Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lead a snot into Temptation...

When I was about 3, I embarassed my mother by misunderstanding the prayer, but I've used the phrase deliberately since then.

I went to the RV show in Atlantic City this weekend. Talk about "into temptation". Wow.

I went past the Colonial Airstream display deliberately. Everything I looked at, made me love the 'streams more. I spent my last hour drooling on aluminum.

I'm torn between the Safari Special Edition 25 FB and the 28ft CCD. Sooner or later, Something is gonna give....

Anyone looking to buy a gently used 22ft CCD (blue streak) with an upgraded innerspring mattress....?

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am right there with you Paula! I was surfing the known Airstream dealer sites the other night and came across a 31' Classic WBCCI 50th anniversary edition...good thing my pockets are empty at the moment...it was nice! with the price to match

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Paula -- I hear ya. The 28' is tempting. What sold me on the 25' is a desire in fitting into more backcountry state & national forest slots. The width and height of full-size Airstreams makes me consider carrying a pole saw & lopper to keep from scratching that Clearcoat....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Paula -- I hear ya. The 28' is tempting. What sold me on the 25' is a desire in fitting into more backcountry state & national forest slots. The width and height of full-size Airstreams makes me consider carrying a pole saw & lopper to keep from scratching that Clearcoat....
Sounds like lyrics from 'The Sloup John B.' But I digress........

Those implements should be standard issue with every new A/S. I used to carry them always....ladder too......in my '98 Monaco Dynasty MoHo.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Cool 28 vs 25 CCD

I don't like having the bathroom right next to my face when sleeping. Also I'm not skinny and getting in and out of the bathroom is tight for anyone in the 25 CCD. I wonder why they didn't consider using a pocket door that would go back into the bathroom wall in that model.

The bathroom is much better placed in the 22ft wet bath, front bed or the 28ft full bath. Now the 25FB SS has the full bath, and it's cool as all get out, but I'd rather have a full blown CCD than a hybrid Safari/CCD. I confess I've really grown to like the dark wood (laminate). I also REALLY like the big lobster bowl sink. The two tiny standard sinks are too small to wash anything big in. I might go for the 25FB if I could get the big sink.

I also saw a CCD with the Willow Grass interior; and I kinda like it. A lot. Maybe I should just order willow grass cushions from Jackson Center and "redecorate" mine. Gotta do somethin... got aluminitis bad!

Tin Lizzie, Airstream Dreaming in Virginia
Old 03-13-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Taking the step up to 28'

I completely understand where Canoe Stream is coming from regarding park camp sites. I researched RV length limits at all our favorites parks (state and national) and verified that the 28' was OK. And after comparing the 25' SE FB, 25' SS SE and the 28' SE next to each other on Saturday we're faxing in our 28' SE order tomorrow (just have to get clear on the satellite radio as we already have an XM investment). The 25' SE FB is wonderful but we wanted more storage. The 25' SS SE is the same floor plan as our CCD and Paula is correct regarding the bathroom facilities. It's a tip toe knee knocker if you decide you want to shut the door and sit (sorry for all that information...). So the cats are going to love the new carpet covered bedroom.
-Ken
Old 03-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
and one more thing...

We managed to scrape a little clear coat on the 25' CCD on a beautiful NM pine branch. Trees happen.
-Ken
Old 03-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Storage

Hi Ken -- The twin bed 25' FB does the queen bed version one better (3 rather than one outside storage compartment -- see 2006 Safari Special Editions. But the twins are not everybody's piece of cake. I really, really do like the 28' layout though. Congrats on your amazing good taste and new order!!!

You've come a long way from your Switching to Diesel thread! As have I!! (Ain't we glad we have long term watchers of these threads!!! )

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 03-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Who's towed both 25 & 28?

Am I getting over confident? I've found towing the 22 ft CCD very easy. How much tougher would a 25 be (25FB SE)? And compared to that a 28 CCD?

I've got the right tow vehicle, a 2500 Suburban. I could continue full timing in my 22 CCD, but having a more separate bedroom would be nice, especially when using it for business.

BTW, I did see one thing I liked in an SOB, a free standing table for a dinette. Nice if you sew, etc and need extra room for the regular machine and serger. When traveling the table has to be put down in the bed position. Another benefit is that you can take the table outside too. Might be a good modification to do on general principles. Saves you from having to carry another "camp table".

Tin Lizzie

Paula
Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
22' to 28'

Paula,
We had the 22' CCD for 10 months and enjoyed it for long weekends.....but when we took a 35 day trip, it became too confining......causing us to rethink our space needs. We miss the desk in the 22' and the larger kitchen counter space also. The 28' CCD definitely is more comfortable for the two of us......and would probably be just the ticket for a single!
It's been no problem towing with our 2500 Avalanche (similar to 2500 Burb)
Interesting you mention sewing.....my wife is an avid quilter.
Here are some pics of how she handled that in both the 22' and 28' CCD's!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small2361.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	19328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3295small.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	19329  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Paula,

I've only towed our 28' CCD.

I have read that the dual axel models are actually easier to tow.

We used to pull it with a Durango which has a relatively short wheelbase (119") and never had any problems with it.

I would think your 2500 Suburban would be a good match.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Jim, that looks like a perfect table and for using outside as Paula said. Is that available at Camping World? Where does your wife store her sewing machine and table?

Paula, I love your story of lead a snot into temptation. When we had a sob and went from 21 to 26, it was not so difficult adjusting. The dealer said think of adding a couch length behind you. We test drove one first to be sure. The shocker for me was getting out at gas stations and then walking waay around it. It seemed large for an adjustment time. Bigger actually towed nicer with the extra weight. I do think the extra width and length of a 28' will cause you to feel manuevering differences in parking, toll booths, gas stations and such, but towing should not be much different. I have never towed a 28' however.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Paula -- Trailer width between the 22' & the 25' should be similar to our step up from the Argosy to the 25'. An 8'6" wide trailer really changes the view to the rear! Otherwise, with a properly adjusted brake controller and good WD gear it tows nicely.

Carol -- The table? www.solutionscatalog.com -- item #68166, $29.95. It is light and adjustable in height from 21" to 28". It seems like a foam core laminated inside a thin plastic shell, so the surface dents a bit but it is stable, sturdy .. and did I say very light? We bought one for the Argosy -- a better solution than the foldaway 50# table that came with our ol' Beluga.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 03-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Carol, I can't remember where we bought it (not CW) .......I think it was one of those specialty catalogs and my wife's not here to help me out!
BTW.....have you decided on a TV yet?

Paula, you probably know the 22' & 28' both have tandem axles.....Dennis eluded to the 22' had single axle.......and you do need more room to back into sites with the 28', but other than needing more room, it's not any harder to back a 28'.
I'd also look at the windows on the 25' FB.....which don't open very far (unlike the CCD). That would be an issue with me!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Paula,
We had the 22' CCD for 10 months and enjoyed it for long weekends.....but when we took a 35 day trip, it became too confining......causing us to rethink our space needs. We miss the desk in the 22' and the larger kitchen counter space also. The 28' CCD definitely is more comfortable for the two of us......and would probably be just the ticket for a single!
It's been no problem towing with our 2500 Avalanche (similar to 2500 Burb)
Interesting you mention sewing.....my wife is an avid quilter.
Here are some pics of how she handled that in both the 22' and 28' CCD's!
I've used the desk to sew at in the 22 and I already have that little folding table! I found it at Sam's Club. Handy! Bigger than a tray table, but light and easy to set up and take down. I use a serger a lot, so I tried to set both up at the dinette, one on each side of the table. That works OK, but only if you remove the cushions from the dinette. First, it stops you from getting thread and fabric fuzz all over the upholstery then having to use a lint roller to remove it, and second you can slide in and out easier... going from one machine to the other. Even the little snaps aren't noticable.

The disadvantage is NO space to lay out and cut fabric, in the 22. I tried it on the dinette table, but it's a PITA. Finally stripped the bed and did it on the bare mattress (wouldn't have been fun if I'd cut into the down comforter, now would it?)

However in most campgrounds there is some kind of social hall, etc. where you can cut out patterns.

Tin Lizzie
Old 03-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Windows on the 25 FB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
I'd also look at the windows on the 25' FB.....which don't open very far (unlike the CCD). That would be an issue with me!
Doesn't the FB SE have the rivited windows? Arrgh. I just looked at them both at the Atlantic City RV show and now I can't remember. Guess I'll go to Colonial Airstream's web site next.

Boy, I contacted the one Airstream dealer in VA (Safford RV) and they don't know sh** about Airstreams. They just started to sell them a year or two ago, but they've been selling a ton of SOB's for many, many years.

I'll probably buy out of state again rather than deal with virgins.

T.L.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Paula, the 25' FB comes both in the traditional Safari style with the smaller crank windows and the cloth walls and headliner, or the SE edition with the aluminum interior and the International/Classic full opening windows, which also adds the rear (and front as an option) panoramic wrap window, which was the deal breaker that we fell in love with!

Bob thanks for the link and Jim too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
So All Y'all, who has bought from Colonial Airstream in NJ? Any stories? I'm thinking I could get a better deal on the FB SE in VA, but if I go with the 28 it will be much less if I go to Colonial. Comments?

Paula
Old 03-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Paula. I haven't had much dealings with Safford, but my PO bought my trailer new from them back in '97 - so they've been around for awhile. Maybe you talked with the wrong guy up there?

But then, if you hit one dud - maybe that's aplenty.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Boy, I contacted the one Airstream dealer in VA (Safford RV) and they don't know sh** about Airstreams. They just started to sell them a year or two ago, but they've been selling a ton of SOB's for many, many years.
I'll probably buy out of state again rather than deal with virgins.
T.L.
Hi Paula,

In defense of Safford, they have been selling Airstreams for as long as I've been living in Fredericksburg, over 18 years now. They have been in their new location for 2 years. They have a knowledgable sales staff and I get all my service done there. They may or may not like being called virgins though!

Safford doesn't carry a full inventory like Colonial does. I bought my CCD from Colonial for that reason. If I had more time, I would have ordered from Safford though. FYI, Colonial has only been selling Airstreams for about 4 years.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote