Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Like new or As new..........?

I have a real problem with the phrase above and it gets worse the older I get.

(I am not mentioning any names or locations or details of why I am writing this because this is only my opinion and others opinions may vary).

First, more and more I find pictures simply do not tell the truth in any way.......so we have to look and inspect for ourselves.

My definition of like new is simply............"Like New".

A car like new should be VERY close to the same exact car you locate on a new lot.

Of course we all know there are slight visual differences but not much in a like new car, camper, house etc.

A like new camper is not dirty, moldy, and dusty with spider webs under sinks etc.

A like new car has an almost perfect looking motor, interior etc.

As you might be able to tell.... I just experienced a "like new" sales pitch.

I am sorry if I come off as sounding mean but I really am tired of being let down because of this phrase.

Does anyone know why this happens other than the obvious thought that the seller actually thinks their for sale item is like new ?

Surely we are not that different in our visual interpetations ? Or are we...

Would you buy a like new dusty dirty car ? A like new moldy camper ?

I don't think so...........Rant off

Oh, my next rant will probably be about why people who try to sell something will not even try to clean it up.

I am actually amazed at some pictures I am seeing of for sale stuff lately........I saw a mower on craigs list for sale and the seller did not even pull the mower out from the knee deep grass that was growing all around it..........is this a new kind of advertising ?

You could not even make out where the mower was located... let alone the make and model.

BTW, this is a great forum with tons of very informative info. and very helpful people, thanks.

Mods, please delete this post if it does not fit here, thanks.

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Like new

Interesting observation. I sell some stuff on eBay now and then (buy more than I sell) and I recently posted an item that had only been used once. I was surprised to find that eBay no longer allows the term "like new" to be used in their titles.

No biggie, but the item I was selling really was "like new"--it was virtually indistinguishable from new, and in the original box, even.

The lack of the term "like new" didn't seem to hurt anything--I got more than I expected for it, and the buyer was happy with the transaction.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Very good.

I have bought many like new items and love to get them.

I have also seen many items listed as new or like new and been told items were like new while I was looking at them and honestly just did not try to point out the difference in a new item and their like new item for fear of making the seller mad.

I should not say anything and usually do not ever........but this time I drove a really long way in a lot of pain to look at an advertised as new camper.......only to find rusty storage boxes, moldy windows and numerous other things wrong that anyone could see were far from looking as new..........lessoned learned I hope....

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote