original event. Something like 37 years ago. I bought the DVD a few years back and sat our son down in front of it. I don't think he was impressed.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me

sing it Aretha... kids today aint got no soul!

sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me

photography
Old 08-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
[quote=wheel interested]Wouldn't it be great to have a theme forum rally? We can plan it online at the forum, all ideas and comments welcome... then have several locations planned simultaneously where there is interest.

Hi Carol,

I know nothing about rallies, but I was thinking along the lines of having a big gathering of airstreamers who'd get together and share the music too!..that would be great to get meet forum members and share rockin' good times!!..where would you hold the gatherings?..I'm here in Sacramento..if we could do it near the Coast, that would be super, then all the Surfer Dudes could start waxing their surf boards, get the skim boards out!!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
You mentioned 5th Dimension. I saw their "Up Up and Away" concert, can't remember the year though. My uncle had tickets and couldn't use them and so he gave them to me and my sister. I didn't grow up in a large city, and we didn't go into the city much back then. We did go to the Ohio State Fair a few times, and I saw Herman's Hermits there. Talk about a blast from the past.
We saw the 5th Dimension in the early 70's, can't even remember the year..but I was still dating (long, long time ago!!!)

I Love Herman's Hermits, especially their song: Kind of Hush and I'm into Something Good.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
I know nothing about rallies, but I was thinking along the lines of having a big gathering of airstreamers who'd get together and share the music too!..that would be great to get meet forum members and share rockin' good times!!..where would you hold the gatherings?..I'm here in Sacramento..if we could do it near the Coast, that would be super, then all the Surfer Dudes could start waxing their surf boards, get the skim boards out!!
Why not start a new thread to see who might be interested in a get together near Sacramento? Easterners could either use their handy coast (location E) or coast on out to yours. Ya know you have to quote the Beach Boys somewhere in that thread, lots to choose from! Or should it be the mamas and the papas for California Dreaming? That's all it takes for a rally. Throw it out there and see who runs to catch it. You might even have a super hero competition, just who looks best in tights and no showing identities from the waist up, wonder if the crowd could guess who's who, might even get a few spouses to misguess! LOL

photography