Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorialhq View Post
Got a good look at my nightly friend and if that is a coon it has a ratty face and beady eyes and someone took it's hair off it's tail and it is UGLY no fur sofa with that thing

That's a bummer. But you could do like Grannie on the Beverly Hillbillies & make some nice possom soup! Never tried it myself. Seems like it would be a bit greasy. I'm watching my cholesterol!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Could be a very BIG possum, sounds more like a possum than a coon. We have had some very big suckers around here in years past---be careful, they have sharp teeth and could be aggressive if poked too hard with something like--a crutch.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

I have seen a possum in the Santa Cruz mountains that was as big as a medium-size dog once. It was by far the ugliest creature I have ever seen.
BTW, ALWAYS make sure you are not dealing with a skunk before you bother setting a trap. They are rather difficult to dispose of!
The sofa will get into the Airstream one way or another, unless it won't fit through the door, in which case you probably bought it at a non-rv furniture store. I'd go with the rv sofa myself, as most house front doors are 36" wide, but you are dealing with much less room to get through- more like 25-1/2" or so.

Happy streaming!
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Anchorage , Alaska
first timer locked in

we are first times as well- living in our 1981 31ft for this winter...but i am alone every 2 weeks for 2 weeks so my husband can work to afford this for us...and i have had my share of things happen already since mid october when we started-the first mishap for me was when i became locked in the camper and had to call the sheriff for help to get out...things seems to happen when i am by myself...like a flat tire on the camper that was replaced and followed by another flat...have had my days when i wondered what were we thinking? then had days when i would rather be camping with a flat tire instead of dealing with the winter weather back home
our mishaps are blogged at: Airstreaming Adventures
you are not alone! take care
akflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

I am glad that you are having some adventure

There....you have my vote of confidence

I have possum and skunk living on my land. Once I reached down to pet my cat and pet a possum. Mostly they just run from you. If they frighten you, don't leave food out. Your dog may keep critters away, and your dog will warn you if any critters are around. I like possum even though they look funny. I really like the skunks, If you don't threaten them they are very sweet animals. Kinda pretty.

Best wishes and I hope more adventure comes your way. You are more prepared for it now.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
With all the critter stories in this thread, I HAVE to tell this story. When my wife was a teenager, her grandparents had a shiny new Airstream motorhome. They used to travel all over the southeast and took the grandkids with them during the summers. They were staying in a campground in Myrtle Beach when a large female tiger escaped from the local zoo. The tiger ended up in the campground they were staying in. My wife's grandfather had gone off to run errands and she and her grandmother decided to take a nap. Sometime during their nap, my wife was awakened by something gently rocking the motorhome. She opened the back window curtains to investigate only to be face to face with a HUGE bengal tiger!! The big kitty eventually lost interest in trying to open the big silver tube and plopped down to relax in the shade of their awning. Keep in mind, this was in a time before everyone had a cell phone, so my wife and her grandmother were trapped inside the motorhome until someone finally noticed the tiger and called the zoo. I never would have believed this story had I not seen photos of the skin on the motorhome with very obvious claw marks! Let's just say that it took me a while to convince Sara that getting an Airstream and spending a lot of time camping was a good idea!
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
That's a bummer. But you could do like Grannie on the Beverly Hillbillies & make some nice possom soup! Never tried it myself. Seems like it would be a bit greasy. I'm watching my cholesterol!
Possum soup coming up you got the cornbread

Nope have not bought a sofa yet... still looking... have several obastacles to over come though that most do not have. Think Pottery Barn has a sofa that will go through the door... they are coming out to measure it all and make sure. I tried again on the RV sofa but could not get anyone to say they would install it and remove the old one I like the leather flexsteel one really but can't get any help on it
Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Sounds like a Possum.
Yepper that is my ugly friend and all food is gone..besides I feed the dogs taste of the wild will be dog gone mad to keep feeding this creature expensive dog food.... sure glad it is not a tiger that would not be fun.

I am getting really prepared for different adventures at least in the Semi most the crazy things were the lot lizards ... nasty buggers they are...glad to know there are many others on the first time being FT ..it is different in a way
Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Other Considerations

Quote:
Possum soup coming up you got the cornbread

Nope have not bought a sofa yet... still looking... have several obastacles to over come though that most do not have. Think Pottery Barn has a sofa that will go through the door... they are coming out to measure it all and make sure. I tried again on the RV sofa but could not get anyone to say they would install it and remove the old one I like the leather flexsteel one really but can't get any help on it
At least possums are sulky and slow moving. They're easier to deal with that way.

Back to the sofa. Where are your batteries and univolt? The ones in my 1983 34' Excella are under the sofa, see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html for photos with the sofa removed. That means that most normal home sofas would not fit where the RV sofa that came in it does. Something to be aware of. (Boy, it seems like I'm always raining on your parade. It's not intentional I assure you. Just that I've looked these same issues myself.)

I think your best bet might be to stay with a RV sofa and search for a good RV tech to handle the installation. Remember, you can take a little time on the sofa and move your house to the tech if needed.

I've been following your threads. Good stuff. Keep up informed, and best of luck always.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
At least possums are sulky and slow moving. They're easier to deal with that way.

Back to the sofa. Where are your batteries and univolt? The ones in my 1983 34' Excella are under the sofa, see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html for photos with the sofa removed. That means that most normal home sofas would not fit where the RV sofa that came in it does. Something to be aware of. (Boy, it seems like I'm always raining on your parade. It's not intentional I assure you. Just that I've looked these same issues myself.)

I think your best bet might be to stay with a RV sofa and search for a good RV tech to handle the installation. Remember, you can take a little time on the sofa and move your house to the tech if needed.

I've been following your threads. Good stuff. Keep up informed, and best of luck always.
I got the umbrella out this time before I read your post The battery box stuff is under the bench at the dinette thing now that was a storm on my parade as I was going to rip that sucker out too...but under the sofa is empty... See what I found was the old fart furniture that lifts but I don't think that will work either. really there is nothing wrong with the sofa in here but the way you sit on it I lose the feeling in my legs so somehow it is pushing on where I have a injury then the fact I can't get up very well .. going back to the RV furniture.. will have to search for another rv tech ... or wait for the Marines to return.. but they may make it look like a barrack.
That Possum has friends or something but I got a live trap tonight ... DH is not doing well so I have to figure out how to get rid of the creature..
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We have two matching recliners and love them. They are just regular furniture and are not even permanently attatched-heavy enough not to move around when we are on the road. Might be just the ticket for you.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
I like the recliner idea. Not sure what is to come though. Hubby is back in the hospital.. guess it is time for me to be real as I am not upbeat and positive I tried but I am hurting and bad. See I had a service dog if I fell she got my phone,if the phone rang she got it she did a lot of things for me... well my beloved dog died on Sunday and then today I am losing my DH .. I guess our trips are just dream trips.. my ideas on making the AS like what he wanted is a dream as well. I guess I might as well sell it, so will not do any more to it and the reason is I can't do all this and I knew when I came here just I wanted so much for him to enjoy what we have together... I did not realize the clock is about to stop. I am sorry to all of you for making it appear I was on top and control of all this... I did try and I thank each of you for your input/support on this journey that I so tried to put together... I am sure some think I am nuts but we can do odd stuff when faced with limited time. Dannie and Jo thank you so much for the messages and keeping me in some form of not being insane. Dang I wrote a book again... sorry I am never been alone and not sure what to do.. I did try to go to be with DH and got confused ended up somewhere else glad I didn't get caught then could not remember where AS was
I think I may get a dog to protect ... I am a bit scared and hearing noises
Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

I'm sorry for all the hard times you are going through now. I wish you all the best, and ask you to remember that you have friends here whenever you need them.
Try to take it one step at a time.
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I too am sad to hear of all your difficulties. You are one of us now, please keep us informed.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #35
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Hang in there girl! We have all are routing for you. Difficult times can make you stronger. Take it a minute at a time. And, remember, even though we are not physically there with you, we are here for you.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
I did try to go to be with DH and got confused ended up somewhere else glad I didn't get caught then could not remember where AS was
I think I may get a dog to protect ... I am a bit scared and hearing noises
Don't fret too much about this incident. That you're able to function at all is a miracle. Remember to live in the moment and not stress too much about the future. You do NOT have to make ALL of the big decisions right this minute. Be with your husband while you can. That is the only thing you have to do right now.

Later you will have plenty of time, and it will feel like much to much time. The best advice anyone can give you is to not make huge decisions for at least a year. Do get involved in a support group. Do try to get another service dog. Do stay in touch with your new friends here.

Don't try to be cheerful when you're not feeling like it, but don't forget that there are grace notes even in the deepest grief. You can still enjoy a phone call from a friend, a cloudless day or a spring crocus. Don't beat yourself up if you have a happy hour or two.

I hope your husband rallies, but if not may he pass without pain.

Paula
Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Thanks

Thank you for reminding me that it's ok to follow your dreams.
I think that you will look back, and have a good feeling that you
followed your dreams.

My heart goes out to you in these sad times.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So sorry to hear of the very difficult situations you are facing. You are in our thoughts and we send you positive karma to help you through.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Our hearts and prayers are with you. The folks here will always be available to you for any support you may need. Concentrate on your love for your hubby DH, and let God take care of the rest.

Take care, Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #40
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Gee, I was scrolling though here looking to see if anybody had suggested simply getting your old sofa reupholstered in leather, but it now looks like that may be the least of your worries. I hope your hubby will be back in the trailer soon. These trailers can get real quiet, and a companion, either 2 or 4 legged, helps keep the boogeyman at bay.
Here's a picture of a standard Airstream sofa reupholstered in leather, if nothing else it might take your mind off the next thing to go bump in the night:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	079.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	92297   Click image for larger version

Name:	062.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	92298  

Click image for larger version

Name:	066.JPG