Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Jackson Center Confidential

Well for the umpteenth time I took the factory tour today - mainly to get the discount on some stuff I wanted from the store. Not really much to report. Production is still about 14 a week so it appears sales haven't picked up since early May when it was also 14. The 17' Sport is discontinued and replaced by a 16' Sport. Why? Beats me. There were 2 of the larger Euro units on the line and I got a chance to see the almost complete - except for appliances - inside. I'd really like to see one of these when it's complete but to do that I'd have to go to Europe as they're finished over there. They do look like they'd be very crowded inside but since I travel alone that wouldn't bother me - I don't think. Only other thing of interest was a finished special media center trailer that was sitting outside the factory ready for shipment. Don did mention that Airstream employment is about half what it was at peak a couple of years ago. That's about it for the moment.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We did the tour July 4th week. The line was idle then - it was good as you could look in a lot of different units at a lot of different stages.

I'm infatuated with one of the European units. For just my wife and I, they would be great. Having surge brakes on my T@B, and often borrowing company cars to tow with, that feature would be a plus for me here. Maybe we'll go see them in the UK when we visit my wife's family.

Very curious as to what the 16' Sport is though. Hmm. Maybe that move makes sense, given that they were building about 6 16' CCDs when we visited and no Sports....

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
One thing I did forget - Airstream has a new Life Is Good t-shirt. This one is green and shows a small AS being towed by a convertible. It can be seen on the Airstream Store. It appeared that except for a few ladies sizes the blue version is sold out. Don't know if they'll be getting any more or not.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Maybe a silly question - I wonder if the reduction in the number of manufactured units - presumably made by the folks with the most experience in the plant - would produce a higher quality trailer? - i.e. fewer quality control problems than we've been reading about elsewhere on this website? - and if there were a time to order your trailer - this would be it?

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
I was there for the first time this last Monday. What a cool place. There was a man in the check out line that used to work there for 33 years. He actually drove some of the rivets in my 76!!!! Anyway it was neat to visit the place of my babies deliverey.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
glad to hear production is up. When we took the tour on June 24 Don said it was 9 per week.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
we took the tour last friday. Forgot to ask for my discount!

Fun time, though! I LOVE the 39 out front. :-D

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote