Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Nuvi, when I was in law school, there were a few clinics with some pretty limited real experience. The state's highest court wasn't friendly to this and I imagine the same was true elsewhere. There was a course in "trial technique" which I didn't take, so I was let out into the real world to be hired by an unsuspecting city government. I think there are more clinics now and some students have always worked part time or summers for law firms (I was remodeling a house and teaching history part time at a local college). When I looked into going to law school in Ontario many years ago, the process included 1 1/2 years of apprenticeship after 3 years of law school—it was called articleship—and only then could you take the Ontario bar exam. I don't know if I would have had to wear a white wig also.

At one time lawyers "read the law" as apprentices for lawyers. Eventually they went to the local state court judge and asked to be admitted to the bar; go to another county, get admitted again. Around the turn of the last century law schools started to pop up to teach the theory of law and how to do research. Also it was important to understand something of all areas of law instead of only that area you were learning as an apprentice. Bar exams were created and lawyers started to get admitted statewide. The degree was Ll.B., bachelor of law, and some students didn't go to undergraduate college, some went for 2 years, some got a bachelors degree and then went to law school.

In the 1960's, lawyers started lobbying to have the degree changed to J.D., juris doctor (doctor of laws), so we would feel better about ourselves and others with doctorates would respect us. Ironically, the next degree was an Ll.M., master of law, and there's another higher degree called a doctorate (possibly called Ll.D.)—this doesn't make sense and maybe by now someone has figured that out.

So we now have doctorate inflation and what will the next degree be called? Grand Vizier? High Muck-a-muck?

Which reminds me of this take on an old song:

Everybody loves a doctor,
And I'm in love with me,
Call me doctor!
Call me doctor!

Now far off topic, but I suppose the relationship is that when you get your knees done, you hope for someone who knows what to do to help you regardless of how many letters they have after their name.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Just got a "Ryder Triathlon" knee prosthesis put in 6 days ago, and I've got to get stronger pain meds because when I stand up the pain level rockets from 0 to 9 in a second! That pain is worse than the PT pain- anyone else having this issue? -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Just got a "Ryder Triathlon" knee prosthesis put in 6 days ago, and I've got to get stronger pain meds because when I stand up the pain level rockets from 0 to 9 in a second! That pain is worse than the PT pain- anyone else having this issue? -tim
Yep.

It's the surgery, then physical therapy, then back to the docs, more therapy, and more therapy.

After about 8 months, it became tolerable, but most importantly, far better than the original knee.

Walking, without limping, takes a little concentration.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
You are right Andy, it does take concentration to walk without limping, what I also refer to as waddling. I'm two months into the bilateral, and am very happy at how well I am getting around. But still do have discomfort when I have done too much. Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had my right knee scoped about 3 weeks ago. I am walking fine. I walked out of the surgical center unassisted. Some swelling for a week or so, some pain though not much. Healing takes energy and that slows me down more than the pain I still feel at time—planting my foot and turning my body is definitely not fun, but I forget to watch for that. Still using some ice and ibuprofen. I never had to use the Vicodin I was given. Now I have a little less cartilage and hopefully less pain when healing is complete.

This is nothing like a knee replacement and I hope never to have to have that done. I don't like lying around and would be the worst of patients. To tphan and others who have had major knee surgery, I hope you heal fast, PT is not too bad, and the pain eases quickly.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Hiking again!

Just over 8 weeks after my partial...hiked again. At the 4CU get together at Picacho Peak, just a few miles, all off pavement and with just enough hills to make it fun...feels great.
I did have some minor swelling, some soreness but no pain. Best of all, the stability is fantastic. This was my greatest concern and desire for my fix. Back to PhysTherapy and see the Doc next week. Hope to be back to full duty by end of month, Lord willing and that river don't rise!

Tim, sorry to hear about the pain. I was under "heavy" stuff for the first few weeks, no pain meds now but still struggling with the sleep thing though being in an Airstream and camping helps!.
The best to ya all, our stories like our knees...unique.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I started taking Glucosamine MSN several months ago, on the recommendation of my wonderful chiropractor.

It has made a significant difference in the comfort level of both knees, one of which has no cartilage left and areas of dead bone. Over the counter at Walgreen's, buy one get one free.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Just visited the doc today. As I have know for some time I would require knee replacement.
Today the doc said - I would have to have both knees replaced, and suggested that it could be done at one time.
Anyone had both knees done at the same time?
Looking for your thoughts - help!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had both knees replaced at the same time in Mar of 2009 and it worked out perfect. The doc said it would take 1 1/2 hrs to do one and 2 hrs to do both. I an glad that I had both done and I was 77 at the time. havent regreted it at all. Just make sure you pick the best Dr there is.
Good luck nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote