Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #61
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi All. We have tented it. We have Pop-Up it. We have tented it again and now we have a 26 year old Airstream that looks 26 years old. It is, what I felt was, the best we could afford. Everything works and it tows great. We paid cash for it. It looks pretty good too.

Come along anytime, you can park your nice shiney new one next to us or you can park your Pop-up or plop your tent too. All are welcome. I'll even buy the beer.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi All. We have tented it. We have Pop-Up it. We have tented it again and now we have a 26 year old Airstream that looks 26 years old. It is, what I felt was, the best we could afford. Everything works and it tows great. We paid cash for it. It looks pretty good too.

Come along anytime, you can park your nice shiney new one next to us or you can park your Pop-up or plop your tent too. All are welcome. I'll even buy the beer.

OK! You got me with the beer offer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree completely with Finalcutjoe and a lot of the posters.

I am an engineer and used to work for a large company with lots of engineers. I think that a lot of them were insecure- they wanted you to buy what they bought. That way they felt good about their purchase. I don't give a flip about what somebody else bought. To each his own. If everybody bought the same stuff, would this not be just a big bore?

I use the forum as a learning tool- to learn about Airstream stuff and places to put on my Bucket List. I have been known to get on my soapbox about items like LED lights because I think that they are great as I like to boondock. If other folks don't like them or need them that is fine. But if I did not relay my joy about the advantages of LED lighting, ie. just kept it a secret, I might not be able to help the next Airstreamer that is boondocking and having battery problems. So I guess that I feel a responsibility to pass on info that will help somebody else.

We all buy what works best for us. I bought a new TV in 2008 for 25K. I would like to buy a new Airstream too, but I can not come close to affording one. Plus you can make a vintage Airstream just as good as a new one with new axles, brakes and new appliances (plus a few other improvements to the electrical and plumbing systems, etc). You can not make an old TV just as good as a new one IMHO.

But like Mike says camping is camping; I don't care if the guy next to me is in a tent or a Prevost, I will go talk to him and hopefully they are both happy cuz they are camping and not working.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(2.) A $300.00 vacuum cleaner.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

(4.) All new wheels and disk brakes.

(5.) A $1,200.00 brake controller.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Note: I don't have any of these items listed.
I thought I had marked this thread to ignore. However it popped up again, so I will take that as a sign to express my take on the subject.

I don't know what got you started on this, but I think it is based on your interpretations of other's motives. That is always a risky business. (It is also what I'm doing now)

As I think about it, most of the posts that I remember fitting your lament, are either responses to "what do you use?" questions, or else someone being excited about some new product they bought and wanting to share their excitment.

So as I understand it, if someone's advice is not to your likeing, then they should keep it to themself. Please remember a few facts:

You are not the only one on the forums, so what offends you, might be helpful to someone else.

If everyone shared your exact same set of likes and dislikes, the world would be a very boring place although you might feel more secure.

If you are reading something that is offensive to you, then stop reading it.

Finally, never let others know where your goat is tied. There are those such as I, who will go to great efforts to get it simply for their own amusement.

Relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday season.

Ken

P.S. no charge for the counseling. I'm not licensed anyway.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I just bought this to keep the grass down around my Airstream, It is the latest and greatest. It also fertilizes as it cuts the grass. $ 600.00

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #66
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Who is paying $3000+ for a hitch anymore?

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Beer

Polarlyse, one on the forum might want to know is it brand name beer or no label ????
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
and does it come with a goat???
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #69
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Got one of these ordered for the Burb....
Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Goat

With the goat, we wouldn't have to worry about getting rid of the cans.....
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red View Post
With the goat, we wouldn't have to worry about getting rid of the cans.....
I'm concerned that the goat might actually eat the Airstream. Isn't it really just a very large can?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm concerned that the goat might actually eat the Airstream. Isn't it really just a very large can?

Ken
This is how I lost my lawn mower.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Thank you for posting.

Hi, I will make this statement simple so as to not further confuse the confused. This thread has spread like a wild fire and has become far more interesting than I ever believed it was possible. Actually, only a very small percentage of replies show that a few people actually understood what this thread is really about.

Nobody has shamed me into anything. I did not finance my trailer or tow vehicle and the prices in the original post are fictitious examples. I'm far from rich, but I can afford items that I choose not to buy.

And Robert Cross, that item that you mentioned is definately out of my price range, But I'm OK with that because it looks to have a GM bolt pattern and won't fit in my Lincoln anyway.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
... only a very small percentage of replies show that a few people actually understood what this thread is really about.
What are you saying? We totally understand ... It's a thread about using a goat when an alligator eats your lawnmower.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #75
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Confusing? No, it was clear enough.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Talking The Silver Airstream

Quote:
Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(2.) A $300.00 vacuum cleaner.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

(4.) All new wheels and disk brakes.

(5.) A $1,200.00 brake controller.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Note: I don't have any of these items listed.
I have a $3000 hitch, just cost me $595 (Reese dual cam) silly people pay to much.

I have a $23 liteweight wet dry vac from WalMart, it will suck the eyes off a gnat at 30 yards, and it fits in bottom of the mirror cabinet. It's been priceless working around the rig. (value to me $300).

I bought two ceramic heaters that will run you out of the 30 foot coccoon, (have to admit they came from my 40 foot motorhome).

Just painted the old wheels and they look great with trim rings, and I don't have to polish them.

My new P3 Prodigy controller was a cool deal at $114 with shipping and it plugged in to my new to me Ford.

But I have to admit I keep seeing one more thing to fix, clean, make look better on this thing, and it's delightful

The more serious we are the more miserable we get.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up Keep the beer cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post

Dang now I read this post, keep the beer cold and I'll be up in the summer.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #78
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well you all are welcome here in NJ this summer. I won't be here but come on down. Ole Red, Brand name beer or sometimes something interesting and local but I do like my Deutsche Bier. Lived in Germany for awhile in the Army. My rear bumper will be heading west sometime in June if you'l like to tag along. Lookin for some peace and quiet in places that I won't need any AC.

Can't guarantee the beer will be cold. Depends on my batteries and propane

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies
The more serious we are the more miserable we get.
True dat
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
My own two cents: I really dislike it when people take their opinions and decisions and then use them to make value judgements on someone else's opinions and decisions.

So if I hear myself saying, "I believe in the value of hard work and making conservative and wise decisions about my financial matters," I think I'm good with that. If I add, "and all those other people who don't make the same decisions? Well, they're lazy good for nothings who know nothing about life as it should be lived and obviously they aren't real *insert whatever labels you like here*", then, honey, I am out of line.

What one person considers to be lazy is someone else's keeping things less stressful. What one person considers an irresponsible decision about money, another person considers money well spent for an experience. When we start deciding that we can decide for others what makes sense for their lives using ours as the ruler by which we measure wiseness, we're in trouble.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote