Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
I've got a size complex

Just got back from Jellystone Park in Amhurstberg. Our site was directly across from the pool so all could admire our little soup can.

Boy our Bambi looks tiny! Especially when you see some of the behemoths folks tow!!

Yet to go to a site and meet another Airstreamer...

Lot's of looks and comments, between the can, my right hand drive truck or the big black snorkel sticking out the hood, we're quite the sight.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yeah, those of us with the wee little trailers certainly get towered over! We camped next to a Prevost one night, and we wondered if they could just stick our trailer in their storage compartment and save us some gas getting on down the road

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Got pics? We love 'em! Besides, big doesn't mean better Someone recently in a Forums post said that the majority of Airstreamers upgrade in size. I think a poll investigating that would be interesting. While we love our 31' Classic Limited, what I hope we change to is an older 19-23' vintage model that will fit in more FS sites and be generally easier for us to handle. How many want to grow larger and how many hope to go smaller in the future and why? Meanwhile, enjoy your little Bambi! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
piccie

Here's our soup can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jelly.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	23833  
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Two Footitis

Yea, you got a small case of it. Always thinking that another two feet of trailer is just what you need.
Me? Started with a Pop-Up. then a 16 foot canned ham, then the 20 foot GT. I think I need a Safari or Tradewind.
The cure? When you can't swing into the "perfect" spot because the trees are too close or the sites too narrow.
This will fix you for a while. Then your wife says we need a bigger front room.
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Gowyn - We were thinking the exact same thing on a recent family vacation - our tiny little tube of a camper nestled between some mansions on wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
How many want to grow larger and how many hope to go smaller in the future and why? ~G
Recently, someone commented that our little Minuet (24') is perfect for two........we are four. And even if we decided to add another little person to our gang, we're content with her size. I must admit that sometimes, when hubby's in the north wing and I in the south wing and the kids somewhere in between, getting to the other end is a little tricky.......

I'm quite certain, to some, ours is the clown car of campers with person after person emerging from her front door...

Until my motto changes, upgrading is out of the question. "What motto?" You ask? A camper should be big enough that you can comfortably hang out and play games while it's raining, but small enough that when it's not, you can't wait to get outside. And ours is just that.
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
We too had a behemoth Prevost pull in next to us one day. What was funny to us is that they couldn't let their britches touch them until they got out to ask if they could look inside our shiny Airstream. I'm thinking, why does he want to look inside ours when we could have had a party in theirs! I think we did.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
How many want to grow larger and how many hope to go smaller in the future and why?
How many want to stay the same (I do! I do!)? Mine is perfect just as it is

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello hotLAVA,

Our 60 24ft tradewind is just right ,for all four of us,myself ,my honey and
the kids .

Its all good !

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
How many want to stay the same (I do! I do!)? Mine is perfect just as it is
Perfectly content with our 21' here. We travel 3 of us so far and have'nt felt cramped at all. I feel it forces us to travel light which equals less worries in my mind, less packing and unpacking...also less cleaning...just load the food and go. I can't imagine towing anything bigger although I'm sure you would get use to it. This past weekend following a friend to camp..she made two wrong turns....two turnarounds I would have rather avoided!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Went from a 34' avion tag-along to a 25' classic moho. Smaller is better
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:49 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
25' Safari

Our 25' Safari has turned out to be perfect for the two of us. Even our 25' is usually one of the smallest units in the RV park whenever we camp. Lucy (our AS) is most often the only Airstream in the park. Lucy gathers a crowd when we set up which makes us somewhat nervous since we are new to RV-ing. We find it more difficult backing into a site with several people watching. It's the only downside of owning an Airstream.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Campsite choices

Ditto here. There are lots of huge moho's and 5th wheels in most private campgrounds, but when you go to the less expensive state and county parks, the smaller pop-ups, canned hams and ancient winnies are much more prevalent.

It's interesting that so few people outside the Airstream community are even aware of the unique modern interior of the CCD and Special Edition Safaris. Anytime anyone is curious about mine, I make a point to invite them to peek through it. Almost without exception the guest steps in, and just freezes for a moment... standing slack jawed. Then there's an intake of breath, a faint smile and a soft "wow". Then the hand reaches up and gently strokes the curved ceiling... It's fun to watch.

Even when I've gone to Airstream rallies where there are mostly vintage folks, I've seen some who are seeing the bare aluminum for the first time and you can just see their minds re-working how they are going to restore their interiors!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Recently a fellow campground camper asked to see the inside of Chummy. While he was inside he asked if I missed having a slIdeout? I replied saying: "no, when it is bedtime I can just show my guests there are only two beds in here and they get the message quickly." No sleepovers for us anymore. We can seat five at the table for dinner but sure like our Airstream privacy at night.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Last week I was at Lake Anna State Park (VA) and we must of had the smallest unit there (if you don't count pop-ups and tents). Anyway, all these big motorhomes, 5th Wheels and "long, long trailer" don't appeal to me. I like simplicity, the light weight and short lenghth of our 22' CCD.

You probably won't see these behemoths at out next destination, the Jefferson National Forest. Anything greater than 25' is a problem.

I've fought the temptation to upgrade to a larger unit. Why restrict myself access to some of the quietest and peaceful (and cheapest) campgrounds around. I'll stick with my 22 footer.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Back years ago we stopped in at Colorado Springs and ended up staying 3 days in the KOA. At that time it was almost full due to a big Prevost rally. At the time I had a 21' Hi-Lo and to tell you that it was intimidating would be a mild statement. I remember these guys opening up the basement storage and sliding out a stainless steel barbeque grill. Pop another storage door next to it and out comes a big TV and sound system. And the graphics on the sides of these busses. It was some cool art. One of the guys came by our trailer and offered my then 16 year old son $20 if he would blacken his tires for him. I think the tire was as tall as my son.

I had a chance to show my trailer to a good friend who was a pilot. He flew in WW2 and then flew a Gulfstream as a corporate pilot until his retirement. It was neat as he touched the outside skin as his hands traveled down the rivet lines. I think he was quite overwhelmed. I told him that this was my airplane.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Keep it simple!

Quote:
Got pics? We love 'em! Besides, big doesn't mean better Someone recently in a Forums post said that the majority of Airstreamers upgrade in size. I think a poll investigating that would be interesting. While we love our 31' Classic Limited, what I hope we change to is an older 19-23' vintage model that will fit in more FS sites and be generally easier for us to handle. How many want to grow larger and how many hope to go smaller in the future and why? Meanwhile, enjoy your little Bambi! ~G
We want to stay the same! We agree with Stephanie! Besides just a year ago we "upgraded" in size by purchasing our Bambi ~ went from a 1946 teardrop (of course we still have that darling little thing!) Used to have a big ole 5th wheel. Icky. Too hard to handle, too hard to park, too much gas.

Besides, ours is paid for! And, now days there are only two of us. Kids are grown.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
We want to stay the same! We agree with Stephanie! Besides just a year ago we "upgraded" in size by purchasing our Bambi ~ went from a 1946 teardrop (of course we still have that darling little thing!) Used to have a big ole 5th wheel. Icky. Too hard to handle, too hard to park, too much gas.

Besides, ours is paid for! And, now days there are only two of us. Kids are grown.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
The PO of my 25' Sovereign sent me an email asking if I still liked the trailer I bought from him April '05. He bought a larger SOB and says he now wishes he had kept the trailer for caravanning. It's mine, do you hear me, it's mine and I'm not selling! Although most of the trips I have taken have been solo, there is still hope for my wife to be converted from the "Holiday Inn camping" mentality. BTW, I had a 31' and went down to the 25'.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Each to their own ... but I kinda feel sorry for those folks with the monster units - their "RV" experience is pretty much related to the unit itself - and the "field" it is parked in.

In the RV world those who think "bigger is better" just don't get it.

A small unit permits a level of exploration and relationship with the landscape that can never be achieved with the "Big Rig"

.... our gain .... their loss.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #20
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
We like our 28' just fine for all the reasons stated above, that is to clarify we're not ruling out changes to the interior (d-i-n-e-t-t-e)over time