Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #441
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Bidarka is done--love it on the water. Did I say it took six days? Maybe I should add a day for making the paddle and sewing on the coaming rope. The boat isn't perfect, but it's perfect for some things. Can't wait for DOORGUNNER's critical review.

The second photo is a camping spot about 30 miles north of Gerlach, NV, a totally unexpected lake in the desert, big enough for real kayaking...and fishing (trout, catfish).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0367 roger in bidarka-s.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	168408

Name:	P1010794 day camp-s.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	168409
Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #442
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Zep, I like both pics, Really like the second one. Nice!
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #443
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
FORT WORTH!!!
Been wondering where you went to!!
New job? retired?
I paddled the sof today, Zep was in my Night Heron, We paddled an accelerated pace 2000 meters. Zep beat me by 2 minutes!!
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #444
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
...I paddled the sof today, Zep was in my Night Heron, We paddled an accelerated pace for 2000 meters. Zep beat me by 2 minutes!!
Yep, the bidarka isn't a speed boat. Hope it's good at surfing. Next one needs to be longer and a bit narrower. Tim's Night Heron was like paddling a glider.

Zep
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #445
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
Be sure to look at Sterling Kayaks,especially the Illusion, Ice Kao, Reflection. I own the Grand Illusion and it fits very well, is great on flat water and handles rough conditions extremely well. Zigi
The Sterling kayaks look great - looks like a great boat. And the video clip surfing in them was purely awesome!!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #446
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Brad;
I'll be paddling with Sterling this weekend at Lake Tahoe. He's bringing his new design down for a big paddle event sponsored by my friend Dan @ Headwaters Kayak in Lodi.
Why don't you fly out for a fun weekend!
Reg Lake will be with Sterling, these guys are a blast to hang out with, and they both like cupcakes and beer. lol Lake Tahoe Road Trip | Facebook
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #447
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
FORT WORTH!!!
Been wondering where you went to!!
New job? retired?
I paddled the sof today, Zep was in my Night Heron, We paddled an accelerated pace 2000 meters. Zep beat me by 2 minutes!!
Hi Tim,
Some of both. I guess they call it semi-retired? I'm back in Paso Robles this week, twin granddaughters born last week.
Love the boat pics!
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #448
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Brad;
I'll be paddling with Sterling this weekend at Lake Tahoe. He's bringing his new design down for a big paddle event sponsored by my friend Dan @ Headwaters Kayak in Lodi.
Why don't you fly out for a fun weekend!
Reg Lake will be with Sterling, these guys are a blast to hang out with, and they both like cupcakes and beer. lol Lake Tahoe Road Trip | Facebook
Lucky you!!!

You'll meet one of the finest people in the world! Enjoy! ...Sterling!.....and the kayaks. I have the Grand Illusion and next week we travel to Bellingham to pick up my wife's Ice Kap. Fantastic boats! Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #449
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Nice boats Zigi

Hi Brad

How much money are you willing to spend lol? I put 12' (35 lbs) and 17.5' (49 lbs) sea kayaks on the roof of my crew cab. I use a Yakima rack with saddles in the front and rollers in the back. I lay a towel on my tailgate and slide the boat on the tailgate up to the rollers, and then onto the saddles. Piece of cake. I have carried the boats this way for well over 10,000 miles with no problems (knock on wood).

I know HowieE loves his Thule Hullavator. .
Do you have pics of your setup or a video of you loading? I just bought an Outback and would like the option of loading it on top of my Tundra double cab so I can still keep stuff in the pickup bed. Was looking at Hullavator but think my truck may be too high for it.

Thanks.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #450
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Zigi;
Sterlings been coming to the Tahoe event for a few years now. He and I exchange idea's on building and techniques. You must be a good size guy if you paddle the Grand Illusion!.His new boat is aimed at the smaller statured paddler.The Ice Kap is a nice ride.
If you've not had the pleasure of meeting Reg you should ! He has a hobby of making way funny utube movies.Sterling and I also share interest in experimental aircraft, I need to get up that way to pick thru his "cut off" bin!
Dave;
2 at once huh, can't even imagine that.
Everyone else;
Paddle , paddle paddle
also, Dan at Headwaters has a used pair of Hullavators for $350. I seen um yesterday.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #451
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
Here is my Eddyline Caribbean sit-on-top kayak.... I know it belongs in the water....but, taking a photo is LOTS easier on land! Paddled Folsom Lake today in it!
Just spoke with an Eddyline rep for our region and learned that they are soon to release a 14' version of the Caribbean.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #452
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
I'll be paddling the 14 caribbean saturday at Tahoe, yup, Dan at Headwaters is getting the first one! wonder if it has anything to do with his son being n the new brochure! lol
Eddylines are first cabin kayaks! the fit and finish is nice. I'll bring my scale and get the weight on the 14 C. This new boat has a lot of nice features, the center console is something many fisherman must have. I'll give my review next week! Hopefully the wind will come up at Tahoe and we'll have a variety of conditions.
Warbler 5 got her boat at Headwaters!!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #453
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
I'll be paddling the 14 caribbean saturday at Tahoe, yup, Dan at Headwaters is getting the first one! wonder if it has anything to do with his son being n the new brochure! lol
Eddylines are first cabin kayaks! the fit and finish is nice. I'll bring my scale and get the weight on the 14 C. This new boat has a lot of nice features, the center console is something many fisherman must have. I'll give my review next week! Hopefully the wind will come up at Tahoe and we'll have a variety of conditions.
Warbler 5 got her boat at Headwaters!!
I look forward to it. It will be interesting to see the weight increase for the additional 2', given the 12' boat is 45#.

-Chris
Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #454
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Do you have pics of your setup or a video of you loading? I just bought an Outback and would like the option of loading it on top of my Tundra double cab so I can still keep stuff in the pickup bed. Was looking at Hullavator but think my truck may be too high for it.

Thanks.
Hello,
I have a f150 super cab 2010 4x4 with a ERA canopy and installed the hullavator on Thule rack system. Do not install hullavator on round Yakima bar system. I have a hobie revo 11 and absolutely love this kayak .About 57 pds. The weight of outback is close to the limit of hullavator. However,if you adjust the kayak to midpoint of weight,you can make the outback work. The hullavator is not perfect but works really well. I use a 12 in step stool for the the last push after the struts place the kayak near the rack. After shoulder replacement,this apparatus has made kayaking possible. By the way,the new outback is really inproved over the 2006 version my wife had and I was hard pressed to choose between the revo or outback. After many different kayaks,the Revo is a revalation and the peddle drive a life saver. With the addition of turbo fins,the speed allows me to keep up with those somewhat younger. Ok! for a half hour anyway.
The use of a canopy gives one many options and provides protection for whatever you store inside. The Lear metal canopy is very strong. Anyway,kayaking should be fun and the hullavtor with Hobie should reduce the stress.Have fun
Pete
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #455
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hullavator and outback

Thanks, Pete. I appreciate the info. Glad you love your Revolution. I am very excited about the Outback. I am a big fly fisher so am hoping to outfit it for fishing. It is replacing an Outcast Pontoon boat we have. I tried the kayak at a demo day and fell in love with it. To me the big benefit is the hands free Mirage drive.

Thanks for the idea on how to load it when towing my AS. maybe I can find someone local who will let me try the hullavator...

Cheers.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #456
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

Thanks.
I just slide the 17 footer on the tailgate, and up to to roof. The last picture is how my wife loads kayaks. Hope this helps, good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0925.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	168768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0926.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	168769  

Name:	DSCN0928.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	168770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0929.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	168771  

Name:	DSCN0930.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	168772   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0931.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	168773  

Name:	DSCN0932.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	168774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0933.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	168775  

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #457
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Think I figured it out! At the risk of looking like Mad Max, I am using a Thule rack over the cab at the same time as using my TracRac with a (Yamaha?) rack on it - for carrying our fire pit, fire wood, stuff that isn't offended by being in open air.

The challenge I had was loading the boats - and not having access at the tailgate to load. I think this is going to work great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	168813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	168814  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #458
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
boat reports!

Geepers I'm a lucky paddler.
I paddled 2 new Eddyline designs this weekend and 2 Hobie sailing tri's.
The 14 foot Carribean is a stretched out 12. only weighs 3 lbs. more than the 12. That would be 48 lbs for this particular boat. It did not have the center rod holder hatch yet installed. This 14 has a lot more room in front of you than the 12. It paddles like a sit on top altho the Eddylines are a bit faster than all the other RM SOT's.and more responsive,
Also paddled Eddyline's NEW Raven! Fun boat, surfs easy, turns quick when edged, tons of room in the cockpit,and as always FIRST CABIN finish. A real nice kayak for messin around in waves, rivers,well I like moving water and I like this boat.
I sailed a brand new Hobie Mirage single. First , the pedal power is nice to have when the wind dies or excedes your sailing skills. just remove the block off and insert the pedals, roll furl the main and off you go.
Everything on this boat is easy to use, great combo boat for those looking for that stuff. I don't think it does anything exceptional, but does all designed things well. (paddle, pedal,sail).
Then jumped into the Mirage Tandem. This is a great boat for instructing. dual controls, stable, roomy.The mast and roller furling system worked very well. In a 14 mph wind,gusting 20 we were able to attain 10 mph on a reach. The lower ama was just barely submerged altho the aka did not dip in. any way when the
ama goes down with speed it's a very wet ride! way fun.
I would consider these 2 Hobie's as great crossover kayaks, if that exists. Trying to get a compromise between sailing and Kayaking and then throw the pedal drive into the mix, well you get it.
Best of 4 -- The Raven - hands down my favorite. The Caribbean would make a fine fishing platform but I would really have one to put my crab traps in.
The Hobies are compromises and pretty well done.All they need is larger diameter sheaves on the mainsail sheet system.
So those are my comments, I'm sure others will have their own thoughts.
The nice thing about the Hobies is that they are easily car topped. the aka's and ama's disconnect easily and the masts just pop out. fun in the sun.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #459
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Talking

Quote:
Geepers I'm a lucky paddler.
I paddled 2 new Eddyline designs this weekend and 2 Hobie sailing tri's.
The 14 foot Carribean is a stretched out 12. only weighs 3 lbs. more than the 12. That would be 48 lbs for this particular boat. It did not have the center rod holder hatch yet installed. This 14 has a lot more room in front of you than the 12. It paddles like a sit on top altho the Eddylines are a bit faster than all the other RM SOT's.and more responsive,
Also paddled Eddyline's NEW Raven! Fun boat, surfs easy, turns quick when edged, tons of room in the cockpit,and as always FIRST CABIN finish. A real nice kayak for messin around in waves, rivers,well I like moving water and I like this boat.
I have been wondering about the Eddyline Raven.... How much does it weigh? How long is it? Would a SOTer transitioning to a sit-inside be comfortable?

Just looking at Dan's photo of the 14' Caribbean, I like some of the changes they have made, starting with the retractable(?) carrying handles on the bow and stern....I duct-taped mine down on the trip to Lassen (they bounce all over, driving me a little nuts). I really like the length and weight (45 lbs) of the 12'....at 5'5", I have plenty of cockpit space! However, I DO like the redesign of the rod holder hatch....just makes more sense! It's cool that Eddyline seems to be very responsive to customer input on design features.

It sounds like you had a great time at Tahoe!!!!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #460
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
Just looking at Dan's photo of the 14' Caribbean, I like some of the changes they have made,
Where did you find this photo?

Thanks
Chris

Tags
kayak