Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It's Thursday and I'm glad my truck is broken

You know, fate has a weird way of screwing with you. Here I am, loving the King Ranch, hating the 6.0 because the FICM is dead and the truck is sitting in my driveway, so I took my son, Mikey to football practice this afternoon with the wife's 2001 BMW 740iL.....our baby.

On the way home, I took the back road, which is winding. Picture it, the sun is going down and we're a mile away from home when.....

A buck jumped out from the corn field and hit us broadside...we were only doing 45MPH. The buck's head broke the side window and his antlers came into the car. Mikey screamed and I thought the antlers had gotten him in the head.

Instantly, the BMW died....it's designed to shut all power off to the engine, fuel pump and other major components, and we coasted to the side of the road. I immediately checked Mikey out and, thank God, he just had a couple of scratches from the glass, but he wasn't hurt.

Here's the great thing about living in Texas....people stop to help you, when you're stranded on the side of the road. A guy in a 3500 Ram CTD pulled over and got out with his son. Turns out he works for my next door neighbor, and he offered to take Mikey home....I gladly accepted. I got on the phone with my insurance company and got the roadside assistance folks in gear to come get the Bimmer.

About twenty minutes later, another truck...this time an '09 6.4 King Ranch....came by with his horse trailer and asked if I was okay. He lived right down the road and told me he'd drop the trailer and horse off and come back. Ten minutes after that an '05 3500 CTD came by and pulled over. The guy asked me if I was thirsty and I gladly accepted.....Coors Light never tasted so good. The guy with the 6.4, Charley, came back and we sat there BS'ing, until the flatbed showed up. Charley asked me if Mikey would like the antlers, and I told him definitely, so he drove down to where the buck was and proceeded to take the antlers off for Mikey.

Once the flatbed had the 740 on the back, Justin...the guy with the '05 3500....took me down to Charley....turns out the buck was an eight-pointer. I really considered gutting him, but I was still in uniform and didn't feel like getting bloody. Charley gave me the antlers and we shook hands. Justin took me home.

When we got home, I put the antlers in the garage to dry out. I then went over to my work bench and got a Mopar box and gave it to Justin....a factory 6-disc CD player that I took out of my '05, when I traded it. That's how we say thanks, where I come from.

So, I've been pissed off that my 6.0 is SOL in my driveway, but as it turns out it would be the truck getting jacked up and not the Bimmer. I say this because buying the Bimmer was a huge financial mistake and it's probably totalled.....we have gap insurance, so everything is all good in the universe.

The important thing is that noone was hurt.......

Except the buck.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yeah, deer collisions are no fun. It's amazing how much damage they can cause. Glad no one was hurt, and I hope things work out ok for you.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yeeow! Ditto on the nobody hurt. Tough month for vehicles there.

The Air Force had trouble finding full time roles for prop jockeys back in the 60s. So we spent a few years at Texas A&M while my dad took a turn at ROTC instructing. A favorite sunset entertainment was driving around ranchland and counting a hundred, hundred-fifty or more deer back in near cover. Texas whitetails are like that. At least never drive in the hill country when the sun goes down.

[after A&M they requalified him in Gooney Birds and sent him to Takhli, Thailand - a Thud base. his best experience was when the USO Herc's FICM went down (yeah, right) -- and he got to fly Roy Acuff around.]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you got lucky for sure!

a buddy at work had a buck smash through the driver's side window on his silverado.

it knocked him out cold for 30 min.

john
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
So apparently my estimating skills aren't what they used to be. Turns out we have $4053.08 worth of damage so far, well below totalling value. New fender and two new doors, as well as a new side view mirror, OE from BMW, and some metal massaging in the rear quarter.

On the flip side, at we'll be getting our King Ranch back tomorrow afternoon....new FICM and all the latest and greatest programming for the FICM, PCM and TCM. Hopefully we'll get some MPGs back.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote