Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Do!

Have a good weekend.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I agree with your desire to upgrade your TV. The part I do not really get is why to go all the way to a 3/4 ton? A nicely selected 1/2 ton will tow your trailer and most other Airstreams just fine. And drive and ride better with out the trailer. And ride better than a Jeep. Me, I am a pickup guy. I do drive a 2500 every day but only because we like it to tow our 25 footer. I would probably drop back to 1/2 ton if I had to replace it. Trucks have changed. But the 1/2 tons still ride and driver easier than the 2500 trucks.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose View Post
Yes, the JGC is rated for 3500 lbs towing capacity. The Sport is 2860 lbs dry and coincidentally also has a 3500 lbs towing capacity. I am reading everywhere that it is not a good idea to be towing near capacity and best to tow at just 70% capacity maximum which would be 2450 lbs and which is less than the dry weight of the Sport. I could add an external engine cooling which would help, but I am still over the 70% limit regardless. My JGC may be fine on flat, but I want to be able to go into mountains. Thus, the need for a different TV.

At least the above is my current understanding of my situation.
Wrong Cherokee. The small one may be rated for 3500. The full size JGC is 6200 or 5000 depending on engine.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If I let the right brain win, eventually I will still die, and probably it won't be quick or painless.
If I have a massive stroke, heart attack or inoperable cancer and have a net worth of $2 million, the medical "profession" will keep me actively dying for months or years (until the money runs out).
If I blow enough of it AND have a good living will, I go to a hospice and kick.
My sister gets the Airstream, and the residue of my estate sends everyone on a nice vacation.
Yay for the left brain, sayeth the left handed woman.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Seven years ago we analyzed everything we could. Eventually got it down to either a pickup and Airstream or motor home and towed. More analysis. Finally decided on the MH and towed. Worked well for us for a couple of years, but experience told us that we should have gone with the Airstream and PU.

You bought what you thought would work at the time you bought it. Now that you have some experience under your belt you have a better idea of what would work for you. I get the idea that you don't think the combination you have is unsafe, but that you are perhaps a bit too close to the edge for your comfort. Use what you have while you search for a good deal on something better. Give some thought to the advantages and disadvantages of having a truck. Think, too, about what, if anything, you will get to cover the bed.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
I want to thank everyone for all of the wonderful ideas.

Here is my plan...

Keep my 16' Sport AS named Ruby Rose.

Use it immediately as a location for the start of my new very part-time professional writing career. This location is called the Ruby Rose Writing Room. My driveway overlooks my pond and lots of trees and a picnic table and a fire pit. Perfect location for learning more about living in this RV. Also, satisfies my need for an immediate logical purpose for this RV. And, if my writing career takes off, I will be able to deduct many RV and TV expenses.

Take local trips in the RV with my Jeep Grand Cherokee for fun and experience.

Look for a great deal on 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton Ram or Ford truck equipped well for towing over mountains. The 1/2 ton will work just fine with my current 16' Sport AS. But I am considering the 3/4 ton just in case I ever want to trade my RV up or just in case I need to bug out. (Yes, I think about those type of things.) For the latter, the 3/4 ton has more needed payload.

Attend rallies, travel more, minister to others (not sure how yet).

Then, when I leave this physical world, my kids get a super nice rig for their inheritance along with any money that MAY be left over.

Again, thanks everyone. I have much more clarity about my situation.

Happy Travels!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #27

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
My son works for Google. We're spending his inheritance!! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
My kids don't like us; we are spending their inheritance :-P~

We can't save all the time otherwise you become a miser, spend what you can afford and enjoy it.
Let the kids deal with how to liquidate the estate.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I think you should explore step 2.

IMHO you are going from step 1-not quite enough tow vehicle, to step 3-way more tow vehicle than you need.

Why do I say this?

Because generally as I understand things, ¼ ton trucks are more comfortable to ride in as they have independent rear suspension. ½ ton trucks have a solid rear suspension. So they have that hard truck ride.

Nearly any ¼ ton that you get with a tow package and standard towing options will tow any AS up to around 27 feet.

We owned a V-8 Honda Pilot when we were AS shopping and were looking at Bambis. It was rated to tow 5000#. We understood that being at the top of the rating, and having a vehicle that really wasn't engineered to be a tow vehicle did not make it a great choice. We traded for a Tundra before we got the AS. It was a 22 foot bambi and only needed a 5000 pound tow rated vehicle. (Shameless plug-I love my Tundra-It's my daily driver and I have had it 5 years and nearly 120K miles with no problems).

We since then have traded trailers twice but still have the Tundra. When it needs replacing, even though we have a 27 foot FC now we still will get another Tundra.

As to the Right brain Left brain issues--it's a hobby. Any hobbies that keeps you working out so you can lift things like coolers, generators, and gear, be in cadio shape to hike, and flexible and strong to be able sit and ride is good for the body. Any hobby with research and planning and exploring gets you mentally through the winters and drivel of the day to day. This is the value of the hobby. It is OK to spend your money on it. If you end out wanting out you really only risk the difference between what you paid and what you would sell out for. Not the whole 9 yards.

Have fun!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post

IMHO you are going from step 1-not quite enough tow vehicle, to step 3-way more tow vehicle than you need.

Why do I say this?

Because generally as I understand things, ¼ ton trucks are more comfortable to ride in as they have independent rear suspension. ½ ton trucks have a solid rear suspension. So they have that hard truck ride.

Nearly any ¼ ton that you get with a tow package and standard towing options will tow any AS up to around 27 feet.

We owned a V-8 Honda Pilot when we were AS shopping and were looking at Bambis. It was rated to tow 5000#. We understood that being at the top of the rating, and having a vehicle that really wasn't engineered to be a tow vehicle did not make it a great choice. We traded for a Tundra before we got the AS. It was a 22 foot bambi and only needed a 5000 pound tow rated vehicle. (Shameless plug-I love my Tundra-It's my daily driver and I have had it 5 years and nearly 120K miles with no problems).

We since then have traded trailers twice but still have the Tundra. When it needs replacing, even though we have a 27 foot FC now we still will get another Tundra.

As to the Right brain Left brain issues--it's a hobby. Any hobbies that keeps you working out so you can lift things like coolers, generators, and gear, be in cadio shape to hike, and flexible and strong to be able sit and ride is good for the body. Any hobby with research and planning and exploring gets you mentally through the winters and drivel of the day to day. This is the value of the hobby. It is OK to spend your money on it. If you end out wanting out you really only risk the difference between what you paid and what you would sell out for. Not the whole 9 yards.

Have fun!

Good point about hobbies. Any hobby that helps with fitness and with brain power is worthwhile and commendable. Thanks!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post

Why do I say this?

Have fun!

I should also add that I may very well need to go with a 1/2 ton truck because I am not finding any used (about 3-4 years old) 3/4 ton trucks with towing features near me. There are more choices with the 1/2 ton trucks. I did not know that the 1/2 tons are more comfortable than the 3/4 tons - important point to know. Thanks!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I should also add that I may very well need to go with a 1/2 ton truck because I am not finding any used (about 3-4 years old) 3/4 ton trucks with towing features near me. There are more choices with the 1/2 ton trucks. I did not know that the 1/2 tons are more comfortable than the 3/4 tons - important point to know. Thanks!
I think you’ll be happier with a 1/2 ton as a vehicle you drive frequently without a trailer. There are vast differences between the payload rating of 1/2 ton trucks. F150’s, for example, can vary from 1,200 lbs to 2,000 pounds depending on options. As a gross generalization, the nicer the truck, the lower the payload. I found the sweet spot in the Ford line to be the XLT with the 302 package. That gives you, with the Super Crew cab and short bed, a 1,800 lb payload but still a nicely equipped truck inside. That’s great for the trailer you have and is fine up to a 25’.

You can see the payload rating for any truck on the sticker on the driver’s door wall.

If you care about the Ford backup assist, I have noticed my 2019 trucks works vastly better than my 2016. Ford has been messing with the software it seems.

There may be some good deals on new 2019’s they are trying to get rid of. Contact the internet sales departments of the various dealers and get bids when you know what you want. I bought my new 2019 for only 5k more than I sold my 2016 for.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I towed my 16' Bambi with a Toyota Tacoma V6 with tow package just fine. Then traded that for the Jeep GC with tow package , again V6, just fine. And now have a FC 20' towed with the Jeep. I think either adding a cooler to your Jeep or getting a smaller truck like an F150 is fine for your needs. Overkill otherwise IMO. And be sure to add WD hitch to your set up.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #33

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Shoreview , Minnesota
From what I have observed, many AS owners eventually purchase larger trailers. If so with you down the road, you will be ahead of the game with the Ford F-250 or the RAM 2500. I’ve gone through similar thoughts when I purchased my first luxury sedan. I have never regretted it. Have fun!

Quote:
I just have a 16 foot AS Sport, but am thinking about getting a Ford F250 or Ram 2500. Although overkill, I feel that I will have total confidence when driving and that the extra payload could come in handy in bug out situations especially and that I may want to upgrade my AS in the future. I just do not feel safe in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no extra engine cooling (no towing package).

Here is my dilemma.

I am already feeling guilty for purchasing my RV as "extravagance." Now, I am having trouble justifying spending even more on a truck. My dominant left brain logically decides that the RV +TV is a huge cost just for "fun" rather than "necessity" and that I should sell my RV and get out of this expensive endeavor before sinking more money into this extravagance.

But, my neglected right brain exclaims that the plunge into paradise is a necessity that I cannot afford to miss. I have always been a saver (which helped to accumulate the necessary money for this endeavor and retirement) rather than a spender (which makes these purchases difficult). I keep thinking, "What if I ever need the money for something else?"

Anyone else have similar thoughts prior to purchasing RV + TV? How did you work through the conflict and proceed? (I assume you did proceed if you are here on these forums!) Thanks!
Kennepede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #34
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Andy at Can am RV tows AS 28's with Jeep Cherokee's, and people tow AS 34's with Honda Odyssey's.....IMHO a 3/4 ton pick up would beat the heck out of your AS16', as not enough weight on the receiver to damp suspension travel if bed of truck is empty.

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hi Ruby Rose,
If you’re looking for a TV that’s fun to drive and does an amazing job pulling an AS, you might want to check out the new 2019 Ford Ranger. We just bought a used AS 23FB in May this year and needed a TV that would fit into our garage. After much research, we settled on the new Ranger. Our personal experience: After over 4,000 miles in the Sierra Nevadas and Rockies, we’re getting 14mpg up and down the most difficult grades you’d want to travel. The 10 speed transmission gives incredible control up and down 8% grades. It’s rated 7,500# with the tow package, and our AS is close to 5,000#. This isn’t a commercial, tho it sounds like it. :-)
AZhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
you only go around once.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Page , Arizona
You need a tow package. If one can’t be added to your existing jeep, look for a used one which has it. I tow my 16’ Basecamp with a V6 Toyota Tacoma. As a 5’5” 75-year old gal, I like that I can reach into my truck bed to grab most things without a stepstool. I have the tow package and a small sway bar that just mounts on one side. I’ve been all over the US and live in the west, so mountain driving is a regular thing for me. Was just in Colorado and New Mexico at over 10,000’. Go for the fun. You only get this life once.
SlvrBllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
I towed my 16' Bambi with a Toyota Tacoma V6 with tow package just fine. Then traded that for the Jeep GC with tow package , again V6, just fine. And now have a FC 20' towed with the Jeep. I think either adding a cooler to your Jeep or getting a smaller truck like an F150 is fine for your needs. Overkill otherwise IMO. And be sure to add WD hitch to your set up.
I am glad that your TV is working well. Unfortunately, my Jeep GC does not have a tow package. (Sales person said it did, but it was only pre-wired). Even if I add a cooler, I will be dangerously close to towing at the maximum capacity (Jeep GC and 16' Sport towing capacities are both 3500 lbs, and the 16' Sport has dry weight of 2860 lbs. My understanding is that I should not exceed 70% of towing capacity which is less than the dry weight of the RV. I do have a WD hitch which adds quite a bit of weight.
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Andy at Can am RV tows AS 28's with Jeep Cherokee's, and people tow AS 34's with Honda Odyssey's.....IMHO a 3/4 ton pick up would beat the heck out of your AS16', as not enough weight on the receiver to damp suspension travel if bed of truck is empty.

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Oh no! I had no idea that you could buy "too much" in a TV and that by doing so, it would hurt the RV. Bummer! I really need to rethink my strategy. I am finding that it is really easy to make expensive mistakes in this hobby!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Como , Colorado
overkill. I tow my 16 ft Sport with Toyota Tacoma with off road tow package over Colorado Mt passes and never feel it is back there
judithk is offline   Reply With Quote