Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #81
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Sorry about that, Bob. Naturally it hasn't come again since early this morning.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #82
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When someone objects to an ad because they have "high standards" they are telling others they have "low standards". I suggest the standards are different, not high or low.

I know people are sensitive about many things such as ads, paying for the Forum, sex, religion, politics, big white boxes, speed limits (too high, too low, enforced, unenforced), Cuban medicine, etc. The commonality here is Airstreams and travel. We disagree on everything else. That's cool with me. I think we have to be ultra tolerant of others' views even if we think those views are pure idiocy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #83
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When someone objects to an ad because they have "high standards" they are telling others they have "low standards". I suggest the standards are different, not high or low....

Gene

That's not my point at all. I don't claim to be "better" than anybody else or have "higher" standards than anybody else. Well, ok, maybe I am a little. I just don't care for some of the things I'm seeing here lately. I suspect that there many more that agree with me than disagree. They just won't speak up.

Somebody has to say it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #84
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jim, thanks for your honesty: "Well, ok, maybe I am a little." When I don't like something, I always have more energy to challenge it. I think that's normal. The people who don't care about biker chic, etc., don't post. It's like the Marathon tire thread—those whose tires come apart post; others with tires that stay intact, don't post. The result is it looks like 3/4 of Marathons fall apart and lots of people are upset about various ads. The grossest thing I've seen is 2air's bucket of eyeballs (# 75).

Comments on the Forum about anything do not reflect a collective truth, they are anecdotal and may be accurate, but maybe not.

Gene
Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I have to chime in - I LOVE Biker chick!
I turned the ads and peel down off about a week ago. However if someone would please post when "Biker Girl" is on display I would turn them back on for a look see.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #86
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
mini-hijack?

[QUOTE=HowieE;597969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I have to chime in - I LOVE Biker chick! /quote]

I turned the ads and peel down off about a week ago. However if someone would please post when "Biker Girl" is on display I would turn them back on for a look see.
Howie, there are number of websites that are far "better" than the biker chic ad. If you want to know how to access them, many of us can explain it in a PM. Be sure to turn off cookies before exploring all your options.

On a more serious note, page peal has been discussed on another thread to no avail. Some of us have turned it off. Now I can't get any classifieds which seems to be an unintended consequence of the reaction to page peal. Classifieds bring money to the Forum, but stimulating people to turn them, and ads, off (I know there's a way to access them and turn off the peal, but I just can't be bothered) seems to be turning people off too. Wasn't this a more subtle hijack than Cuban medicine?

Gene
Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
...The grossest thing I've seen is 2air's bucket of eyeballs (# 75).

Gene
Gene -

You're just not looking hard enough!

and the recurring winner is....

2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
That's not my point at all. I don't claim to be "better" than anybody else or have "higher" standards than anybody else. Well, ok, maybe I am a little. I just don't care for some of the things I'm seeing here lately. I suspect that there many more that agree with me than disagree. They just won't speak up.

Somebody has to say it.

Jim
Absolutely!

Quote:
Jim, thanks for your honesty: "Well, ok, maybe I am a little." When I don't like something, I always have more energy to challenge it. I think that's normal. The people who don't care about biker chic, etc., don't post. It's like the Marathon tire thread—those whose tires come apart post; others with tires that stay intact, don't post. The result is it looks like 3/4 of Marathons fall apart and lots of people are upset about various ads. The grossest thing I've seen is 2air's bucket of eyeballs (# 75).

Comments on the Forum about anything do not reflect a collective truth, they are anecdotal and may be accurate, but maybe not.

Gene
But seriously, if we dropped "Karma" because our use here might be offensive to a few religions that so few practice (I'm talking in the US) then how can anyone even begin to justify an ad for "sexy Jesus" that has absolutely no purpose, but to be offensive to Christianity?
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
What do you think the ads are like on these other sites? Anyone a member of one the other boards? I spent some time on the Sailing Forum but haven't been over there in a long while.

Other Social Knowledge forum communities:
Cooking Forum - Sailing Forum - Early Retirement
Airstream Trailer Forum - Aquarium & Reef Forum
Royal Forum - Book and Reader Forum - Yoga Forum
Volkswagen Touareg Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Whitewater Kayaking & Rafting Forum - Yoga Forum
Interference - U2, Pop Culture & Social Responsibility

I belive that one site the Big Board Fourm is not listed in this group.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #90
_

. , .
i've never seen any of the ads in question but the only biker chicks i know where the garb pictured below...

one of the movies at sundance this year is hamlet 2 from the southpark gang...

ads and trailers and posters FOR this movie are on the apple site, google, yahoo and so on...

Hamlet 2 (movie trailer is rated G)

these movie ads are MAIN STREAM stuff, and there is a musical number in this flick with the sexy j man...

so it wouldn't surprise me to see ads in a typical google ad package for this movie.

i seem to recall LOTS of concern like this when jc superstar (musical, album and movie) was released almost 40 yrs ago...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biker_chick.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	64865   Click image for larger version

Name:	biker_chick3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	64866  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #91
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Correction—grossest thing on this thread is still the bucket of eyeballs (is 2air an opthamologist?).

Actually, the "recurring" champion was almost as sexy as biker chic (that's what happens when you get really old—old ladies look better that young ones [don't take me seriously, maybe]).

And, Great Pumpkin, is that one of you in front of Airstream #845_?

Gene
Old 08-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Correction—grossest thing on this thread is still the bucket of eyeballs (is 2air an opthamologist?).

Actually, the "recurring" champion was almost as sexy as biker chic (that's what happens when you get really old—old ladies look better that young ones [don't take me seriously, maybe]).
At my age, I'm happy to report that biker chic still has more eye candy than the "recurring" champion.

Quote:
And, Great Pumpkin, is that one of you in front of Airstream #845_?

Gene
perchance...but I don't wear tennis shoes...AIR 12256
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Tempest in a tea pot.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #94
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Y'know I've got nothing to go on here. McCain ad? One person saw it that I know. I've never seen bikerchick but that one seems more commonly reported. Sexy Jesus? Got a screen shot? That gives us something tangible to work from.

See! Dangling prepositions will never get complained about.
I also saw the ad.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #95
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Tempest in a tea pot.
Some folks don't agree. That's what makes this an interesting discussion.

Respectfully submitted.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Some folks don't agree. Jim
I never said my opinion was the only right one.

Just that it is my opinion and since we do have a 1st amendment in our country another hundred posts can be made on this topic. Enjoy.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:

Just that it is my opinion and since we do have a 1st amendment in our country another hundred posts can be made on this topic. Enjoy.
For now.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:21 AM   #98
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

Actually there are certain things that you cannot say right here, even if you are guaranteed free speech through the first amendment. If you cross a line, you will be put back behind it with a warning and if you do it again you will given warning points. And if you do it again, well, I don't know what happens after that because I have not tried to cross a third time.
You might want to go and review the rules. They spell out exactly what is NOT ALLOWED. The moderators are exercising great restraint right now.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hi, goingcamping and everyone else;
Regardless of any and all of our amendments, there should be such a thing as respect and courtesy for your fellow man, which has been long forgotten. Some of you sound like a bunch of mad dogs divided by a fence. I say it, because it's true!

The purpose of this forum is to share good things and good life. Instead we become like lions guarding their kill. The problem is, we not guarding our food, we are fighting over our own useless and worthless pile of poop. Thank God there is another side in life, where even buzzards share their find. This Forum is not for expression or testing of individuals political skills nor for the bashing of one's religious beliefs. While those ads do not upset me, I easily ignore them because I have a mind of my own and can read between the political lines. What upsets me is degrading ad which is intended to play a degrading role on one's religious belief in a demeaning way. Religion is a very personal issue, and at no point should we allow any form of demeaning to be expressed or exposed on Airstream Forums.

Example; While visiting your home I notice a large rock on the table and watch you bow your head before it. I will most definitely refrain from making any comments, giving your domain respect while I am at your house. What I think while keeping my mouth shut, is my amendment.
If I am capable of offering respect for your house, then you should at least respect my religion. If you do not, would you really want to know what I think of you? I am not about to disclose which denomination of religion I belong to because is none of anyone's business, but this old man will tear your face off if you get too sarcastic about it. Personally I think that the "Christ ad" is a slap in the face to Christianity and most of all, has nothing to do with the forums. Do we really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for ads?

What surprises me the most that moderators allow this nasty posts to evolve to no end in site, instead shutting it down at first sign of conflict. You want to discuss religion, join one of your choice and stay on their site not ours. You want to make nasty remarks about my religion, come see me. For God's sake, do we have to act that way? Some of you may say you're were joking, I say join a jokers forum. And YES, if you make pokes at anyone's religion publicly you are less than you should be. Sorry but I too, can exercise the free speech amendment. Thanks, "Boatdoc":angry : : angry:
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #100
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
We're all pretending this forum is a non-profit public service, when its a privately owned enterprise and the owner (thank goodness) can allow whatever adverts he chooses. It's your choice if you want to watch it.

I'm enjoying the discussions of health care, and especially the pictures
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote