Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"I've been everywhere, Babe..."

Well, no, we're not going anywhere this summer, so here we are in the middle of July, stuck in the middle of Missouri with no trips in sight. We're (I'm) in desperate need of some "what's around the bend" news from those of you out there on the road. Where have you gone, where will you soon be going, where are you right now? Take me away here on the forum when I'm home caring for my mother this summer. Many of you have cared for your ill family members also and will understand how much a hint of camping fun will lighten the days around here. Perhaps your stories will reach some other stay-at-homes this summer too Thanks...G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hope everything return to better times for everyone there soon! I will tell you where we went when we got our axles changed. We picked up our "Moonunit" in a small town East of Pueblo, Colorado where we had the work done and then went SE of Pueblo to a very lovely campground called Lake Isabelle. Here is a pic or two. More on next post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonunit at Lake Isabelle June 09.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	616.9 KB
ID:	84425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Isabelle from hike trail.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	84426  

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Not camping but I have been wandering)...started out in NC in January, March-May I was in Ohio, part of May in SC near Charleston. Then off to the Hearland. Been in Iowa City, IA since June, going back to NC for a couple of weeks end of August. Then either back to Iowa or on to Carthage, MO. Hoping to be home by Thanksgiving.

Iowa City has been a fun stay, summer weather has been cooler than normal, lots of beer too

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Good idea for a thread G. This is going to be good!! Yea!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
While at Isabelle, we visited Bishops Castle (we have visited before and wanted to see progress). The castle has been one man's quest/vision for over 30 years. People from every country visit and are in awe of his dedication and the amount of work. The dragon use to blow smoke, but local gov't shut that down. Still a sight to behold and a wonder to wander...
Continue on next post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front of castle.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	84427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking toward front.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	84428  

Name:	Castle from side.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	84429  

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
We finished up our 10 day trip with a stop at Mueller State Campground west of Colorado Springs. A very nice place to stay w/many trails both inside/outside the park. Dogs can't walk the trails inside, , but can walk the roads which are nice in the evening and friendly to visit w/others camped there. We actually talked w/a couple who don't live to far from us and were camped just a couple spaces down. The views of the back of Pikes Peak were very nice. I placed a review of this campground in the West section of the Campground Reviews for others. It has electric hookups and many other conveniences. A nice, restful place. Here are pics from our particular campspot there.

I hope some of these pics will give you the chance to relax and "find a quiet spot" for awhile. We all need those, for sure!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Peakview pond.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	84430   Click image for larger version

Name:	View of back of Pikes Peak from Mueller.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	620.7 KB
ID:	84431  

Name:	looking back at #5.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	616.3 KB
ID:	84432  

Old 07-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Wonderful! I hope more of you will join in with your summer trek tales. I'm a sucker for trip stories, imagining myself on every one The castle looks fantastic, to coin a "martha" phrase and pictures are perfect for take-me-aways.. I remember Shari describing Mueller SP in Colorado, and it's on a list of wanna do trips when we're on the road again. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
....... We're (I'm) in desperate need of some "what's around the bend" news from those of you out there on the road. ......... Take me away here on the forum when I'm home caring for my mother this summer. Many of you have cared for your ill family members also and will understand how much a hint of camping fun will lighten the days around here. ....... Thanks...G
I hear you talking. I spent about a month earlier this summer on the road, but my heart wasn't really in to it. I ended up coming east about a month ago to be with my brother who was ill. He passed yesterday, and I am looking ahead. Since I don't have a teaching position for the fall, I am starting to look at a long fall trip. I am taking mom to the balloon festival in NM while I have the chance, and maybe doing the desert parks while its cooler. Maybe I can come up with enough images for a calender or maybe a small show.
Enjoy your mother while you can, and come out on the road again when the time is right.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Our family just returned from a 17 day trip. Georgia to California. 6400mi.
We started a 'Vlog' of our journey. Couldn't keep it up due to major technical difficulties. Enjoy what we have on so far and hopefully I will get around to finishing the trip journal soon. It is under 'Epic Graduation Trip' on the forum or you can go to my blog:
Ether Bourn
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I did manage to get out on a couple of trips this year and, as usual, headed for the out-of-the-way places. Fairly untouched areas, but that do not have the "velvet ropes" around them yet. I still like to see, feel, and touch things.

On the way to a family reunion in Minnesota I took the oportunity to explore the toadstool area in NW Nebraska.

Earlier in the year I did some exploring in the Owyhee Canyon country.

And earlier yet, I wandered down into Nevada and soaked in a hot stream for a couple of days. The creek crossings were too abrupt for the Safari so I took the Boles Aero.

I have found I am much happier taking my time on a short trip than rushing to get somewhere on a long trip. Freeways are for those who have only a destination. I avoid freeways whenever possible and have an adventure.
When you cannot go, get out the maps and plan.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010027.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	84447   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010040.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	84448  

Name:	P1010062.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	84449  
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Mine isn't exactly a trip, but it sure was exciting... Take a look under Community on Off Topic Subject, then find, "Has anyone else had a bear climb in?" Sometimes you don't need to travel far to wake up and find yourself in the wilderness...

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
may I suggest...

Quote:
Take me away here on the forum when I'm home caring for my mother this summer. Many of you have cared for your ill family members also and will understand how much a hint of camping fun will lighten the days around here. Perhaps your stories will reach some other stay-at-homes this summer too Thanks...G
Larry and I have been taking care of my parents for the past 9 yrs. My mom was the last to pass away in Mar. this year, so we are now free to get back to camping with our "new to us" 1989 Excella. While we were stuck at home doing our best to care for them, we offered courtesy parking here at home and posted it on the forums. We have had many, many lovely days when wonderful forums members stopped in to use our "driveway camping spot". (Thank you all who stopped by!) Larry fixed up hookups and even made us a backyard fire pit. It let us live vicariously through their adventures and they shared great stories and tips with us. We met some great folks and we didn't feel half so deprived of what we love to do. I hope that you have a little spot in your driveway where you could do the same.
Lou and Larry in Ohio...on the road to the Metro-Detroit rally this coming weekend.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
maxandgeorgia
I hear you..It's not easy but, we all do it at one time or another.
I am old enough to remember when my Great-Grandmother would live with each of her children for 2 or 3 month bfore going on to the other one..What a joy she was`!! We all looked forward to her visits.
As a diversion..
This Thursday past, I left Kansas City Airport for a 27 hr flight`!! What an ODSSESY that was~ Got caught in a severe storm and, ended up spending 12 hrs in Washington, DC..Finally, I was able to book a standby and, flew into Manchester, NH late Friday night..
Spin forward..
2 AM Saturday morning, the 25th, I was up and, on my way for my 165 mile drive to the summit of Mount Washington for the fund raising event called "SEEK THE PEAK"..
This was in support of Mount Washington Weather Observatory, located on the top of the summit. (There were nearly 400 people there Saturday for this event..)
During my trip I saw a huge Black bear and, moments later had a extremely large Moose cross the road in front of me in Jefferson, NH..Talk abt excitememts`!!
It took me 4 hours one way but, Yep, I climbed Mt Washington via the Tuckerman Ravine..Not bad for a old man.. total R/T climb was a little under 8.5 miles~
Here are a couple of pictures for you..
ciao
53FC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SANY5388.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	84559   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY5358.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	84560  

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
maxandgeorgia (and all you others),

It is very, very generous of you to take such pleasure and delight in other people's trips, when you are unable at this time to travel yourself---just wanted to say that.

The one surviving parent, between the two of us, will be 92 this year, still lives on her own in the farmhouse, drives herself to town every day for lunch at the senior center, to see the doctor, go to church, get to the grocery store and pharmacy, etc. She is a couple hundred miles from us in Iowa but has a half-dozen family members within a a few miles who check in on her daily. We stay in touch by phone and email when we are away, and feel very, very fortunate to be able to go and do and see as we do. Your turn will come again. Take care.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Very sorry to hear you'll not be getting out this summer. Our time is coming sooner that we hope with similar circumstances.

Just back from a 15 day 3000+ mile trip From Omaha NE to Seeley Lake Montana. Normally don't like to travel that far in that short amount of time but this was for a family reunion. Took a few days and camped at Holter Lake between Great Falls and Helena and lolly-gagged home camping in the Poudre River Caynon along highway 14 in Colorado.

Cheryl parents still winter in Texas but need one of the kids to take them. We've done so the past 2 years but not taken the A/S. Thinking about volunteering and taking another extended trip.

Great idea for a thread...hope you enjoy the 2 pictures of Holter and Poudre.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010389.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	84564   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010511.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	512.6 KB
ID:	84565  

Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Just got back from a week long road trip, Austin to Fort Davis State Park, and drove around the Big Bend area, then up to Durango area and made camp at Lake Haviland,Campground. Drove up to Silverton and to Black Canyon of the Gunision . Then went over to Mesa Verde and made camp. Then back home to Austin. First long trip with the Bambi. I pulled it with my Jeep Commander, only problem was a nail in the TV's front tire coming into Santa Rosa NM.

c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #17
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up The smell of de-feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I did manage to get out on a couple of trips this year and, as usual, headed for the out-of-the-way places. Fairly untouched areas, but that do not have the "velvet ropes" around them yet. I still like to see, feel, and touch things.

On the way to a family reunion in Minnesota I took the oportunity to explore the toadstool area in NW Nebraska.

Earlier in the year I did some exploring in the Owyhee Canyon country.

And earlier yet, I wandered down into Nevada and soaked in a hot stream for a couple of days. The creek crossings were too abrupt for the Safari so I took the Boles Aero.

I have found I am much happier taking my time on a short trip than rushing to get somewhere on a long trip. Freeways are for those who have only a destination. I avoid freeways whenever possible and have an adventure.
When you cannot go, get out the maps and plan.
Sam
Sam, great feet foto!
Where is this hot spring in NV?
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
...... Many of you have cared for your ill family members also and will understand how much a hint of camping fun will lighten the days around here. Perhaps your stories will reach some other stay-at-homes this summer too Thanks...G
~G, it has been a long time since I scanned through the forums. I came across your thread and I really do feel for you. I have been in the same situation so many times - wanting so badly to get out on the road I can taste it - but situations just seem to keep the wheels firm in the driveway. Whether it is money, other commitments, family obligations - or just simply nothing going on anywhere close and yep even mechanical issues either with the trailer or the tow vehicle that keep you grounded.

My desperate "run away from home" trip - that was so badly needed in so many different ways - took me back to SC Charleston - I know a touch of insanity set in (it is hot this time of year - but then we have had such a cold and wet summer it was actually quite a nice change) I also lucked out with their temps dropping a bit below normal tee hee - and only had mid to high 80's. My last day though jumped to 90 in the shade at 9:00 am TG I was heading north.

Really I just needed to get on the road - and 2 days driving 5 days of fun with a great friend and another 2 days of driving - was the crazy "freedom" I needed to help me get a bit of a spring back in my step.

These past 4 years Peter and I have not had much time to travel due to his change in job. But that itch is driving me nuts.

However we have a 3 week holiday coming up - but the finances have taken a huge beating over the likes of this waterfront lot - leaving us having to be innovative on what kind of vacation we can squeeze in this year - unlike our fabulous Eastern Holiday last year.

So our first week - we have negotiated our cousins driveway - whose house is located on Lake Ontario. We have a pebble beach for the dogs, endless water and river inlets to kayak, some fun entertainment at the local pub and marina for a very economical price $0.00/day which meets our budget perfectly. W/E hook ups and an RV dump station just around the corner when we need it. (not sure on the wifi will have to check that with them.) They have a lovely back yard that runs all the way to the shore line.

My Dad arrives the following Saturday back home from his trip to Wales so we will head home for the Sunday drop him off do a bit of laundry and then replenish supplies and then head out for the Bruce Peninsula. Not sure where we will stay - most likely somewhere free if we can - and just head into some of the Provincial Parks to see if we might luck out with a walk in spot here and there.

Once again head back for the weekend to our home recharge and then possibly head out to our first Rally in a very long time - Possibly thinking of joining the Rally in Eastern Ontario to join our friends Annie and Marvin before they head for the sunny South again for the winter.

In the interim of traveling - you can find me sitting in my ModPod daydreaming of the travels to come, napping in the afternoon sun that shines through the front window, or tinkering to fix this or that.

Take your imagination ~G into your trailer (if you keep it at your house) - or maybe if you don't and can bring it over and have lunches or special breakfasts - or just spend the night driveway camping - set up the awning - bring out the lawn chairs and your photo albums and reminisce. If your Mum is well enough to join you - it would be some very special times to share with her too.

Will be sure to come back to this thread and post some pics of our "economical holiday"

Keep your chin up ~G you will get out on the road again
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote